“Much better than I expected”

Museum of Bags and Purses
Book In Advance
Buy Tickets Online
More Info
US$14.97*
and up
Museum of Bags and Purses in Amsterdam Admission...
More Info
US$47.91*
and up
Holland Pass: Best Deals in Amsterdam and Beyond
Ranked #35 of 529 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: With a collection of more than 4000 bags, purses, trunks, pouches, cases and accessories dating from the late Middle Ages until today, the Museum of Bags and Purses in Amsterdam is the largest of its kind in the world.
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a stylish and attractive museum with a beautiful and well explained collection. There was so much more to the story of bags and purses than I would have anticipated, and the curators and designers are to be congratulated on making it really enjoyable and unusual. There is a rather posh cafe which, as I had just had lunch, I didn't patronise, but it looks very nice. A temporary exhibition of Parisian advertising paper fans was something attractive and out of the ordinary, again, exceptionally well set out and much better than it sounds. Super shop, obviously selling bags, purses and related souvenirs. Very pleasant staff. Altogether, a pleasure to visit.

1  Thank Millie024

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I tell all my girlfriends about this Museum it is so good AND the building it is in is amazing too. Great place for morning coffee and in the summer it has a really cool garden to sit in.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I loved this museum, it's a beautiful venue a wonderfully restored canal house with lovely garden and fabulous cafe with a superb collection dating back to the 16th century with some modern gems. Really one of my highlights this weekend and would recommend to anyone interested in history and fashion.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We weren't sure whether to visit as we feared it may be one of these museums that you are in and out in 5 minutes, but after reading the reviews decided to give it a go. It is easy to find and not far from the nearest tram station. The staff are all very friendly and chatted to us for a while about where we were from and on the way out what we thought of the museum. It was a lot bigger than I expected it to be and there weren't many other people in there as we went on a Monday morning, so there was plenty of time to look and the exhibits and read all the information without being rushed.

There is just the right amount of information about each exhibit and everything is layed out in chronological order so it is easy to see the progression. We also went to the cafe for a coffee and cake and the girl who served us in there was also very friendly and the food was lovely and arrived quickly.

We were probably in there about an hour and a half in total so it is perfect if you are limited on time. I would recommend a visit.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Just near Rembrandtplein and you get free entry as part of the Iamsterdam card, this is such a quirky and girly-fun thing to do. We spent just under 90mins wandering around marvelling at the creativity and ingenuity of 'handbags' over the decades. Leave your boyfriend/husband to drink Heineken and spend a little she-time here.