“Just ok!”

Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre
Ranked #201 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 23 January 2014

City tax was no included had to pay 5.50 per two persons for 2 nights, they asked for 100 Eur deposit which I think is ridiculous. The room was really small plus the almost see through bathroom door was something else plus it was small as well. On TV no English channels, has air conditioning, breakfast costed10 Eur if u pre book it in reception otherwise 12.50.They don't have car park outside the hotel nor discounts for the guests, parking costs 4 eur per hour but from midnight till 9 in the morning is for free.Hotel and rooms were very clean and neat.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre

Reviewed 19 January 2014

we (family of 5) stayed the first week of January. The night before we arrived we read the latest reviews on trip advisor .... we were expecting the worst

the good - location is fantastic. Close to all the main attractions & in a very safe area. Service was excellent - no doubt the staff were aware of the negative reviews - nothing was too much trouble. We actually didn't like the first room we were shown which was tiny & asked for another one & were immediately shown to a bigger & better room.

the bad - one of the rooms we had had a distinct smokey smell. I suspect that it had once been a smoking room

the ugly - the toilet doors are see through! need any more be said

verdict - we would recommend this hotel. Location & staff were great. Good value for the money

all you really need to do is set some sensible rules around the use of toilet & shower!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank shelkar
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The room was the tiniest I've been in & for 2 people with luggage its a tight squeeze. The bathroom is absolutely the tiniest, but worked surprisingly well ( if u are not large). We were there just for 1 night & the location right amidst the tourist attractions made up for the size.
I was less happy with the welcome we got from the staff at the reception though. We arrived just past midnight,tired after a long flight & the hotel door was locked. On knocking, the staff came unto the glass door & pointed to the right. Thinking he was directing us to use another door on the right, we went back down the stairs with our luggage & an elderly couple who were also trying to enter follow us too.( the staff made no effort to stop us) Discovering no other door, we trudged back unto the locked glass door & knocked again. The man comes back & points to the right. This time, we noticed a small sign board on the right that read " Ring the bell". So we rang & only then did we get let in! - A weird system & not funny when u arrive tired & ready to crash. On the way to our room we saw them do it to other guests too. So if u go here, do remember to "Ring the bell"!
I found the room good value for money, I guess u can get a larger room for a higher price. It would have just been so much nicer if our check in was handled better.It was our first night in the Netherlands & didn't experience the strange attitude anywhere else in the Netherlands or the rest of Europe.

Room Tip: Our ground floor room just on the road was a bit noisy in the morning. Not a big problem though unle...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jeandixon12
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Nice facade shame about the interior, this place needs renovations big-time, mouldy bathroom, grotty grout, a faint whiff of something unpleasant, not a good experience and not even a price that you'd expect to pay, actually they should have paid me to stay here

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank tomren73
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stayed at the Hotel during a business visit to Amsterdam. USP is the location next which is next all of the possible attractions and to the must see Rijks museum, the staff was friendly, dependable and sufficient. In all a value for money and location ideal.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much leaving a review on tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam and our hotel. Hopefully we can meet you again in the future.

Kind Regards,
Sjoerd Verkooijen

Reviewed 6 January 2014

As I was about to write my review for this hotel, I began reading some reviews about this place and how some people had bad experiences here. What I am about to say can be used as a general rule for those thinking of staying at this hotel and any other hotel when traveling abroad. I have to say that many times those people who are having issues, they are the ones creating the issues. If you’re travelling to Europe, do your research. Research local transportation (i.e. what time buses pass, holiday hours), restaurants, change houses, etc. near the hotel. We have this idea that a hotel is to accommodate your every need at the snap of the finger. In theory, yes. In Europe, not so much. Granted, if you want to pay $300- $400 a night, then yes, you will probably get every need taken care of. If you’re like me and want to spend as little money as possible on hotel (mainly because I will be spending very little time in my room), then not so much. The first time I went to Amsterdam, I stayed here. After doing my research, I knew my room was going to be small, I expected some noise from elevators, room chatter, traffic noise, etc.; this is all part of traveling. I’m paying roughly $100 a night, no offense to this hotel, but I wasn't expecting the amenities of the Ritz. I will say that for the price and the location, this is a very good deal. And on top of this, to me, the staff was friendly, dependable and sufficient.

Rule of thumb: if there is an issue that you would like to address to the staff at any hotel, don’t yell them your problem and then expect them to fix it because they won’t.

This is my second time staying at this hotel and just like the last time, I had no problems. The service was good; I remember asking for help on occasion and the staff accommodated me without a problem. My party arrived early in the morning and we were still allowed to check in way before normal “check-in” hours and without a fee. This time around, however, I did pay extra for larger room. The “standard” room where I come from is not the same size “standard” in Europe. The extra room price is worth it if you plan on bringing a few pieces of luggage and/or if you are claustrophobic. This place is located in a good spot between several main attractions (10 minute walk to Van Gogh museum, Riks, shopping stores, plazas, restaurant, canal tour is right in front of hotel, the “IAMsterdam”sign). If you want to get closer into the central part of Amsterdam (Ann Frank House, Rembrandt House), the bus stop is one block away. The hotel offers free Wi-Fi and it was dependable.

When I come to Amsterdam again, I definitely see myself staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jerry R

Dear Jerry,

Many thanks for placing your review on tripadvisor. As you understand reviews are very important to us and your`s is very valuable to us. I am pleased to read that we have met your expectations and that you have enjoyed Amsterdam once again. I have shared your feedback with the entire team, thanks a lot and I am looking forward to meet you again in our hotel.

Kind Regards,
Sjoerd Verkooijen

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Right by the Vondelpark, the Rijksmuseum, nice cafes in nearby Albert Cuyp, Leidsplein, the tram to Centraal Station etc.. fantastic for that. It was clean. BUT... a miniature room.. VERY cold (heard lots of other guests complaining about this too), no kettle in room, very expensive drinks (bottled water four times the normal price). However, the worst thing by far was the smell from the tiny bathroom. A bad drain smell emulated from the pipes, which were also noisy. I'm sure this isn't healthy. It really was evident, and pretty foul. Personally, I wouldn't revisit this hotel, until I was confident they'd resolved this. Yuk.

Room Tip: Most of the beds are twins pushed together with a big gap in between.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple