“Poor value for money”

Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre
Ranked #203 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed at the Apollo for a business trip. While the room rate was business like (€210) the room was just awful. It was so small you couldn't go round to the window when you used the suit case rack. The shower was tripping rather than spraying and it took quite a while to get wet.
I complained about this at the reception but nothing was done about it.
Location is good but they grossly overcharge for tiny rooms.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BHXTraveller55
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for posting this review on Tripadvisor and your constructive feedback following your stay with us at the Best Western Apollo Museumhotel.

I am sorry to hear that the room was not what you expected it to be. Thank you for pointing out that our hotel is in a great location- however it is a challenge to have only spacious rooms right in the hart of the city centre. That is why we offer several room categories so our guests are able to make a decision on what category they would like to have.

The price during your stay was indeed higher than normal. Because of a large congress in the RAI convention centre the city of Amsterdam was fully booked.

I apologize that the reception staff at that time was not able to help you change the room at time. I would like to emphasize that we always do our utmost to meet up to our guests requests.

Thank you once more very much for all the feedback- it is only with the feedback of our guests that makes that we can improve our hotel- and services continuously.

In case you have any questions or remarks, please do feel free to contact me directly. I truly hope that we will be able to provide our product and service again to you in the future so we get a chance to restore your faith in us.

Stan Staver
Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,971)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were booked into a standard double room, and as other travellers have stated, it's the smallest double room I have ever seen! It really is only suitable for one person with a small suitcase. We asked to upgrade as we didn't think we could bear to negotiate around each other to get dressed, not to mention the proximity of the bathroom.. there is no tea or coffee making facility in this room. We moved to what I think is a deluxe double, which was bigger and had a kettle, although after the first day we had to ask them to replenish the teabags and paper cups. There was no soap or shampoo in the shower so we had to ask for that too. Also mentioned in other reviews was the strange bathroom door - opaque glass, but arranged so that the person inside the bathroom can't see out, but the other person can see you on the toilet! The breakfast buffet was ok, but we had a far nicer breakfast at a cafe across the road. I wouldn't stay there again.(It was in a great location though, but so are other hotels).

Room Tip: Don't ask for a standard double unless you are a single traveller.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tricia W
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for posting this review on Tripadvisor.
Your comments are of great importance and will help us in our efforts to continuously improve the standards you may expect.

It is true that not all the rooms are provided with a coffee or Thea maker, but when mentioned to the reception we are happy to provide you with one when available. The points you make regarding the replenishment of your room is in contrast with the level of service you may expect from us. Thank you for letting us know.

Stan Straver (Front Office Manager)

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Location right next to main museums and Vondelpark is fine (and 5 minute walk to the cave). Hotel itself however was not recommendable. Room was so small, you had to crawl over the bed to get to the window, low pressure in shower, no minibar, no room service, prearranged taxis were late, and on occasion unable to accept credit cards. Clients also appear to give this hotel some problems - I both saw staff having to calm an extremely angry person yelling at them in the lobby and was later kept awake for about 30 minutes around 04 by three people passionately trying to force their way in to the neighboring room by kicking in the door (going by their faces, probably representatives from the very hungover German delegation I met checking out in the lobby the next morning).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank UlrikChristensen
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear,

Thank you for drawing your concerns to our attention as such feedback enables us to improve the quality of our facilities and service we provide.

I do apologize about the low pressure in the shower and the minibar. Not all of our rooms in the hotel have a minibar, the deluxe rooms for a small surcharge of 15€ does. We would like to maintain a high level of service and- (when mentioned to the reception staff) we do our best to either change rooms/ or solve the issues the best we can. Please notice that we are a 3 star hotel and we do not provide room service unfortunately. We do service drinks and snacks in our bar which is open until 1 am.

We do hope you will give us a new chance during your next visit to Amsterdam so we can prove this was an incident, and I would appreciate hearing your remarks in person!

Thank you once more for taking the time to give us feedback.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel best western Apollo
Is 3 star hotel in amsterdam near lidseplaien .
I stay in hotel for one night and hotel
Room was very nice and clean.
Unfortunately
For the next night the hotel did not any room and I have to stay another hotel
Hotel best western Apollo I think is 4 star
Very friendly receptions
And good breakfast.
In future I stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear,

I really enjoyed reading your feedback about your stay. Thank you for all your kind words and positive feedback. I will make sure that the entire team will be informed about this.

It was great to read that you found our hotel to be perfect for your needs. That is actually more than we could hope for. Thank you very much for writing the review. We really appreciate it.

We hope to welcome you back in the (near) future.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Along with the couple we are travelling with, we were booked on a 3 night deal at €300, but the hotel booked us for only 2 nights and charged us €600 with the breakfast buffet which was average to say the least.
Our friends on the correct deal have a very nice room, but to add insult to injury our room is on the 4th floor with no windows to speak of. It's a dreadful plain room, with a tiny stinky cabinet bathroom and no fridge.
When I went to reception to try and sort this out, the staff were indifferent, unhelpful, and were sorry we felt this way, but would not budge on the scandalous price nor offer a nicer room.

I travel a great deal and have never paid this much per night for such a bad experience. Not ever.
Please please don't stay here. The locations nice but guess what, a short walk to anywhere else is well worth it. Any 3 star is better than this!

Room Tip: If you must stay here avoid the mansard 4th floor. More a windowless prison than a room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank dijanicki

Dear,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your recent stay at the Best Western Apollo Museumhotel.

I am terribly sorry to hear that your stay with us was not what you expected. I can assure you that we take your comments very serioursly.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in person, so I can hear from you what happend with your reservation and the room. With congresses in town and some high demand weekends our prices vary daily.

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked into the hotel for 2 nights. We found the staff to be friendly.
The room was very small and literally had to squeeze our luggage in. This however did not bother us as we did not spend too much time there.
Good point- the room and bathroom was clean.
Breakfast selection was fair.
The location was very good - literally a stone throw away from Rijks Musuem and also close to transport.
I would definitely recommend to travelers as this hotel is convenient and clean.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LindaSouthAfrica

Dear,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with the world on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind words about us and we will use your feedback to improve our product and services.

The hotel is indeed in the heart of the centre, right next to the Van Gogh museum and the Rijksmuseum with Rembrandts famous paintings. Just around the corner is Leidse Plein, a nice square full of restaurants, shops, clubs and bars.

Once more, we appreciate your kind words and would like to thank you for complementing on our staff. I will definitely share your kind words with them.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in July 2013, location of this hotel is excellent. Bus 197 from the airport stops at “Hobbemastraat” which is a 2 minute walk from the hotel. I contacted hotel prior to the stay, and they were helpful with directions. The room we got was really tiny, but overall a good stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends