“Wonderful dining find”
Review of de Luwte

de Luwte
Reserve with
de Luwte is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #193 of 4,047 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$22 - US$29
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Restaurant De Luwte has been a well-known establishment located at the Leliegracht in Amsterdam for over 27 years. This winter, it has renewed the look.As soon as you walk in you feel the warmth. Warmth coming from the cosy fireplace, but also the natural colors and materials surrounding you. You find yourself amongst the locals and internationals. Enjoy a nice glass of red wine by the fireplace, a special diner with a view over the Leliegracht or taste different cocktails below our vertical garden.The name 'De Luwte' means 'out of the wind' or a 'sheltered place'. De Luwte is a calm, relaxing spot in the centre of Amsterdam where you can escape the bustle of the city into a cosy and relaxing place.We have an international menu with a nod to the Mediterrenaen kitchen. To everyone's wish our menu is an affordable, obtainable and interesting answer.
Reviewed 26 June 2014

On our visit to Amsterdam we stayed at the 't Hotel on Leliegracht. After a long day of walking we decided to eat at de Lewte which is only several doors up the street. Oddly, when I searched Trip Advisor for a restaurant recommendation on the map feature, it didn't come up despite having good reviews. Anyway, we were delighted with the find. The setting was most pleasant on a quiet section of canal, the food was truly superb and the staff was welcoming and helpful. An English menu was provided although most of the patrons seemed to be locals speaking Dutch. The staff all spoke English. My wife had the beet/blood orange soup and the cod and marinated vegetables dish both of which she said were the best of the type she's had. I had scollops and mussels for an appetizer and grilled (rare) tuna on fresh pasta with a puttanesca sauce. It seemed an unusual combination but was perfectly executed and quite successful. Our American credit card was easily accepted. Overall, we think de Luwte was one of the great unplanned finds that one has traveling, but one that we will plan on returning to when we come back next year.

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We hadn't booked and were squeezed in before closing and were pleasantly surprised by the standard of food. Pigs cheeks stew was tasty and had some fine tasting red wine.

1  Thank ukcat1
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Our B&B recommended this place right around the corner. When we arrived (without reservations) we were told they were fully booked but we could wait if we wanted. Before we even took a sip of our wine a table was offered. My beet soup and my wife's salad were both excellent. I had the chicken, which turned out to be Cornish hen. My wife had the tenderloin. Hen was delicious. Steak itself was perfectly cooked, but lacking in flavor until tasted with the sauce. She especially like the potatoes. Too. Dessert was a lemon cheesecake with forest fruit sorbet. Who knew that was mixed berries? It was a fitting end to the only good meal we've had in Amsterdam so far.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

My husband, myself and another couple of friends recently visited the restaurant in early May. We shared 2 of the aged steaks which I think were €65 to share. They were initially sent out undercooked from what we ordered but this was soon rectified and they sent them out perfect the second time. They were magnificent as were the chips which came with them. The food was a bit pricy but you get what you paid for- all of us agreed a truly wonderful meal.

Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We are on a business trip and every evening we were looking for new restaurants. We found this really nice place with so friendly people. Wow! Thank you! The food is also very good and the card is small. So why 4 and not 5 stars? The fact is you maybe don't like the 5-6 menus on the card and I missed some additionals to my meal. I like to eat more and bigger portions. But this is a nice restaurant and I will come back for business dinners when I should be again in Amsterdam.