“Too expensive”

Neighbourhood: De Pijp
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Too expensive”
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

The food was not bad, though not great either. It was all, however, overpriced. For the prices you pay at Kagetsu you can have an excellent Japanse meal in Amsterdam and not the couple of nigiris you get at Kagetsu. It is too bad. This used to be a good sushi place, but the quality clearly has gone down, while the prices went up. We went on a Friday night and the place was completely empty...I guess I am not the only dissapointed one..

“Friendly service, relaxing decor and well presented authentic food”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We went on New Years Eve around 6pm and were the only customers at that time. Its situated on a nice street in the more bohemian part of the city near '9 streets', with lots of nice shops and eateries etc. The restaurant has a nice ambient atmosphere to it with good friendly service. The sushi chef and kitchen staff were all Japanese and therefore there was authentic food to be had with nice touches to the food presentation. We had the sushi set menu for two and there was more than enough food for a hungry couple. Sushi and salmon teriyaki is highly recommended.

“Unexpectedly tasty and fresh Sushi in a small off-centre restaurant”
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Lucky discovery where I least expected it, close to my off-centre B&B on a night I didn’t feel like going out again after a long day of meetings. I had seen the place (Kagetsu) on Woutstraat from the streetcar so I chose to go there even though it had not looked very promising from the outside. But oh, what a pleasant surprise. I had two starters (sunomono i.e. seaweed and vegetable marinated in vinegar as well as some raw octopus, both equally enjoyable) and some sushi to follow this up (avocado, kanpyo and takuwan maki), and boy, were they something else. At the risk of sounding gushy I will say that this sushi chef had it down to perfection as far as I am concerned – hand warm, rice just the right consistency, the kanpyo obviously home made, the avocado ripe and tasty – it all just blended together into a harmonious whole. Just so you know how to interpret this outburst, I am not an expert on Japanese cooking but I eat sushi quite a lot and have become rather discerning by now. I hate it for example, when the sushi have been sitting around for too long and get either chewy, or worse, dryish, and I hate it even more when the ingredients that were used came from the fridge and have lost any taste they ever had. If you share these preferences, Tagetsu’s might be just the place for you – provided they still have the same chef.