“Perfect Ambience, Scrumptious food”
Review of Centra - CLOSED

Centra
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Reviewed 12 April 2013

A local at the bar in our hotel recommended this place and after a little trouble finding it, we were really pleased with the warm, cozy ambience, smiling, friendly staff & wow! the food--classic Spanish. Get the seafood bowl or paella & the sangria--best sangria I've ever had, authentic & not too sweet.

1  Thank Zakee M

Reviewed 10 February 2013

The atmosphere is typical Spanish: a simple restaurant with typical Spanish waiters. But the food is nice, also simple. But simple does not mean bad: you still need to know how ta make a good paella: and that is what Centra can make.
My friend choose paella, I had a stew af meat and vegatables: you can say that the sause is a bit fat, but that is also typical Spanish and gives you part of the flavour.

As starter we had some simple tapas. The alioli was a bit strong: but is you use some bread and take some of the very good olive oil, a bit alioli and peper, is is very nice.

The restaurant still is there after many decades and the food is still the same: Centra has a lot of regular customers who come back.

1  Thank GOlumbus
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Visited this restaurant on the recommendation of my dinner partner as this place was meant to have the best paella in town. It was a Saturday night and it was totally full meaning that we ended up being placed in the middle of a long table next to random diners you haven't met as most of the smaller tables were full. This does have a very Spanish feel. This is ok in principle, and you can make small talk with those sitting next to you if you get open people, but if I am having to leave my seat 3 or 4 times during my meal because there are so many tables packed in it gets a bit old. If you are going there for a quiet romantic diner then forget it as the ambiance is not for that purpose at all. This can probably be averted by making a reservation for a smaller table at the side. The food itself was rather good. We shared a fish and sea-food paella and had one drink each for 50 euro between us. The size and quality was more than ample and it was the best paella I have had outside of Spain (although I rarely visit Spanish restaurants). This place has been open for decades as we heard off the diners who were sitting next to us and seemed to have many regulars (most diners were Dutch I would say). The one word I would use to define my experience would be Claustrophobic.

1  Thank Jason W
Reviewed 19 January 2013 via mobile

Old establishment, with perfect food and good service. I had the feeling that I was in Spain instead of Amsterdam. Next time I visit Amsterdam this is the place to eat.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We were in Amsterdam and stumbled upon the place by accident when the rain started to come on. I'm glad we did. The food and service was all excellent . My Paella was wonderful and portions were generous

Certainly its true that the location is right in the middle of the tourist/red-light area but we really enjoyed it.