“I warmly suggest you to avoid this place”
Review of Coffee & Jazz - CLOSED

Coffee & Jazz
Cuisines: Indonesian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I visited Amsterdam in September with my boyfriend and I read about Coffee and Jazz on the Lonely Planet guide which lists this restaurant as $ (i.e. cheap place to eat). How wrong it was!
It is literally a Tourist Trap as someone who reviewed it below has described it.
When we sat we were not provided with a menu. There was an Indonesian lady who verbally described the menu. There were only two starters and two main courses (or maybe three, I don t remember exactly). So we ordered a bottle of water and 2 glass of wines, two starters and two main courses. THE BILL WAS 90 EURO. The bottle of water alone was 6 euro (not even in London where I live and is one of the most expensive cities in the world I ever paid the equivalent of 6 euro for a bottle of water). Between no receipt but only a piece of paper on which the lady noted the orders.
The place itself is nice and the owner (I think he was the owner at least) an eccentric guy. There was an old piano but no live music. Food was good but if those are the prices, the least they can do is provide customers with a menu or VERBALLY clarify the prices. I want to specify that the only reason why we didn't ask prices when ordering was that Lonely Planet listed it as a cheap place to eat and that, NORMALLY, if a restaurant doesn't provide menus it indicates that it has average prices. By the way I learnt my lesson ... ALWAYS ask for prices first.

2  Thank JuliaPeace

Reviewed 28 December 2013

You are given to believe there is no menu or a wine list and the restaurant and owner give the impression that it is not expensive and you are persuaded by the owner to order his recommendations and probably more individual dishes than you actually need. We were astounded by the final cost for four persons and certainly did not think it was worth it.

1  Thank David S
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This was a memorable meal in Amsterdam - watching the owner weave his way with the food was nail biting stuff - a bit like watching Keith Moon perform when he'd had a few too many. The food was fabulous and we had a really good time, having arrived really late and being made to feel welcome. (Not always the case in Amsterdam.) You eat what they serve, but from our experience, you can trust them to serve some great food. As previous reviews have said, you have to go with the flow and be willing to be carried along. Definitely not a rip off - worth every penny.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I can see why this place polarises opinion. It's pretty quirky - definitely a reflection of the owner. If you go you have to be prepared to relax and go with the flow. They don't serve beer (except someone - no doubt a regular - was seen being served one), the choice of wine is red or white (and that's it - but having said that the red was very good) and the choice of food was yes or no. You won't see a price list and you certainly won't see a menu. The deal is that you sit down, relax, enjoy yourselves, smile at the eccentricity, eat what you're offered and drink what you've ordered. But don't be too easily put off because the food is terrific; Indonesian cooked by the lovely lady of the house who is herself Indonesian. So when she offers you satay say yes because this is something totally different from anything gloppy and peanutty you may have had before - absolutely delicious. We were then offered a spicy prawn dish which was great too. To be honest I'm not sure now what would have happened if we'd said no to that. Would we have been offered something else or was that it, take it or leave it? No idea. And then the bill appears and it was a bit higher than I'd have expected to be honest, but not outrageously so. Anyway it was certainly an experience. We enjoyed ourselves, as did the lovely people at the next table who we got chatting to, but you do need a sense of humour.
I'm not surprised at the negative reviews though. If you weren't expecting this (we had been warned) you might be a bit outraged. I'm a little surprised, though, that an Amsterdam-based reviewer called it a tourist trap. I absolutely wouldn't call it that. The clientele were mostly Dutch, lots of people evidently knew the owner so were locals or returning clients, and the place was recommended by the guys at the b&b round the corner, who know a thing or two about local restaurants. So, all in all, excellent Indonesian food, not cheap and definitely eccentric.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

The place was a recommendation in our city guide. It is nicely decorated and the food was good. The sate was excellent, the best I ate. The owner is an "original" and can scare you little bit, I disliked his unfriendly behaviour towards his colleague, however he was very kind to us.
There is no printed menu, so you don't know how much you pay until you get the bill, this creates a little stress.
The choice of music (jazz, of course) was excellent, but it was a little bit too loud for a relaxed conversation. I wouldn't go there again.

1  Thank Wooltravel