“Reliably tasty, very lively place”

Kantjil & de Tijger
Ranked #295 of 3,808 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$12 - US$39
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Centrum
Description: Kantjil and de Tijger strives to give its guests that same senang-feeling. The feeling of being at ease, so that we can feel the same. Take a seat and discover the taste of the rich Indonesian flavours. Our dishes are prepared and presented with care, and are freshly made on a daily basis. Order lunch, dinner or visit Kantjil To Go. There’s a little bit of something for everyone, to get those tastebuds flowing. Our impassioned and welcoming personnel will happily help you choose dishes and drinks to your liking.
maine
“Reliably tasty, very lively place”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

On the busiest restaurant thoroughfare in Amsterdam, this one stands out as one of the few restaurants offering really good Indonesian food. It was recommended to me by a Dutch colleague who's half-Indonesian, and she said her relatives consider the offerings authentic. I've eaten Indonesian food before, in several cities, so I have some standards for comparison. This place was very good indeed.

I dined there three times over two weeks. (yes, that's how much I liked it.) The first time I ordered a la carte, choosing gado gado and a spicy beef curry dish -- both outstanding. On my second visit, I didn't care for the full rijsttafel meal I ordered, because it included a few dud dishes (the soggy, lackluster green beans being one of them.) On my third visit, I went a la carte again and tried the spicy chicken -- loved it best of all.

The service was so-so, due to the fact it was jam-packed all three times. Clearly this is a happening place. Next time I'm in Amsterdam, this will definitely be one of my stops.

1 Thank docwatson_236

• Turkish first
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Delicious food”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Absolutely delicious food, thoroughly enjoyed my meal here. I would definitely recommend eating here.

Miami, Florida
“Awesome first time Rijsttafel experience”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

As two Americans having never eaten Indonesian, we were definitely excited about trying Rijsttafel. Kantjil & de Tijger did not disappoint. There were 3 options to chose from ranging from 25 to 32 euro per person. We went for the 32 euro option and absolutely loved it. There were about 18 different dishes laid out including chicken, beef, prawns, mackerel, many vegetables, and an array of sauces on each. Absolutely delicious. I can't speak to how it compares to other options, but this was exactly what we were looking for in a first time Rijstaffel experience.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Mark A
Santa Cruz, California
“Good Indonesian food”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We went here for a late lunch (around 3PM) with a large group of around 15 people. We ordered rijsttafel, and had a delicious selection of Indonesian dishes. Not as much variety as others that I've seen - only two meat dishes (satay and spicy beef), but quite a few veggie dishes.

Service was quick, though we did have to remind them not to put shrimp crackers on the vegetarian food. To their credit, they quickly (and happily) replaced the offending dishes. Plenty of food for everyone, and very tasty. Value seemed reasonable, but not outstanding.

1 Thank santacruzer_95060
england
“Impressed”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Wanted to try Indonesian food whilst in Amsterdam and chose this place on recommendation.Lovely food, good service, would definitely return.

• Visited May 2014