“Appalling and uncaring rip off.”

Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre
Ranked #200 of 365 Hotels in Amsterdam
London
“Appalling and uncaring rip off.”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Along with the couple we are travelling with, we were booked on a 3 night deal at €300, but the hotel booked us for only 2 nights and charged us €600 with the breakfast buffet which was average to say the least.
Our friends on the correct deal have a very nice room, but to add insult to injury our room is on the 4th floor with no windows to speak of. It's a dreadful plain room, with a tiny stinky cabinet bathroom and no fridge.
When I went to reception to try and sort this out, the staff were indifferent, unhelpful, and were sorry we felt this way, but would not budge on the scandalous price nor offer a nicer room.

I travel a great deal and have never paid this much per night for such a bad experience. Not ever.
Please please don't stay here. The locations nice but guess what, a short walk to anywhere else is well worth it. Any 3 star is better than this!

Room Tip: If you must stay here avoid the mansard 4th floor. More a windowless prison than a room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank dijanicki
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your recent stay at the Best Western Apollo Museumhotel.

I am terribly sorry to hear that your stay with us was not what you expected. I can assure you that we take your comments very serioursly.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in person, so I can hear from you what happend with your reservation and the room. With congresses in town and some high demand weekends our prices vary daily.

We do hope you will give us a new chance during your next visit to Amsterdam so we can prove this was an incident, and I would appreciate hearing your remarks in person!

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked into the hotel for 2 nights. We found the staff to be friendly.
The room was very small and literally had to squeeze our luggage in. This however did not bother us as we did not spend too much time there.
Good point- the room and bathroom was clean.
Breakfast selection was fair.
The location was very good - literally a stone throw away from Rijks Musuem and also close to transport.
I would definitely recommend to travelers as this hotel is convenient and clean.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LindaSouthAfrica
Dear,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with the world on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind words about us and we will use your feedback to improve our product and services.

The hotel is indeed in the heart of the centre, right next to the Van Gogh museum and the Rijksmuseum with Rembrandts famous paintings. Just around the corner is Leidse Plein, a nice square full of restaurants, shops, clubs and bars.

Once more, we appreciate your kind words and would like to thank you for complementing on our staff. I will definitely share your kind words with them.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in July 2013, location of this hotel is excellent. Bus 197 from the airport stops at “Hobbemastraat” which is a 2 minute walk from the hotel. I contacted hotel prior to the stay, and they were helpful with directions. The room we got was really tiny, but overall a good stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Glenside, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Upon our arrival in Amsterdam, we had to wait until about 3:00 PM until our room was ready. Throughout our stay, the employees were absolutely fantastic - helpful, energetic, kind and caring. What we found in the bathroom was close to a nightmare. It was beautiful but totally non- functional. First, the sink: it was one of those bowl shaped ones that sits up high. The faucet was exceptionally long. While trying to wash my face, I had to turn it sideways in order to avoid plunking myself in the forehead, so the water went everywhere. Second, the towel bar: I read that the Dutch are one of the tallest people in the world. Well, the towel bar was so high (I'm 5'2"), I had to stand on my tip-toes in order to reach it. If my hands were wet, the water ran all the way down my arms. Plus there was no where to hang used towels. Plus, being a bit picky, there were no small travel amenities, like soap. the bathrooms need to be re-designed in order to make them user friendly.

Room Tip: If you are there on King or Queen's Day, make sure your room is not on the street side.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eisen305
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear eisen305,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your recent stay at the Best Western Apollo Museum Hotel.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed our service provided by the employees, one of our main focus points in our hotel. Your remarks are very much appreciated. I will share your feedback with the entire team.

Our apologies that you experienced our bathroom as not functional. Our hotel in the heart of the centre with an A1 location. With limited space we need to be creative to creative with the rooms we have.

For your next stay if you would like some more space, please reserve a deluxe room for a small extra charge of just 15€.

In case you have any questions or remarks, please do feel free to contact me directly. I truly hope that we will be able to provide our product and service again to you in the near future. Your loyalty and satisfaction is our main priority.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Unfortunately we were very disappointed with this hotel.

We arrived at 11pm after a long trip to Amsterdam, and found out that the hotel had overbooked their rooms so we had to go and stay in another hotel for the first night of our one-week stay. There was no apology.

There was always a long wait at reception. Most of the time the service from staff was rude and dismissive, and very slow.

Basic wireless internet is free, but it cuts out every few minutes if you want to use it to make a call via Skype, Facetime, Viber etc.

Breakfast food and drinks were limited. Cutlery often runs out.

Overall, we won't be coming back here and I would recommend trying somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Agata_London_UK
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Agata,

First we would like to thank you for taking the time to write me in person after your recent stay in Amsterdam. We value every comment we receive, and will use it as a way to improve our service and product.

I would like to apologize we could not honor your reservation at the time of your check-in. I can assure you that it is not our policy to accept more reservations than rooms we have.

I can assure you that I have spoken severely about this with the team and understand that more coaching and training on the job is needed to provide a lack of professional service. Thank you for drawing your concerns to our attention as such feedback enables us to improve the quality of our facilities and service we provide.

I would like to ask you if you can contact us directly, so we can talk about this.

Assuring you our best intentions at all times, we remain,

Front Office Manager

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Very expensive hotel that doesn't even have room service then nor it has any mini bar, only expensive snacks and drinks from the reception bar.
Room was damp and the air-conditioner modes couldn't be changed, so it worked in heating mode only.
Male part of personnel were extremely slow and apparently careless to serve clients at their best.
The room was otherwise relatively OK, but I cam to shock when I opened the window to find out a fossilized pile of puke underneath the window.
I would recommend this hotel only, if you really couldn't find anything else and for a period shorter than 5 days. The only good side was proximity of Leidseplein and the rest of Amsterdam central ring.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Cool_Damir
Dear Cool_Damir,

Thank you for posting this review on Tripadvisor.
Your comments are of great importance and will help us in our efforts to continuously improve the standards you may expect.

I’m extremely sorry for both the failing airconditioning and your bad experience with one of my team members. This is not the level of service that we try to offer, so I appreciate your feedback so I know what areas of improvement we have to work on.

The airconditioning should be adjustable to any temperature from cold to warm. I can assure you that the one in your room was checked right away.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you once again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future when we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Luckily my husband and I only stayed one night. The location of the hotel is good, however the lightrails take you anywhere you want to go around Amsterdam Centre so I'm sure there are plenty of other hotels with better rooms. My only regret in this review is that I don't have a picture of the closet-sized bathroom to show you. Now, I don't need anything fancy for a bathroom, especially for one night, but this one was the worst I have ever experienced. There is barely a tiny corner of the sink to place your toothbrush. I am 5 feet 4 inches tall and when I sat on the toilet my knees hit the door! Shower splashed all over the floor. Don't even think about using their hair dryer as it over-heated. I asked if there were other rooms with better space (I assumed maybe we just got a bad one), but the staff told me they were all like that with very small bathrooms. Well, hey, if you are a bachelor who doesn't care about that and you're only in the city to have a good time, then maybe you can choose this. I definitely would never stay here again. The price wasn't even that fair. Definitely don't bring a family here! I understand that breakfast is 17 Euro per person, but we did not eat at the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends