“Lovely cosy restaurant - tasty food”
Review of Mothers

Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Jordaan
Reviewed 4 May 2010

Moeders is a little way out of town but worth the walk. It was busy the whole night we were there with a mixture of local people and tourists. The service is friendly and non pretentious and the food good value. You pay a set price for a 3 course meal which is determined by the price of your main course.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,988)

Reviewed 24 April 2010

Having found Restaurant Moeders on Tripadvisor we were sure it would be something worth trying...And it was!

Local cuisine from the Netherlands was rather disappointing, not that tasty and not really anything special, so food-wise, we weren't too impressed. However, Moeders has a lot on the menu, and we tried the soup of the day, the dutch rice dish and dutch desserts. It can be that these are all not the best of the best, but in our opinion, the food was OK but nothing more.

Service? Well, I'd have given it a 5 if it wasn't for the fact that they blew up the atmosphere totally by closing-time. Moeders is supposed to, from what we knew, close at 10:30 PM. We entered the restaurant around 8:30-9 PM and before our desserts came in, they started taking care of dished and making noise, accompanied by loud music that didn't fit in to the atmosphere (they totally changed music, from Norah Jones to Rihanna, when the last guests except for us left). So their ignorance to the fact that there were 2 guests left really disappointed me.

Atmosphere before that however, is a 5+. The restaurant has a light setting that few other restaurants succeeds with, a cosy music and feeling that is unbeatable. And it's all in the line of the restaurant profile.

Reviewed 8 April 2010

My partner and I ate at Moeders and loved it. The restarurant is a cosy and quirky little place and is close to the centre of Amsterdam.

The staff were friendly and attentive and the food was great.

It was a crime I could not eat more!

Reviewed 5 April 2010

Amazing food at a very reasonable price (around 30 euros for 3 courses). Love their concept ( the wall full of pictures of mothers), they have certainly made their ambience and food homey, hearty and warm.

Traditional dishes like stamppot and beef stew were excellent. I also love how they have assortments of starters and desserts (so I don't have to choose among all the tasty dishes!) Oh, their chicken soup was one of the best I have ever tasted - if you still have space in your stomach...their portions are extremely generous! Nice housewine served in carafe!

Not surprised that they won the Timeout 2009 Best Dutch Restaurant award. Glad that I came here, now I know Dutch food can be delicious too!

One last thing, remember to make a reservation first! We've waited until 9:30pm for our table luckily our apartment was only 2 mins away!

Reviewed 11 March 2010

Moeders was recommended to us by the owners of the apartment we're renting while staying here in Amsterdam and now I feel the need to recommend it to others. This restaurant was wonderful!

When you go, you must absolutely order the Dutch Ricepot. It's a sampling of 8 or more traditional Dutch dishes - each one more delicious than the next. The braised beef was a thing of beauty. The potatoes with endive...delicious! And, the applesauce and wine poached pears were excellent.