“Better than expected!!!”
Review of Hotel Tamara

Hotel Tamara
Ranked #360 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Me and 2 friends stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and were pleasantly surprised. The owner was lovely and the location of the hotel is excellent. It's close to many restaurants, bars and coffee shops. However we did use a bicycle ride to get to Red Light District as frankly we didn't want to walk and we're all pretty rubbish with directions. There was a cat but didn't cause much trouble. The bunk beds were lovely and comfy however the single bed had caved in so my friend and I shared a bed. Rooms were spacious with lots of plugs, a sink and two mirrors. We didn't use any of the towels provided although they looked clean. The bathroom was surprisingly spotless and there was never any inconvenience with the other guests. I would definitely come back to this hotel for the price we paid, we all enjoyed it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank QueenD09

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I am seriously advising not to stay here. I am a well travelled man and stayed in many places over the world. I can safely say this place is disgraceful and you should not expect this in a first world country. The owner hated us before we turned up and had a serious chip on his shoulder. He did not accept card payments which was a massive inconvenience. The place is dirty, smells of mould and I don't know when the bed sheets or pillow cases were last washed. Some of us were made to sleep on matresses on the floor and a number of your party were seriously attacked by bed bugs and got bitten and all the bites got infected. All the people in my room slept on top of the sheets as not to get bitten. Upon arrival I honestly thought it was a joke but to my horror, this was the place we had booked. I cannot understand how this man can be allowed to run this sort of establishment. You have been warned, stay here at your own risk. The one positive is that the hotel was so bad, it forced us to get up early and go and spend more time in Amsterdam and not return till the early hours.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Daniel B
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We found the location easily. got in and paid, when we entered the room there was an elderly man who turns out to be the owner asleep on one of the beds. fair enough there his beds. the electricty went out, but we did get candles or as the elderly man put it "romantic lighting". we could smoke in the rooms which was a big plus, but every time we left the room we got a good lession about christ the son of God. Also someone not in our group left a dirty pair of womens pants in our room. Weird but of you want a crazy and unpredictable time come here.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stayed here with 2 friends for 3 nights and can honestly say it was the worst hotel I've ever had the misfortune of staying at. Upon arrival the owner started to go on a rant about "English people" which I can't say thrilled me. I could not believe the state of the room, it made me feel sick! The bed blankets had some kind of mold growing on them which I can only say I've seen on bread in the past, the walls were half painted and everywhere smelled terrible. The little black cat was cute but if you're not a cat person it would irritate you being stalked and followed to your room. By day 3, myself and my friend were covered in bites which I can only assume were a result of bed bugs. I didn't expect anything fancy but I at least would expect clean bed sheets, this was a last minute booking as there was a conference on so everywhere was booked but I would rather pay extra in future if just for a clean bed! I urge anybody thinking about staying here to stay anywhere else, only in Amsterdam could somebody earn a living off such an awful establishment as most customers are probably too high to care!

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else if you want to enjoy your holiday!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Vicky_efc
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I have read some of the reviews describing this place as dirty, I found it 'shabby' but clean. Great location and quiet considering where it is. Murphy the cat was a lovely addition to the crazy staff team. Taz, the old guy who generally oversees this hostel was a mine of information and purveyor of copious free cups of tea which I need to keep me going. I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for.. if you want luxury, don't book a cheap hostel!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Adventurwoman
Reviewed 4 December 2012

This hotel was actually better than expected having been to Amsterdam and stayed in the centre quite a few times. Stairs are steep as they are anywhere in Amsterdam. Room was small but when your on holiday it's just somewhere to sleep, which was CLEAN! :) Taz and his Cat made the stay even better with friendly random banter as we passed. Great warm shower too! And if your that way inclined, they allow you to smoke out the window too ;)
Being so close to Damrak it is surprisingly quiet, but in a very central location, just round the corner from Dam Square!

Room Tip: The rooms at the side of the building are quieter as it is on a small lane. And although it is one...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Inexpensive, central 'Hotel' with a slightly run down air.
I guess you get what you pay for, so don't expect too much and you'll find the experience quite acceptable.
Rooms really are on the small side, but they're clean enough and the communal facilities on the landing (each floor) are adequate. Has a sister Irish bar, The Blarneystone, if you really are missing Guinness and large fried breakfasts.
Staff were particularly pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo