“A bad experience and a great disappointment”
Review of The Dylan

The Dylan
Ranked #1,126 of 4,188 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: African, French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were so looking forward to lunch which had been well advertised with a 4 course menu. We had walked there especially. Looked promising from the street. However, despite appearances, the restaurant manager was utterly disinterested and failed to come back to us before we decided to leave. We will never know whether the food would have been worth waiting for. We left and enjoyed a meal elsewhere. Management's failure. Get staff who are awake and interested.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I was looking forward to trying the Dylan after a friend stayed there and recommended it. When I arrived at the hotel, I went straight to the beautiful terrace in the back. Before I could get there, someone from the front desk area ran out and asked if he could help me. I explained that I was going to the terrace for lunch and he snapped that the terrace was full even though there were obviously some tables available. We were elegantly dressed, so I am not sure why he was so abrupt or the reason for the interrogation when we entered. I had to make the obvious suggestion that perhaps we could sit in the restaurant or perhaps wait for a table. "No, we are fully booked." Period. So I asked one of the waiters and she said that we could wait in the restaurant or have lunch in the restaurant which was completed empty. We sat at a table and then waited for about 15 minutes with no menu and no service. So after waiting and being ignored, I went back to the courtyard, explained that no one was working in the restaurant. Only then were we given a table. The courtyard is lovely and the lunch was delicious. What took away from the experience was how disorganized the operation was....maybe it is poor management, but neighboring tables were left in disarray with dirty napkins on the tables and dirty plates. The sight of such a mess really took away from an otherwise pleasant dining experience. Towards the end of the meal, they finally managed to clear some of the neighboring tables and wipe them down. What was odd is that it didn't look like they were very busy....most of the tables were just having drinks so it's hard to explain why nothing was getting done. It just looked like a lot of people were walking around but completely ignoring the hotel guests! It's really a pity because this could be a gem if they polished it up a bit. It really is an oasis in Amsterdam but it still needs a bit more work.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Very friendly and attentive staff. Lovely courtyard off the restaurant. Wonderful food. We can throughly recommend the eating here.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

One of the best ever
Ambience super
Food unbelievable
Staff especially Marco and Casper made our visit more of an entertainment than a meal
Would recommend to all

Reviewed 10 January 2014

I had lunch at the Dylan in late December on a cold rainy 10-hour airport layover in Amsterdam. I took the train in from the airport--very easy, about 20 min and only a few bucks. Then, walked from the station to the Dylan. The walk was just the right amount of time to stretch our legs after an 11 hour flight...then there was the Dylan, its charming ambience, small town but high class feel, beautiful and tasteful holiday decorations, the superb staff at every post and the food--delicious! I had halibut, my bf had a burger. Both were delicious. They were perfectly prepared and beautifully presented. I would go back there in a heartbeat and would have loved to stay there. Highly recommend veering off the beaten path a little for this brasserie!

1  Thank Annie R