“Not the usual European 3* quality...”
Review of Hotel Patou

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Patou
Ranked #319 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 10 September 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle M

Reviewed 20 June 2012

It takes quite something for me to say bad... but I had to complain so many times during my stay that it actually deserves it this time. We got there, we were told to enter through the restaurant with all the luggge (avoiding tables and people having lunch) once inside they told us to enter through the other door, again tables and people. We go up one level with a lift and we are told that only one of the two bedrooms is ready. We say, ok, let's leave the luggage in the other bedroom and let's go walk around. The room was spacious, large enough and with nice design but it had some kind of an "unfinished design" flavour to it. When we received the second room the door to the bathroom (and toilet) would not close without scratching the ceiling and making the paint from the top fall on your head. They told us to "leave the door open" as a solution. There was no wifi in the room (although we were given a wifi password). We were told that only some of the rooms had wifi (those closer to the signal) We complained and we were told that no other rooms were available and the only solution would be to take us to another hotel (we planned this trip months in advance and we chose this hotel for its location).The location is really good within walking distance of so many attractions but the hotel itself is not worth the outrageous amount of money we were charged (It was a holiday period) we even booked an upgraded room and we ended up in a regular room because it was the only one with wifi around (the paint on the ceiling kept falling though in this DIFFERENT room.
Service from the manager was AWFUL, he was disrespectful, rude, dismissed us by waving his hand and did not offer truly satisfactory answers/solutions to any of our issues.
Would not recommend it, would not go back... if you find it cheap get it and do not expect too much (that way you might actually get a good impression)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Reviewed 7 May 2012

First of all - hotels in Amsterdam are expensive and finding a room with private bathroom is sometimes impossible without paying a small fortune for a night. This hotel is a good value for money but it could be better.

What I liked:
Our room was small but clean. I liked the design, the bathroom was small but very smart designed so it was comfortable in use. The bed was extremely comfy - big, with soft pillows and warm duvet - something really nice after the whole day of walking. The location is also good - a walking distance to the centre (with canals and other nice Amsterdam-ish things ;)), the neighbourhood is rather posh, with fancy shops and other expensive stuff.

What I didn't like:
The internet connection in our room didn't exist (2nd floor). We could use the wi-fi only at the reception (a small room on the 1st floor, next to the restaurant kitchen). One thing that was really annoying - the receptionist worked also in the restaurant downstairs so he sometimes wasn't available at the desk and people had to wait for him to come and check them in or out... This was kinda odd. The entrance to the hotel is next to the restaurant doors, you have to ring to get there and we waited like 10 mins on the street until some man came down and said we needed to go through the restaurant. The only way led up the really narrow staircase and it was hard to get up to the first floor with heavy and big luggage... No kettle/tea set in our room, no breakfast.

And last but not least - I saw a mouse at the reception. I was sitting there and surfing the internet when I saw it came from the closet next to the desk. And that was really NOT nice, that mouse.

If there was a kettle and there wasn't a mouse, I would give 4 points in overall rating instead of 3.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

ok..it's probably my fault..when I see "boutique hotel" I always dream of a tiny clean and warm place, maybe hidden but cosy and nice
Patou it's on a great location if you are a museum freak (I'm am!!) and also on a shopping street, but since the beginning it has been disappointing
I received an email after my booking where they ask me to communicate them my arrival time..??? I've tried several times to call them without no one picking up the phone..I was a little bit worried also Maybe I booked a ghost hotel.. After several attempt some one finally answered and they told me that the hotl reception was closed after 7pm..
on my arrival I had the familiar sensation of claustrophobia that I always have on tiny Amsterdam hotels..the door was greasy and pitiful andso the compressed aisle .
The room could have been worst but again thesloppy cleaning and the rippen towel leave a faulty feeling to this experience

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I arrived and had to knock on the door of the cafe downstairs and attract the attention of the person sweeping up. Internet was not working. No TV in the room. Room dusty. Woken frequently throughout the night as windows were no insulation from the sound of passing revellers, cars and bikes etc. Cafe opens at 8.30am - too late for us to have breakfast and get to our appointments. Cursory making up of room. No proper reception. Ambivalent about lack of TV. Overall fairly rubbish.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple