“Great, Inexpensive Place to Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Frederic Rent a Bike

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Frederic Rent a Bike
Ranked #54 of 329 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Great, Inexpensive Place to Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

At the recommendation of a local, my friend and I were told to check Frederic Rent a Bike after a hostel we had previously booked was a huge disappointment. My friend decided to pay for a room at Frederic, while I stayed at my original hostel. Even though I was not staying at Frederic, I was treated with such respect and friendliness! I went in and out with my friend during the day, and not once did the employees complain or urge me to go back to my real accommodations.

The room my friend stayed in was cute and cozy, with a creative mural, a comfortable bed, and some dish ware in the room. Access from the front of the house was simple, but after hours you must enter from the side door, which leads up to the owners' apartment, and back down to your own rooms. If you're intent on having a rowdy and loud time in Amsterdam, then, this place is not for you. Please note that the owners do have 2 cats that stay upstairs. They are friendly and they never go to the guests' area, but if you are allergic, take caution.

My friend and I were quite surprised by the free marijuana and spirits supplied, to be used at the guests' leisure. Because the apartments were so quiet and calm, however, this was not a problem.

The location was great as well, in the centre of town but on a quiet road facing a canal. Bikes are also able to be rented, which allows for a convenient, exciting exploration of the city. Overall, I was very pleased with Frederic Rent a Bike, even though I was merely a friend of a guest. If I venture to Amsterdam in the future, I will definitely consider staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Deanna M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Winston-Salem, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

We were in Amsterdam for 6 nights. We wanted a house boat experience, so originally we worked out with Marne to stay 3 nights in a house boat (which wasn't available for our whole trip) and them move to stay in their Haarlemerstraat apartment for the remaining 3 nights. We got to the boat, and there was very loud construction going on outside the house boat (which of course the owner nor Frederic's could do anything about). I asked if the apartment happened to be free for all 6 nights, and it was. Long story short, Marne's mom (Marne was on holiday while we were there) helped us set things up to move and stay the entire time at the Haarlemrstraat apartment.

I also ran into a wifi connectivity problem while I was there (and it was really important for me to be online for my job). It ended up being a password issue (my instructions had lower case letters and in reality it was upper case), but both Frederic's and Nelly (apartment owner) were really concerned about the problem!

Overall I felt like I was a "high maintenance" and bumbling customer during my stay, and even still the Frederic's team (Marne's mom and Nelly the apartment owner, specifically) really, really bent over backwards to try to do everything in their power to help. If I ever return to Amsterdam, Frederic's will have my business again (if they'll have me!).

A few other notes...

The Haarlemerstraat apartment was really, really wonderful. We briefly walked through the Houseboat II, and while it was very functional...I'm really glad we had an excuse to stay in the apartment for our entire stay.

The stairs to the Haarlmerstraat apartment are not for the faint of heart. Since I like to overindulge on vacation (why yes, thank you, I will have cheese with every meal!), I appreciated the mini-workout of the really steep flights of stairs. However, if you're overweight or have a bad knee of something...you might need to stay somewhere else. Remember you'll have to haul your luggage up them, too.

Marne's mom "map drawing" for us while we checked in was really worth half of the fees we paid for the stay, by itself. She carefully showed me where I was, where central station was, where all the key attractions were, and made many restaurant and shopping recommendations (with names and notes drawn directly on the map). She even pointed out near-by and excellent grocery stores so we could eat some meals in. All of her recommendations were excellent and that map ended up being worth as much as a whole stack of travel books.

I admit I didn't really like a lot of Amsterdam. Parts of it felt seedy and like a giant tourist trap. However, the Jordaan area was this wonderful breath of fresh air. The restaurants in that area are good. It's quieter and I felt MUCH safer walking around. I think nearly all of Frederic's rentals are in Jordaan, and for that fact alone I'd recommend staying with them.

Room Tip: If available, try for the Haarlemerstraat apartment.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

I booked a last minute week holiday in a boat house at Frederic Rent a Bike for March 26th 2013. The company asked in advance for my credit card number to make the reservation. The next day, the renter replied to me that the boat house I asked for was unavailable for the week. They suggested another more expensive boat house that was available only for three days. They added that for my reservation to be confirmed, I had to fill their on line form again or go to their office on 78 Brouwersgracht. I answered online that I would take the boat house and come to finalize the reservation at their office. In the mean time, I found another hotel that was available for the 5 days and decided to change my minde. In the end, Frederic Rent a Bike charged me 500 Euros, even if I never slept at their accommodation and never completed my reservation.

I consider that company untrustworthy since they do not follow their own reservation policy. They change there confirmation policy to suit their needs. For a customer, it is really hard to have a clear information from that company to help you make an informed choice. Be aware. Since they have your credit card number, they can do what ever they want. I tried to worked it out with them by email but they would ear none of my arguments. I am really disapointed in the management of Frederic Rent a Bike of Amsterdam.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SebastienChabot
Marne S, Owner at Frederic Rent a Bike, responded to this review, 12 May 2013
As is stated within his review of our property, Mr Chabot made a last minute reservation for one of our houseboats. Upon receiving last minute confirmation of the booking, our management and cleaning staff worked tirelessly to have the boat ready for the arrival of Mr. Chabot. However, Mr Chabot never arrived, and over the next few days, was unreachable by phone. Eventually, we received an email from Mr Chabot stating that he had decided to rent another property in Amsterdam.

Whilst this is an unfortunate situation for Mr. Chabot, our cancellation policy is clearly worded on our website (a client will be charged the full amount of the booking if a cancellation is made within 7 days of their scheduled arrival), and by completing an online reservation form, Mr. Chabot agreed to this policy. It is very important that our clients read and understand our cancellation policies before they make a booking, and, should they have any questions, not hesitate to contact us.

Regards, Marne Sieger

Co-owner Frederic Rent A Bike
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

We stayed on Houseboat IX right by the Anne Frank House and had a wonderful time. The boat was clean and had every mod con we needed, very spacious and in a great location - you could keep an eye on the queue for Anne Frank House from boat! Frederic are friendly and very helpful letting us know the best places to go. We hired bikes from them too which was great and good value. Highly recommend this company and this houseboat!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Valrico, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

I have used Frederic's twice on two separate trips to Amsterdam. I have rented an entire apartment and then also the Chegal room. Both experiences were wonderful. The staff was friendly and helpful and both times I felt more like a local than a tourist as the shop is in a neighborhood about a 5 min walk from Centraal Station. I highly recommend using them for your lodging needs in Amsterdam. Great experience both times. Will definitely be using them again.

Room Tip: Great location, in a quiet neighborhood but close to Centraal Station and all the fun stuff.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

We have come to Frederic’s place for many years with family and friends and we are always very pleased. From houseboats to cozy apartments you will not be disappointed by the choice that is proposed by Frederic around the Brouwersgracht and the Jordaan, our preferred locations in Amsterdam. It’s a family business and the welcome by Marjolijn, Marne, Arthur and Frederic is always warm and inviting, it gives your stay a personal touch with personal advice. And don’t forget to rent a bike, biking through Amsterdam is definitely the best way to discover this great city! Have fun

Joost & kids

Room Tip: Try the houseboats for an original experience or go for the cozy appartments, for instance the Cris...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jomonks M
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

Family and friends who've visited AMS had strong recommendations to stay in a houseboat for the experience (the novelly of staying in one) and once my boyfriend found great reviews from here about Frederic Rentabike he decided to book it for 3 nights! We are glad to say that we had a very positive experience staying in a houseboat (exceeded just the novelty of staying in one) and will likely stay in one again when we visit AMS in the future!

We stayed in Houseboat IX and loved it! I absolutely loved the rustic feel of it. Don't expect this to be a 5-star hotel with modern amenities but this doesn't take away from the quaintness and home-like feel this place had to offer. It was very easy to feel comfortable and even feel like it was really your own space (I think this is very important when you're travelling). It was clean (my boyfriend can confirm, I'm a little bit of a clean freak and it definitely met my standards ;D), had ample storage space (even though my boyfriend was the only one to use it) and in general, was very spacious for two people. The boat had everything from kitchenware to a washer/dryer (though we didn't realize that it worked until I read from reviews here). The only thing to complain about (if that really!) is that there wasn't any internet access; however, I think it made my boyfriend and I talk to each other more about our day during the evening ;D.

We found that the location was absolutely awesome for all the stuff that we wanted to do and see. We walked everywhere and we found that being in this part of the Jordaan area was a great spot to be in to have access to a lot of great sights. Prinsengracht was in more of a residential area (though we were steps away from the Ann Frank house/museum) but had some great little sights to see too (i.e. the Noordermarkt, Westerkerk, etc.). There was something nice about walking back to our area at the end of the day. It was quiet and safe.

Marnie was very informative about the whole city and made great recommendations one being one of the best restaurants we ate at for the 23 days we spent in Europe...Balthazar's Keuken!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple