“Pretty good”

Ranked #1,484 of 3,767 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$25 - US$38
Cuisines: Mexican, South American
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Princeton, New Jersey
“Pretty good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

We liked Rose's Cantina. The restaurant has an airy sophisticated feel, and it was great to get some Mexican/Tex-mex after 2 weeks in Europe. Based on other reviews, I wasn't sure - but we had good service, and the food was pretty good. Not the best I've had, but better than I would expect in Amsterdam. My only disappointment was that the margaritas were REALLY weak. I hate that!

• Visited September 2013

• Greek first
Inverness
“Marty Robbins would have loved this”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

We found Rose's Cantina in the Dorling Kindersley guide to Amsterdam and went there on our second night. It was soooo good, we went back again the next night. OK, it's a bit loud on the music but you get used to that. The decor is simple, a bit quirky, but fine (photo attached).

I started with quesadella and my wife had the gambas. Both were excellent and I started to regret having a starter when I saw the (huge) portion size.

To follow, I had the chicken enchillada with soured cream, black beans, a really great sauce and extra guacamole on the side and my wife had the fish of the day which happened to be a favourite of hers - sea bass. A really smooth Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile's Maipo Valley accompanied the rich flavours and acceptably spiced dishes. I have only recently become a fan of Mexican food and really liked this meal. We hadn't booked, but at 6.30, were given a table right away. We turned up at 7 the next night and were lucky to be fitted in!

And the reference in the title to Marty Robbins? He had the 1950's hit with 'El Paso' in which the lines 'Night-time would find me at Rose's Cantina. Music would play and Felina would whirl.' occurred. Well, I don't know if our server was called Felina but she certainly whirled about the tables with friendly efficiency. All-in-all one of my best dining experiences and it didn't cost the earth at 74.50 EUR for two, including the wine plus the well-earned tip.

• Visited October 2013
Leeuwarden
“Disappointing and way overpriced!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

Eating dinner at Rose's Cantina was a disappointing experience. It's supposed to be a mexican restaurant but it's really not. It's just inspired by mexican food. The Mexican burger was very greasy and the bun was very hard (was a corn bread) and the garnish was not flavored. The portion was very small. For a main course of 18 euros I expected a little more than one small corn bread bun with a fatty hamburger and a tiny amount of greens. The enchilada was my partners choice. Again a small portion. For starters we ordered quesadillas but again tiny portions and barely filled. A bottle of normal water cost 5 euros which I find a bit over the top. The menu we also found to be sober, there was little to choose really. The service was a bit messy. The interior looks quite nice at first sight but the furniture is not comfortable, the seats are fragile and wobbly and the tables have splinters. The worst thing for us was the terrible price / quality ratio. When we complained about the food to the waitress, she laughed nervously and agreed, but did nothing about it. ... After 60 euros we were still hungry! ... For us it's a definite no go!

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Erwinner
“Great food, great atmosphere and a mean mojito!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

We Hadnt booked but the staff were very obliging and we got a table about 15 mins later, enough time for a cocktail beforehand. the mojitos are delicious. I started with grilled Gambas, big juicy and garlicky, could have done with some bread to mop up the juices though. Mr B chose the nachos, which were the nicest I have ever tasted, usually they consist of tortilla chips that look like someone has thrown up on them. For main I had a burger which was beautifully cooked and presented, served with salad and a sweet jacket potato with sour cream, Mr B had crispy fried cod on a bed of chopped octopus which was one of the specials and we had fries on the side. His main didn't disappoint either. The atmosphere is buzzing and the staff are attentive, efficient and very pleasant. Our bill with the Pre dinner drinks and a bottle of wine and a few beers was €120 inc tip.

• Visited July 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Roses Cantina - Terrific”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

If you are heading to Amsterdam and enjoy Mexican food I highly recommend visiting Roses Cantina. My sister and I spent a wonderful Sunday evening there sipping really good margaritas in the pretty courtyard garden. Definitely try the passion fruit ones! I would also suggest you try the Empanadas or Quesadillas; the food is really tasty and the service was great. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful in particular our server Ralph who made us feel very welcome. Overall a great place with an equally great atmosphere.

• Visited June 2013