“Excellence new defined”

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: De Pijp
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This restaurant is a perfect example how Japanese manage to bring excellence to a new level, to re-define the word taste. We did not expect such authentic cuisine outside Japan. The food is outstanding, staff extremely kind and friendly. It is auch a beautiful hide away and feels like a little trip to Japan. We will definitely visit again soon. Compliments to this place!!

HotelOkuraAmsterdam, Manager at Yamazato Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear HanaWil,

Thank you for the kind words shared about your 'trip to Japan' in Yamazato Restaurant.
It is great to read we have met your expectations.

There is a fun fact we like to share about Japanese hospitality, that is referred to as Omotenashi.
In Japan this is truly a way of thinking, the aim is to strive for excellent service for each guest on a daily base.
In Japan, Omotenashi is shown daily by bowing or even apologizing to each individual when a train is running later.

We are already looking forward to welcome you back!

The Okura Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

A very authentic japanese experience, I tried the Kaiseki menu and was very impressed. Fish was amazing and fresh.

Enjoy the nuances of the service and customs.

Dear Carlos,

Thank you for visiting Yamazato Restaurant and for sharing your experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed the Kaiseki menu. We work with the best available products only and I am happy to read that your experience with the fish was amazing.

We hope to welcome you back to Yamazato Restaurant in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The restaurant was fully booked but I was lucky enough to be seated at the sushi counter.
All of a sudden I was in Japan once again! Watching the sushi-masters live at work and the incredible variety of sushi a-la-carte made the night just unforgettable!

1  Thank Clarissa6891
HotelOkuraAmsterdam, Manager at Yamazato Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Chiara,

Thank you so much for your review, we were more than happy to welcome you! I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your dinner at Yamazato Restaurant. It is amazing to see the sushi-masters live at work. Lucky you! It would be great to welcome you back again in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I had dinner here with my family. Average food and service. Definitely below expectations. Edamame was served too hot and wet. Really long wait for food.
From a Michelin started restaurant I was expecting much more.

Dear David M,

Thank you for recently dining in Yamazato Restaurant and for taking the time and efforts to review us via TripAdvisor.
I am sorry to learn that your dinner with family was below your expectations.
Your feedback with regards to the Edamame and waiting time are taken very seriously and I will make sure to share this internally.
In case you would give us a second chance when returning to Yamazato Restaurant, I would like to ask you to contact me personally via kroonsberg@okura.nl to assure the best of care and attention.

Puck Kroonsberg
Duty Manager

Reviewed 17 May 2018

For my 20th Birthday, my family and I went to the Yamazato restaurant in the Okura to celebrate. And wow! Everything about the day was phenomenal!
The food was fantastic! We had a mix of sushi's as a starter and even as someone who usually does not like to eat fish I loved every bite I took! The eel sushi was particularly amazing, it was almost sweet. I shared the Sukiyaki with my mother and the quality was fantastic! A5 grade wagyu beef was served along side high-quality vegetables and a bowl of whisked eggs to dip it into. When dessert arrived I ordered a simple bowl of ice-cream (matcha and chocolate flavoured) but was pleasantly surprised when I was greeted with a plate of fruit, ice cream and small macaron with a candle! The words Happy Birthday had been written with molten chocolate on the sides of the plate as well!

The service was also fantastic. Our waiter was a kind, professional and cheerful and chatted with us while serving the food and sake. He was also very happy when we said 'arigato' instead of thank you! All in all, the service was very friendly, which is just as important as the incredible professionalism they displayed while serving us.

If it were possible to give this restaurant a higher rating I would! Thank you for a wonderful birthday!

Dear Abigailverstraeten,

Thank you for recently dining in Yamazato Restaurant and for leaving such an extensive review on TripAdvisor.
First of all happy belated 20th birthday! We are honored to read you had such a wonderful time with your family for such a special occasion.
I will make sure to share your compliments with Yamazato Team, which will be truly motivating to them.
In Japan Omotenashi stands for Japanese hospitality which Yamazato Team strives for day by day.
We hope to have the chance of welcoming you back near future!

Arigatou gozaimasu ありがとうございます