“Insanely overpriced, dull food with a no-frills atmosphere”
Review of Rainarai

Rainarai
Ranked #1,108 of 3,998 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Jordaan
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We'd been wanting to try this place for a while and finally went yesterday. It was a shock to see that the medium plate (rice or couscous w/ 2 sides) was €13,50 and the large (rice or couscous w/ 3 sides) a whopping €17,50, (vegetarian options strangely not any less expensive), but against our better judgement, we stayed.

It's an order at the counter and seat yourself, (if you're lucky to get a seat at one of the 3 small tables inside), kind of affair. We each choose a medium dish after ascertaining that the people before us had also had mediums (overpriced but enough for a hot midday lunch). But for some reason, (though we speak Dutch fluently and were friendly), we were given about half of what the previous customers had had. We ended up sharing a large instead because it was so overpriced.

The young fella (on his own on a busy, hot Sunday in Spring and looking rather hungover) didn't have much of a clue about what was in the offerings. When I asked what was in one of the desserts, he answered dates - and when I said and what else, he just shrugged and mumbled 'butter?'

The food was nothing special - all of the other factors made it insulting. The other reviewer is right about the contortionist toilet. I had to keep the door ajar in order to sit down! No soap to wash my hands..I don't know what the employee used to wash his...

1  Thank Louise A
There are newer reviews for Rainarai

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Came across this little place while walking the canals in Jordaan. I had never previously eaten chicken tagine and I was pleasantly surprised. You choose a plate size and then pick from the options on display. They reheat the plate in a steam oven while you sit and then they serve it to you. The restaurant is very cute and has just a handful of tables. The girl working was so sweet. She was by herself, yet managed to be attentive to all the customers. The environment was inviting and relaxing. I would definitely come back here again. It was a little pricey (33 euros for 2 people, including wine + tea) but well worth it in my opinion.

2  Thank xBret
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Lovely tiny restaurant with north African twist. You can choose from 5 different main courses. I wanted to taste them all. Not the cheapest lunch, but definitely worth every euro.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

At the end of the must visit Westerpark you can find the Rainarai. This is a Tunesian restaurant that in the summer places fire outside and makes you feel you are south, warm and enjoying the great bio and tasty food close to the dessert.
If visiting amsterdam with good weather is a MUST

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Tempted by its great location and a cute way they arranged the outdoor area, we ate a lunch at Rainarai. Food is more expensive than we expected, but it's quality was totally worth it. Pumpkin and feta thing is a must-have.