“Check out gift "Bed bugs"”

The Monk Amsterdam Apartments
The Monk Amsterdam Apartments
Ranked #226 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I had stayed at monk not out of choice but was forced to as my booked apartment turned out to be a scam. The website that I booked from amsterdamstay.com had put me here. The location is perfect, just a few minutes away from Central station, close by the Red light area. For location I give it a 3. Well the downside to the location is everything else is crap. The apartment was dity, no clean towels(they were grey in color), no proper reception, bed bugs(when I say bed bugs, there were plenty of them that I couldn't sleep), rooms are in such a way that there is no ventilation. Bed room windows were sealed shut, torn sofa's, no washing machine, the balcony was a death trap(it was wet dirty with butts strewn all around).the toilets were dirty(shower pressure was pathetic),when we entered the apartment it had an odd smell. The dustbins had garbage in them when we checked in, there is no cleaning service. The greeter was an old dude and was very rude. The door to my apartment had an issue and was not easy to open. In short this place is not worth a single penny and would never recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank EKCATS

Reviewed 22 June 2013

This is one of the best kept secrets in Amsterdam in my opinion and I was actually hesitant about writing this review in case too many people find out about it! I have been staying here every business trip for the past 2 years and have always been surprised at the size of the apartments, if you have stayed in Amsterdam before then you will know that the typical lodging has barely enough space to fit your and your luggage and that's about it. The apartments I have stayed in have been huge in comparison, with a large lounge and a decent sized kitchen providing everything required to make it completely self catering. There is an Albert Heijn supermarket one minutes walk away, so my first port of call is normally to stock the cupboards with fresh produce (and some good wine!). The apartments are extremely well fitted out (they have been recently renovated) and very clean. I was lucky enough to be one of the first people to stay in one of the new canal side units which was very luxurious and had an amazing view of the Oudezijds Achterburgwal canal from the large windows in the lounge and dining room.

Henk, the proprietor, is an absolute pleasure to deal with and knows the area very well given that he has been restoring historical buildings in Amsterdam for the past few decades. I always enjoy chatting to him about the interesting projects that he has worked on, and it adds a nice personal touch to the overall experience. The only thing to bear in mind is that you need to walk through the red light district to get around by foot, so if you are offended by Amsterdam's window prostitution or have children then this should be taken into account. For travellers looking to experience the epitome of Amsterdam's vibrant nightlife there is probably no better location though.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Australian T
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I've just returned from a stag weekend where I stayed at the Monk Amsterdam apartments.
We booked 3 apartments for 13 guys and I couldn't fault the place. The location is absolutely perfect for a stag party, right in the heart of the red district, near loads of bars and all the other friendly sights in Amsterdam :o)
Apartments were big, clean, comfy and had patios for smoking etc.
Thoroughly recommend, also need mention the burger bar across the road, great grub!!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Scottish_Ross_1981
Reviewed 28 August 2012

When we made the booking we were promised an excellent location close to town, free parking, 4 bedrooms, outside space and various other things. We immediately agreed and put the booking in motion.

However, much later that day we were informed that we had been accidentally double booked and we were to take another apartment that was ‘very similar’. Unfortunately the new apartment was much further from town, 1 bedroom only, no free parking and no outside space.

We were not even able to open the patio doors, when pictures of the outside space were up on the website! Further to this we felt pushed into it as we had very little time left to book. A confirmation email also failed to get sent that we were promised with our terms and conditions, so most of this was not made known until we actually arrived in town.

We were also told that someone from our party could collect the keys during the day and go to the apartment first. When she arrived, she was told this was actually not possible, so we had to wait until the lady who booked the room could arrive and collect the keys, leaving the rest of us hanging around town, being unable to relax at the apartment, shower, get changed and park our vehicle. It took a further 45 minutes to sort the booking out once she had arrived, and for them to take a driving license from us.

We then had to pay for parking overnight which was an extra €30 euros.

When we complained the following morning to we were told the company could not be contacted because the offices are based in South America and do not open until 2pm. Check out is at 12pm so we were forced to pay the full amount despite being incredibly unhappy with the entire situation.

We have never experienced so many problems for a one night stay in a hotel, apartment or hostel ever before. We paid over €350 for this one night that was supposed to be relaxing and easy, and it is completely unacceptable to treat customers this way.

I have sent several emails complaining about our stay, and although I have been promised some compensation, I have been completely ignored. I have now sent a total of 6 emails so this is the only thing I can do is to stop others from having this kind of experience.

I would highly dissuade people from using this company as they clearly think it is acceptable to treat people this way.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank MishkinB
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I stayed here on a stag do last weekend and am really glad that I got recommended to stay here. Henk and all the staff were cracking and you're right in the thick of it so couldn't have asked anymore. It's not the Ritz inside but if you're in a group and looking to stay centrally with a decent amount of living space and not just a pokey hotel room then they're on the money.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hugh W
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Stayed here twice now and couldn't recommend enough. Clean, simple and reasonably priced. Great central location perfect for a weekend stay for a group of five or six. Friendly, helpful owner as well who makes the whole experience nice and easy. Anyone who doesn't rate this place is a tight fussbudget who wants 5 star accommodation but isn't prepared to pay for it!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Hi I stayed here for a hen party, and was disgusted to find bed bugs in the beds and on the walls, floor and ceiling of the apartments. My friends and I were bitten by these bugs, we were then cover in red itchy lumps!! We were offered no compensation or apology from the owners (who actually suggested that we might have brought the bed bugs with us in our suitcase!!) in short don't stay here!!! My experience of these apartments actually put me of Amsterdam!! I can honestly say I won't be back!

• Stayed: October 2011