“It's like a super-sized cafeteria”
Review of La Place Cafe

La Place Cafe
Ranked #338 of 4,003 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Chinese, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Centrum
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

It's like a cafeteria except you can get food made-to- order. I had a pizza for €9.95; my wife had a big salad that was pay-by-weight.

Quality: excellent
Price: competitive ($$)
Service: mostly self-

If you are looking for good food that is quick and won't break the bank, this is La Place.

There are newer reviews for La Place Cafe

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Food was really yummy, but it wasn't cheap.
Staff was not friendly and you had to pay for toilet ( 0.25 euro ).
It was my first visit and also my last, because it's not worth to pay so much for such poor service.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stopped in here, finally. I bought a huge slice of pizza for a late night bite to keep in my hotel room. The pizza, which I took away and ate, cold, was delicious. The service at the till was warm and helpful. The next day I went back to get some goodies for my plane ride the next day. Again, the salad bar was exquisitely fresh and frequently topped up. I asked for help in finding a vegetarian quiche and was helped instantly, warmly and thoroughly. Also, grabbed some salads and another slice of pizza. I should have had my salads weighed before hitting the till, but the lovely woman was uncomplaining and warmly shushed my aplogies as she ran to weigh them for me. Now, I see what all the fuss is about. I can't wait to go and have a civilised meal there, next time!

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We were limited on time, but the tomato and basil soup that we ate for lunch was divine.

It's a really interesting concept, with lots of different counters and a huge amount of choice but was definitely a bit chaotic and people had no qualms clattering into other people who were trying to balance trays of food!

It's cafeteria style, but made with excellent quality, organic and locally produced ingredients.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We've lived in the Netherlands a couple of times. The second time we discovered La Place which was (still is?) part of Vroom & Dreesmann, the large chain of department stores. It was a revelation, quite like unlike anything we had in the UK. And it's still like that! Beautiful displays of sandwiches, salads, pizzas, wok-type foods etc etc.

First of all we had breakfast at La Place at the OBA on a Sunday morning - such a wonderful place plus the cafe was really quiet. Breakfast (coffee, orange juice + 5 items (ie choose from rolls, eggs, ham, salads etc) was only €2.95, a huge piece of apple cake & coffee was only €2.90), such good value and a fab place.

Next day we had lunch at La Place on Kalverstraat. How bizarre that a previous poster mentioned seeing mice in the place - when we lived there it was rumoured, I repeat rumoured, that vermin had been seen in the one in The Hague. Totally incorrect I'm sure.

Anyway, it was difficult to choose what to have for lunch, it just looks all so good. And I didn't spot any hygiene problems. I decided to have one of the wok dishes but then had to make further choices - size, ingredients etc. I opted for the large at €14 - mistake, I should have opted for the smaller! It was huge but very tasty - Thai curry, prawns, veg, noodles etc. It was lovely. My wife opted for a tasty sandwich & coffee.

This was a Monday lunch time & the queue was minimal. Loads of seating space.

Recommended.