“Most delectable meal of my trip!”
Review of Long Pura

Long Pura
Reserve with
Long Pura is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #192 of 3,853 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$17 - US$56
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Jordaan
Description: At Long Pura, we serve traditional food in a gorgeous, modern interior, our meals are prepared according to old family recipes. Enjoy the abundance of our rice tables or varied a la carte menu. Our Balinese Chef and his team prepare tastes and fragrances to delight all your senses. You will taste the similarities with the ones in Indonesia. Longpura has more to offer than authentic meals! The hospitable staff with there colorful traditional clothes give you the impression as if you are dining with a friendly Indonesian family Restaurant Long Pura "Eternal Temple" is located in a typical monumental building in the cosy Jordaan area in the city centre of Amsterdam, nearby the Western Church. Upon entering you will be pleasantly surprised by the contemporary and stylish interior with Balinese elements. 7 Days a week you will be greeted with the"Selemat Datang" welcome from our traditional Indonesian dressed staff. . "Dining at Long Pura is a real experience. Eating here is guaranteed to give you that high level of service and high quality food at a pleasant price."
Miami, Florida, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Most delectable meal of my trip!”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Very rarely do I get back from a restaurant that I immediately want to write a review. This is the case with Long Pura. On the recommendation of a Dutch friend I searched for a rice table restaurant around the area I was staying in. There were two recommendations close by. There was Moedres and this one. We actually tried going to Moedres first but got completely ignored as we stood waiting for someone to acknowledge us for over 15 minutes.

So we walked down the street to Long Pura. First of all, let me say that they are a world of a difference based on the prices we saw, the ambience and the attention to detail.

We order the basic rice table for two, which is 25E per person. There are fancier ones that go up in price, but honestly the basic one is more than enough! I have no idea how people eat more. The idea of a rice table is that you get a sampling of various dishes, along with a portion of steaming, hot rice. We got 8-9 dishes (that are about 2-3 bites each), plus garnishes, and included 2 veggie dishes. We got something like this: a lamb curry dish, a chicken dish, lamb in coconut milk, some spicy pork dish, and then a beef dish, and, an egg dish and 2 chicken satay in peanut sauce.

All I have to say is that my mouth is still watering just remembering this meal. The amazing combination of favors was remarkable and every time we tried a new dish, it because the best one. It's hard to say which one I liked the best. I'm just sad that I know I will not be able to find an Indonesian restaurant in Miami.

As far as the restaurant itself, Long Pura is classy and even a little chic. I was glad that I was wearing a dress, as the restaurant is fancier than to be wearing jeans and a Tshirts. Service was good, and the waiters were prompt in coming to our table if we needed something.

Overall, if I have any friends that are coming to Amsterdam, I would highly recommend this restaurant. We went on a Tuesday so reservation was not needed, but I could see how you might need one on the weekend.

PS. Do not try to find this restaurant using your iPhone... It got us a bit lost. So make sure to look at the map on their webpage.

1 Thank Sarai305

• Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Charlotte, North Carolina
“What a find”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Recommended by our hotel as one of the best that locals frequent. Food was really good, service was equally as good. Our waiter recommended the choices which were varied and well prepared - couldn't have been better especially on a cold, rainy night. Lots to eat, soup was delicious, dessert was good too. Would recommend it to anyone visiting Amsterdam and would go back for another round

FloridaUSA
“Excellent”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Great local Indonesian restaurant. The Rijsttafel was superb. Short walk from the Hotel Pulitzer. Met the chef, native of Indonesia. Both Chef and owner were extremely accommodating. My wife is from Indonesia, and she absolutely loved the food and restaurant as well.

Visited September 2013
Washington DC
“Rice Table”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We came to Long Pura to have a rice table. We have eaten Indonesian food many times in the USA so we knew what to expect. We choose the smallest selection. In summery, we got what we expected. The food (many small plates) was tasty (some not as good as we have had) ,seemed well prepared. We could not finish all the food. Now I want to talk about the excellent service. One of us is gluten intolerant and we told the server this . She assured us that all we would be servered would be acceptable. The rice that came with our meal was different because the normally served rice has a wheat product. .She told us that the peanut sauce served with the Satay was not prepared in house and they could not be sure it was gluten free, so they served us two sauces one gluten free and the normal peanut sauce

Alabama
“A great introduction to Indonesian cuisine”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

It was our first meal in Amsterdam and our first experience with Indonesian food. Having eaten our way around Paris, we were not certain what to expect. The staff was very helpful and informative about the menu. Our meal was delicious. We ordered a three course tasting and it was all excellent. We would recommend to our friends and family.