“Expensive but not worth it”

Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre
Ranked #196 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“Expensive but not worth it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Very expensive hotel that doesn't even have room service then nor it has any mini bar, only expensive snacks and drinks from the reception bar.
Room was damp and the air-conditioner modes couldn't be changed, so it worked in heating mode only.
Male part of personnel were extremely slow and apparently careless to serve clients at their best.
The room was otherwise relatively OK, but I cam to shock when I opened the window to find out a fossilized pile of puke underneath the window.
I would recommend this hotel only, if you really couldn't find anything else and for a period shorter than 5 days. The only good side was proximity of Leidseplein and the rest of Amsterdam central ring.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Cool_Damir
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Cool_Damir,

Thank you for posting this review on Tripadvisor.
Your comments are of great importance and will help us in our efforts to continuously improve the standards you may expect.

I’m extremely sorry for both the failing airconditioning and your bad experience with one of my team members. This is not the level of service that we try to offer, so I appreciate your feedback so I know what areas of improvement we have to work on.

The airconditioning should be adjustable to any temperature from cold to warm. I can assure you that the one in your room was checked right away.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you once again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future when we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Yours sincerely,
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Luckily my husband and I only stayed one night. The location of the hotel is good, however the lightrails take you anywhere you want to go around Amsterdam Centre so I'm sure there are plenty of other hotels with better rooms. My only regret in this review is that I don't have a picture of the closet-sized bathroom to show you. Now, I don't need anything fancy for a bathroom, especially for one night, but this one was the worst I have ever experienced. There is barely a tiny corner of the sink to place your toothbrush. I am 5 feet 4 inches tall and when I sat on the toilet my knees hit the door! Shower splashed all over the floor. Don't even think about using their hair dryer as it over-heated. I asked if there were other rooms with better space (I assumed maybe we just got a bad one), but the staff told me they were all like that with very small bathrooms. Well, hey, if you are a bachelor who doesn't care about that and you're only in the city to have a good time, then maybe you can choose this. I definitely would never stay here again. The price wasn't even that fair. Definitely don't bring a family here! I understand that breakfast is 17 Euro per person, but we did not eat at the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Luv_a_beach27

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Arnhem, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Do you feel save knowing there is a nightwatch outside your hotel? Don't be to sure on this one, because the nightwatch is a painting! Not just a painting, but one of the most famous paintings on earth. And it is just around the corner! This hotel is not the best, but very close to the most important musea in Amsterdam: the Rijksmuseum, the Stedelijk museum of modern arts and the van Gogh museum. The hotel is not so expensive so be happy with a good bed in a modern room and a decent breakfast. But, the walls are bit thin.

Room Tip: A room at street side is the best.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

It's 4 weeks since we stayed at the Apollo Museum and this review is long overdue. I chose the hotel because of its location and had modest expectations but thanks to the attention and consideration of the reception staff these were well surpassed. I accept most rooms in this hotel are small - but believe this is reflected in the reasonable tariffs for such a prime location. We were fortunate enough to be upgraded on arrival to a sizeable room with 3 beds on the ground floor thanks to Hans' kind intervention. Hans also gave my colleague valuable and accurate airport travel information over the telephone when called prior to our departure. Luis responded promptly and efficiently in dealing with a problem with the door seal of our drinks cooler. Many hotels in this price category and above will charge exorbitantly for wi-fi access but here it is complimentary. The glass bathroom door was indeed something of a novelty - it seems to have been hung in reverse allowing a clear line of vision from outside in while reflecting from the inside the image of the person within the bathroom. Our bedding was spotless. We were blessed with glorious weather and exploited our choice location to the full! Thanks again to our attentive friendly and hospitable hosts!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Shakir S
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Shakir, S

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I will accept your compliments on behalf of my team members, who I know to be constantly seeking to make every guest feel at home.

In addition we would like to express our gratitude for complementing our staff. It is our passion to deliver the best possible service every day again and guest compliments are the best motivation to strive to improve continuously.

Once more, thank you for taking the time to write about us.

Serendipitymaybe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

I decided to make reservations for two rooms for 6 nights, 4/9-15/14, at the Apollo Hotel because of the reputation of Best Western hotels in the United States. When we arrived from our overnight flight we were greeted with a big smile and told we were important clients because we were staying six nights. Wrong! I was given a room, 112, where the sink bumped up against the front of the toilet. One night of side saddle would have been fine (I have been to 40+ countries in the last 10 years and have never had such an issue), but not for 6 nights. When I told the front desk, they told me they were full and they could move me the following day. The next day, I checked my bags in the AM and, after check-in time, moved into my new room, 038. I later learned my friend in room two had an upgrade and I had a basic room. The following morning I noticed I was itching my leg. It wasn't until that evening that I noticed the ants in my bed!!!! I walked out to the front desk (1am) ants in a tissue and showed them the bites on my legs and told them I was also itching on my back. The female clerk took a picture of my leg and took the ants and made arrangements to have my bedding changed. Because the sheets/coverlet did not fit my bed, they changed the bedding a second time. I gave the front desk my business card so that they knew I was a responsible citizen. I also asked if they would inform the manager about this. Despite sending a written complaint to the hotel and best Western, I have not heard a word from any on. They don't care!!! Don't go or check your bed!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Serendipitymaybe
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We booked thru booking.com on 9/1/14. A party of 3 couples. Our monies were taken promptly and we thought there would be no problems.

On arrival at approx 2100 hrs after our evening flight from Edinburgh, on a busy Easter Holiday. We were hungry and just wanted to check in and go out to eat.

We were told there was a problem and the hotel was overbooked. We were assured that we would be upgraded to their sister hotel 4 star Ramada Apollo.

We complained that the reason for booking the Best Western was its location to the City Centre and that the hotel Ramada accommodation would mean travel in and out of the city each day.

2 very cheeky receptionists were on duty and one advised that we should be lucky we are not on the street tonight. We really weren't in the mood for this treatment and asked for a manager to come and speak to us.

We were then told that there was no manager on duty. The manager had been on day duty and could not be disturbed. The extent of staff on duty was 2 receptionists and 1 barman.

We would not recommend this hotel due to very poor customer service and lack of management to speak about dissatisfaction.

Totally unprofessional on every level.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dawn W
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear,

First we would like to thank you for taking the time to write me in person after your recent stay in Amsterdam. We value every comment we receive, and will use it as a way to improve our service and product.

I would like to apologize we could not honor your reservation at the time of your check-in. I can assure you that it is not our policy to accept more reservations than rooms we have.

I can assure you that I have spoken severely about this with the team and understand that more coaching and training on the job is needed to provide a lack of professional service. Thank you for drawing your concerns to our attention as such feedback enables us to improve the quality of our facilities and service we provide.

I am glad we were able to work something out with direct contact.

Assuring you our best intentions at all times, we remain,

Yours sincerely,