“Rakang Thai Is A Small Restaurant That Packs A Big Punch!!”
Review of Rakang

Rakang
Reserve with
Rakang is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #168 of 4,508 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$19 - US$28
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Jordaan
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I like personal recommendations, this restaurant came highly recommended by the staff at my hotel and it turned out to be one of the best Thai restaurants that I've ever been to! The restaurant is small so the tables are CLOSELY approximated to accommodate as many diners as possible. The restaurant is dimly lit, has a busy yet homey feel to it and the tables are decorated with various shirts and ties under a glass top, which is eclectic and funny.
The complimentary appetizer is shrimp chips with a peanut sauce which is light enough to curb the appetite, but not filling so there is more than enough room for your entree. The first night I had the Goong Kra-Tiem Wai Kao, a prawn dish which was absolutely amazing and then the second night, yes the second night, I had the Tom Yum Koong soup which was fantastic and the Koong Tod Som, another prawn laden dish. The portions are plentiful and can be shared. Since I ate every morsel of my entrees, I left no room for dessert. You can just show up during dinner time, plenty of people did, however do not expect to be seated immediately. My hotel recommended that I have reservations and I did both nights.If you enjoy great Thai food, this is THE place to eat Thai food when in Amsterdam.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Really lovely fresh food and being vegetarian was not a problem. Excellent service and very friendly staff. Loved it.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Read some good reviews about this restaurant so decided to book here.
When we arrived at the resultant ever table was taken so glad we had made a reservation. Quirky lights and pictures inside and every plate is different a really unique dining space. Mainly Dutch dining in there too so you know it must be good to be packed with the locals.
We had chicken satay and beef salad to start both delicious especially the beef. For main we ordered beef Penang/sticky rice and pad Thai as well as mixed vegetables. The beef Penang was really good the pad Thai ok and mixed veg good too.
The service was great and we really enjoyed the ambience of the place. Some people on here said its noisy but it's not overly noisy considering every table booked out. Definitely eat here if you fancy Thai food while in Amsterdam you won't be disappointed but make sure you book a table in dad acne.

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

The food and service is good at this restaurant, but it is so cramped and has so bad acoustics that it is hard to have a conversation without shouting. Be aware of peanuts on all noodles if you are allergic (not mentioned in the menu).

Reviewed 26 April 2014

A bit noisy, but wow, what great food, wonderful service, and fun local crowd! Loved the fish dishes, and they made things nice and spicy for me and mild for my spouse. Servers could not have been more attentive.