“Rude Staff and Bedbugs!”

Stayokay Hostel Amsterdam Zeeburg
USA
“Rude Staff and Bedbugs!”
Reviewed 26 July 2008

I only have one thing to say and that is BEDBUGS!! Ugly, horrible, nasty little bedbugs. Luckily, I always check my mattress and the actual bed before I sleep and I was able to spot the little things right off the bat. My friend who had stayed the previous night was not so lucky and awoke to horrible little red bites all over his body. ABOSUTELY DISGUSTING! Bedbugs are hard to get rid of and not only that, but you can easily carry them home. I also found the staff to be extremely ill tempered. I did find the building to be okay compared to other things that I have heard about the Stayokay Zeeburg....however bedbugs and rude staff have made sure that I will never go back to this hostel.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Staff and the infestation of bedbugs
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank Vincent3538

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bucharest
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Hallo! I stayed in this hostel at the begining of february 2008. In one of the last nights, the night guard came in to the room and stoled one photo camera (canon 300d), an tripod foto camera, one baterry grip and some other few things. In total, the Stayokay Zeeburg night guard stoled aprox 700 Euro in objects. obvious, I informed the Police and hostel management.
The stayokay manager show me one tab with all the entries in the same wing with my room, and, except me, the only person who entered that winh in the period of rubbery was the Stayokay night guard. Even the manager told me that he is sure that the rubbery was commited by the night guard, but he can't do anything, because he has no other prove except that tab with all the entries in that wing of the building.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank DaBrick
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2008

I stayed here in Oct '07. I think it had just opened and there was still a lot of work being done on the place - staff not really ready. They were hiring out the dining/bar area for some sort of exhibition - which led to a clash of dressed up people at the bar and some backpackers in pyjamas (they had something stollen from their room and they were all talking to reception).

There was a constant droning of air conditioning towers all the time (we were in a dorm on the top floor). And you woke up and came out of bed to look across at office workers in the building across the courtyard. Strange. Not in town but not that far by taxi or tram. It may improve.

• Liked — Its newness and uniqueness of being an old school house
  • Disliked — Strange organisation/service but it may improve
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2008

This hostel is not cheap and is not great. Although it is modern and clean it is a fair way out of town and situated in a slightly dodgey neighborhood. It seems more like a hospital than a hostel.. No character. The rooms are nice and usually with bathrooms. If you stay here be prepared for a journey to get anywhere you want to go.

• Liked — Very clean (brand new) comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Bland and a long way from anything.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
Amadora
Reviewed 8 October 2007

The worst Hotel I have ever stayed in my life. Very good facilitires but lousy management. We had to change room 2 times during a one week stay. Everytime we changed room there was a problem: the room was not clean, one time they gave us a room that was a warehouse and the keys didn’t work.

One night they closed the hotel for a party, rented by a company and didn’t warn us so all the services in the Hotel were not available to the guests, only to the company that rented the place. And we were not informed beforehand!!! We wanted to have dinner that night and we couldn’t because the kitchen was closed to us. First I asked the reception if we could have dinner and the man told us yes. Later I asked the waiter in the restarurant to have dinner and he said we couldn’t. Then I asked him to go with me to the reception to put things clear and the man on the reception told me he didn’t tell me we could have dinner and told me “It is my word against yours!” . It is tolerable for a guest at a hotel to be called a liar....

The management at this hotel is lousy and they don’t respect you.

Do a favour to yourself and don’t stay in this Hotel.

We could suspect we had bad luck but the problem was only with us; all the people we talked to, an American couple, na Austrian Woman and two English girls had problems with the hotel organization.

• Liked — The location, easily accessible by public transport
  • Disliked — The overall experinece in the hotel is lousy: management, costumer care, cleanliness...
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank illion
Spain
Reviewed 30 July 2007

This is a huge hostel like 15 minutes away from the town centre by tram or bike, where I spent four nights in July 2007.

First, when I booked I saw they said on their website they had Internet, laundry and covered bike shed, but when I arrived I saw they had no Internet, no laundry and the bike shed was not for public use. Neither I have seen television lounge, pooltable nor luggage lockers, as they also say they have on their website.

In my room the main light and the bed lights didn't work and when going to bed it was too dark. It only worked one of the four plugs there were in the room, and we were there six people. There were no table nor chairs, as there were supposed to be.

I complained about that and the staff were not as polite and friendly as one could expect, but at least they fixed the plugs and lights and even offered me two free drinks (wow! - I'm being ironic).

When I just found out about the laundry and I was talking to this guy in reception this was part of our conversation:

Me - This is not nice, when I booked I saw on your website you had Internet and laundry and actually you don't.

Him - I'm sorry [really, not one more word]

Me - Yes, ok, but for example you could say on the website that at the moment you still don't have Internet nor laundry. Because I'm paying the hundred per cent of the fee and I'm getting like the seventy per cent of the service.

The guy kept staring at me but said nothing.

Me - Ok, thank you... [I hope he realised my irony]

Of course some other people from the staff were more helpful and friendly, but still it's not nice going there to talk about this and to find this guy.

Anyway, the hostel is not terrible (the breakfast is good and everything is quite clean and new) and I guess they'll improve some staff in the future, but yet I didn't like the atmosphere: it has nothing to see with the one I'm used to find at other hostels, here it's much colder since it's this big and new and serious. Actually, this would be not a 'backpacking' hostel but rather a huge, say, 'residence' for families and big groups (as they actually have a lot of that kind of guests).

I would only recommend it, precisely, to families and big groups who don't really care about the services the hostel does not offer (yet), but not to backpackers unless they're not able to find any other hostel here.

One last thing: Amsterdam is well worth a visit even if you have to stay at this hostel ;-)

• Liked — Clean and new
  • Disliked — The staff and the atmosphere, it's not too close to the town centre as many other hostels here
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank Chemi
amsterdam
Reviewed 27 July 2007

What a superb hostel, i think it is one of the nicest hostel i've ever slept in! The staff was good, the rooms were very clean and everything looked soo nice!! What I really liked is the good breakfast!

If you go to Amsterdam you should go to this hostel!

• Liked — The staff and good breakfast
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo