“pity about the hygeine”
Review of Bojo Restaurant

Bojo Restaurant
Reserve with
Bojo Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,050 of 3,805 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$0 - US$17
Cuisines: Indonesian, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“pity about the hygeine”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

in fairness, the food is reasonable value for money with a \good variety.
On the negative, I saw cockroaches running across the rattan decor on the walls. I appreciate that these vermin are abundant in the older parts of towm, but most restaurants keep them out of the dining area. Give your coat a good shake before you leave.,

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Binthardonnit

“Overpriced, tasteless food served in an uncomfortable hovel”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

The owners might think that not having refurbished (or even spring-cleaned) in 40 years adds to the charm of the place but in my view it just makes it scummy.

If they were charging €5 for a bowl of street food, I'd be perfectly happy to sit in a dingy room at a dirty table on a manky old stool with no back, constantly rubbing shirts with the guy sitting behind me on the next table. But when I'm paying €18 for a main dish with starters and side dishes on top, quite frankly I expect a bit more comfort and cleanliness.

For this price I also expect the food to taste of something. I got a bowl of boiled cabbage and tofu with some prawn crackers thrown on top. You're expected to spice it up yourself with the bottle of sambal at the edge of the table, but freshly made it ain't. With a bottle of sambal from a supermarket, like this, I could have cooked this myself with absolutely no experience of Indonesian cooking and it would probably have tasted nicer.

Like most other negative reviews on TripAdvisor, I have to agree that the waitress was very pleasant and the service was swift.

But don't go to Bojo. Puri Mas, a few doors along, is a much nicer Indonesian restaurant, with decent food served in comfortable, clean surroundings, all for the same price as Bojo.

• Visited May 2014
Denton, Texas, United States
“Terrible service and poor food!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We picked up their card from our hotel, and since my family originated from the Dutch East Indies, I was excited to eat Indonesian food. Since they are a "night restaurant" and advertised hours of 4pm-2am, we intentionally arrived about 11:45pm. When we opened the door, the waiter said "We close in 15 minutes, so can you eat in 15 minutes?" I said "We can order in 15 minutes". As soon as we sat down, he hovered over us telling us we need to order now. We didn't get to look over the menu. Fortunately, I was familiar with Indonesian entrees so I could order quickly. The food was horrible, especially if you've eaten authentic Indonesian food. We ate in 10 minutes, and when we got the ticket, I pulled out my MasterCard and he said "We only take cash". I said "Your sign on the door says you accept MasterCard and Visa". He said the machine is broken and we have a sign on the door (I double checked and there was no sign). I only had 30 euros and my ticket was 42 euros. I asked if he would accept US dollars, and he said no. He said I should go to the ATM machine down the street. I had to leave my son at the restaurant and walk down the street (single woman at night by myself to an ATM machine...I was a little scared). He was completely rude. Also heard the only other customers in the restaurant obviously unhappy with the service. Do not waste trying to find this horrible place.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Daphne Z
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Indonesian Dinner”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We ate here on a recent trip to Amsterdam. The restaurant is located in one of the narrow streets off LeidseStraat, between Prinzengracht and Leidseplein. It is quite small but we got a table OK. The menu had a selection of Indonesian dishes, and there were several specials available too. The food was absolutely delicious, and very reasonably priced. Service was very good and very friendly. Excellent meal.

• Visited April 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“One of my favourite spots in Amsterdam since 1989”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Ever since a friend first took me to Bojo back in 1989 I've been coming back here. I just love the Lontong Rames and the Daging Rendang.
If you're looking for fine dining or posh furnishings this is not the place for you. I'm pretty sure the stools I sat on last weekend were still the same I sat on when I first visited.
However if you're looking for a relaxed atmosphere and tasty Indonesian food then I can highly recommend Bojo. On a busy day you may end up sharing a table with total strangers but that's just part of the charm of the place.
Rijsttafel is as typical for the Netherlands as snert (pea soup) and pancakes. If you haven't tried it before then order a Lontong Rames Speciaal; it's a mini-rijsttafel on a plate.

• Visited March 2014