“Great Indonesian food”
Review of Coffee & Jazz - CLOSED

Coffee & Jazz
Cuisines: Indonesian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Being a lover of Asian food, especially Indonesian food, after spending many wonderful holidays in Indonesia enjoying the real thing, decided last night to try Coffee and Jazz. Very cosy and intimate restaurant with great jazz music playing in the background. Was a great choice as the food was just like the real thing that I had so enjoyed in Indonesia. The sate was the best I have ever eaten and the sauce was just out of this world. The main was made up of different dishes and was absolutely delicious. The wine I ordered complimented the spicy dishes and was superb. The place was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. All in all a great experience.

1  Thank Wayne L

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We've just returned from a really disappointing evening here. The proprietor was bossy and self-interested, and did not put us as our ease. We were happy to be guided by him, but the dishes he brought us had been prepared without care or imagination and were horribly over-priced.

The only starter for non-meat eaters was a plate of satay sauce, whilst the prawns in the main course were overlooked and rubbery, the rice was sad, plain easy-cook and we had vegetables that came slathered in a sauce which was suspiciously like peanut butter.

In terms of jazz, we heard the same few standards on a loop.

We fell into the trap of drinking the mineral water on the table, mainly because the owner was so rude that we didn't want to ask for tap water. This, combined with the over priced food (for two) and one glass of wine, came to over €90.

They've clearly had a few good reviews and promise an unusual, cool, tasty and good value evening out - don't be fooled as Coffee And Jazz is an all-round disappointment.

2  Thank Sparkety
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I visited Amsterdam in September with my boyfriend and I read about Coffee and Jazz on the Lonely Planet guide which lists this restaurant as $ (i.e. cheap place to eat). How wrong it was!
It is literally a Tourist Trap as someone who reviewed it below has described it.
When we sat we were not provided with a menu. There was an Indonesian lady who verbally described the menu. There were only two starters and two main courses (or maybe three, I don t remember exactly). So we ordered a bottle of water and 2 glass of wines, two starters and two main courses. THE BILL WAS 90 EURO. The bottle of water alone was 6 euro (not even in London where I live and is one of the most expensive cities in the world I ever paid the equivalent of 6 euro for a bottle of water). Between no receipt but only a piece of paper on which the lady noted the orders.
The place itself is nice and the owner (I think he was the owner at least) an eccentric guy. There was an old piano but no live music. Food was good but if those are the prices, the least they can do is provide customers with a menu or VERBALLY clarify the prices. I want to specify that the only reason why we didn't ask prices when ordering was that Lonely Planet listed it as a cheap place to eat and that, NORMALLY, if a restaurant doesn't provide menus it indicates that it has average prices. By the way I learnt my lesson ... ALWAYS ask for prices first.

2  Thank JuliaPeace
Reviewed 28 December 2013

You are given to believe there is no menu or a wine list and the restaurant and owner give the impression that it is not expensive and you are persuaded by the owner to order his recommendations and probably more individual dishes than you actually need. We were astounded by the final cost for four persons and certainly did not think it was worth it.

1  Thank David S
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This was a memorable meal in Amsterdam - watching the owner weave his way with the food was nail biting stuff - a bit like watching Keith Moon perform when he'd had a few too many. The food was fabulous and we had a really good time, having arrived really late and being made to feel welcome. (Not always the case in Amsterdam.) You eat what they serve, but from our experience, you can trust them to serve some great food. As previous reviews have said, you have to go with the flow and be willing to be carried along. Definitely not a rip off - worth every penny.