“A great first hostelling experience”

Stayokay Hostel Amsterdam Zeeburg
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Having never stayed in a hostel before I was a bit nervous as to what it would be like but I need not have worried although I imagine the Stayokay Zeeburg is somewhat of an exception to the rule.
My room was clean, the bedding was in sealed bags so you knew it was clean and I wasn't expecting ensuite facilities which were a massive bonus. The beds were comfortable although the pillows were pretty lumpy but possible to sleep on.
Breakfast was great and plentiful and you could take as much as you wanted which was again unexpected.
The staff were very friendly in all interactions we had with them.
Perhaps the only downside was that the lockers were not in the rooms but instead by reception so you had to trust that your bags would be safe in the room while you were out, something I felt happy doing even though I normally wouldn't have. Also you had to pay for the lockers, 2 euro for 24 hours.
Even though it is a little way out from the centre of things the tram stop is a 2 minute walk.

I would definitely recommend this hostel to people who wanted a cheap place to stay and wanted to be able to escape central Amsterdam in the evenings.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Red_Dragonfly88
There are newer reviews for Stayokay Hostel Amsterdam Zeeburg

Reviewed 17 August 2010

I stayed here for 3 nights with some friends and had a really great time. The rooms were clean and spacious, the bar had a lovely atmosphere (and cheap drinks!) and the breakfast was good. We felt very safe leaving our things in our room during the day, but we did put passports/money in a locker, which was cheap and easy to access.

Getting to the city centre is easy, we bought a travel card for the weekend so it was just a case of hopping on Tram 14 and getting off a few minutes later.

Theres not much else I can say except that I would definately recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rosanna111
Reviewed 4 July 2010

When I stayed there the hostel had been in business for about 6 months. The front desk clerk was extremely nice and a pleasure to be around. I normally had dinner downstairs in the bar area and the food was amazing without fail. I didn't have a single complaint my whole stay there.

Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2010

This will be a bit special review since it will be based on how they handled a certain situation.

The hostel by itself is pricewise quite decent and you get what you pay for, but I will never stay here again. They handled a situation that was based off a simple misunderstanding so badly that it ended up having severe consequences for my vacation. I was met with hostility and it seemed like nobody at the hostel seemed to care to think about what happened from our point of view, we didn't even get treated as guests at the hostel. I've traveled alot in my life and been in alot of different places, and this is without doubt the worst thing staff at a hostel has done to me.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Steinthegreat
Reviewed 26 February 2010

clean,reasonable price, with breakfast. i like it. only the location might not be great as it is quite far from the main attraction. accesible by bus/tram however. overall, recommend for young couple/students/backpackers.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2010

Rooms clean and lots of space. Brekfast however was poor choice of sliced bread...

Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2009

The place was fulll of adolescents, but there were also families and couples. It's definitely not a party place but those searching for a quite night sleep and trying to avoid the drug friendly hostels will like this one. It's easy to reach the main sights with tram - a 15 minutes ride - or also by bike wich the hostel was renting for about 10 euros a day. The facilities where enough clean and since the toilet, shower and sink can be used simultaneously and there is one set for each room the hostel becomes really confortable.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo