“Great for value and location”

Hotel V Frederiksplein
Ranked #98 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 16 July 2010

The Hotel V has glass tinted windows and at first glance doesn't look like a typical hotel. It is one or two blocks away from the main street that runs through Dam Square and down towards Museumplein. It is very close to the Heinekan brewery. The lobby is roomy, clean and modern. The check-in staff were all great, friendly, efficient and informative. Our room was smaller than a matchbook and we were in the basement of their 2nd building, which my husband dubbed The Dungeon (the main building's basement looked exactly the same). It was clean though, and that matters more to me than room size. I would imagine most people visiting Amsterdam will be more concerned with the location and price than room size, so for these reasons I rate it highly. The #4 tram picks up 1 or 2 blocks away and the #25 stops directly outside the hotel. We paid for the breakfast buffet which was a nice assortment of cheeses, coldcuts, cereals and fresh fruits and juices. Pretty standard continental breakfast selections, offered from 7:30-10:30 every morning. They have free wi-fi in rooms as well as 2 computers set up in the lobby for free internet access. Overall, a good hotel for the price and location. Can't see how more than 2 people can fit in the room, so it's more for singles & couples than families.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sanfrantravelnut

Reviewed 12 July 2010

I was recommended this hotel by my local friend, who lived close by. The hotel looked very nice in their website and since the location was good, I booked it.

Thou the lobby looks nice and designed, that's where it ends. Here's a quick rundown of the hotel:

- There is no A/C in the hotel anywhere which is a problem when the temp goes above +24c (as it did during my stay). One window opened about 30cm, but there is a tram stop outside the hotel and the trams ring bells when approaching the stop, so it will wake you up.
- My room (302) had a double bed, and abou 80cm space around it, nothing else. If you have 1 or 2 big suitcases, there's no other space to open them up except the bed, on which you obviously can't keep them throughout the night
- The blackout blinds are positioned so, that sunlight will shine between straight to your face when you're lying on the bed. One of the blind was very difficult get all the way down, as someone talented decorator had installed a coat hanger so that it blocks partially the blind.
- There is no minibar in the room, nor there is no ice maker on the hallway. You can get ice from the hotel bar, but only in a very small ashtray type of dish. Forget ice buckets.
- TV has basic channels only (about 30), PayTV did not work, Info screen did not work
- Hotel room door uses a traditional key, that you need to use when entering the room, inside the room if you want to lock the door (as you do) and when leaving the room. There is no autolock.
- Door handle came off on my hotel room door
- Bathroom is quite nice and modern, but very small, only about 80cm x 150cm and there's no space to put your toiletries besides a very narrow shelf (5cm x 20cm)

- Modest continental breakfast; 2 types of rolls, 2 types of croissants, 2 types of cereal, 2 types of coldcuts, cheeses, coffee, tea, and warm orange juice and warm milk. Not worth paying for if you think about booking it separately.

- Hotel is in 2 different buildings and to get to the back building you need to go outside through inner courtyard. The back building has very narrow and very steep staircase to the extend that I would not recommend this hotel to anyone with even slight mobility issues. The steps were about 15cm wide and 25cm high, so it would be dangerous with children, elderly or with even minor issues with balance, fear of heights or lifting feet.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank JMal555
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Stayed in Hotel V for 2 nights in July. Mix of business and pleasure.
Hotel V offers itself as a bit of a funky, modern hotel, which granted it was, however, I really can’t make my mind up if I enjoyed my stay.
One key point to make, this hotel is not for anyone wheel chair bound or has a walking disability. There are high and low steps into and out of the rooms and into the bathrooms, the stairs are steep and I ended up tripping up in my room. It is a very strange layout indeed.
The positive side
Off the main areas of Amsterdam, it was fairly quiet. I had a room in the basement, facing away from the road so no traffic noise for me and could not hear anyone. There is a tram stop right outside the hotel. There is free internet access with a couple of Apple Mac’s, you get free tea and coffee from the bar during your stay and there is a happy hour in the bar from 6-7pm. This is bottled beer but all half price at 3.50 Euros for a bottle of beer. Staff were friendly and could not fault them.
The shower was excellent with a decent hairdryer and towels with complimentary soaps and shower gels. There was a TV in the room as well.
All keys are handed into reception when you go out and collected from reception as well.
The negative side
No aircon in room, so room was warm. I had a basement room facing towards the back which was not too bad but my colleague had a room on the 1st floor and it was awful.
The room itself was pretty small and dark, in fact, so dark, the safe that was situated on the floor in the corner was useless as I could not even see the numbers to use it, let alone, get on my hands and knees to use the thing anyway.
Bed was very soft and the pillows were pretty dreadful.
The high steps into and out of the room were a pain, and the steps leading down from the bar / breakfast area to your seats are not safe as yet again, after you descend, you step up and down for no apparent reason.
The breakfast was average, cereals, boiled eggs, range of breads and hams. There is no real kitchen area as such so they are limited to what they can serve. The positive side is there is a good selection of teas and they can make you coffee straight from the bar using a decent machine.
I really can’t decide if I will stay again, I am due to go back to Amsterdam with work so will need access to hotels. The biggest benefit to me on this hotel is it’s location away from the majority of noise.
How to get there.
From Schipol airport, take the train at a cost of 4.20 Euros for a single trip from either platform 1 or 2. The train takes 15-20 mins to arrive in Amsterdam Central.
From there, you have three choices.
Walk
Will take approx 30 mins and is fairly easy to do, but, depends upon your luggage and the heat of the day etc.
Tram.
I took a tram from the hotel to the station at a cost of 2.60 Euros for a single trip. There are two trams, 4 or 25. I don’t know if the same tram runs from the station to the stop at the hotel. It takes about 10 mins. If you have never used the tram before, you board at the back and you pay a ticket inspector as you board.
Taxi
Around 20 Euros for the trip. Note minimum cab fare in Amsterdam is 7.50 Euros.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2010

This was my first time to Amsterdam and traveling alone to a new city in a totally different language can be quite adventurous. I took the train from the airport to Centraal Station and hopped on the #25 tram which takes you directly to the front of the hotel. The hotel have rooms in different buildings and mine was in the back of the main building. I was assigned a room on the second floor and the girl told me there was no lift. My jaws dropped and she immediately asked if I would need help with the luggage. Luckily I was smart to store part of my luggage in the airport or else I would need to carry over 30kg. However, with the offer, I gladly accepted it. As I walked through the black corridor in the back building, I saw a narrow and steep staircase with a turnabout. I felt bad for the guy who was going to bring my luggage up.

Opening the door to my room, I was literally 2 steps away from the wash basin and a step to the right was the bed. The room was small, but it did fit the queen size bed. I was looking for the bathroom to find a hidden door next to the wash basin. As I pull open the door, the toilet facing the wall was merely 8 inches away and the shower area was an elbow apart. If you are over 6'3, this would be a really uncomfortable toilet. If you are claustrophobic, you cannot survive the bathroom. Other than the size, it was clean.

The room does not have any coffee/tea or water. The bar area in the lobby offers free coffee/tea throughout the day. The staffs there are all multi-talented. The guy who brought my luggage up was also the bartender and occasionally a receptionist.

Amsterdam is definitely a city to be seen by foot. There's a supermarket 2 blocks away from the hotel. Two of the sightseeing attractions are 5 minutes away (Heineken Brewery and the Albert-cuypt Market. The reception can provide you with the map of Amsterdam with all the attractions to be seen/visited, so no need to purchase one from the tourist information counter at the airport for 4 Euros.

My booking included buffet breakfast daily. The buffet offering are mainly continental breakfast with some cold-cuts and boiled egg at its max. Anything additional will be charged. However, i find their offering to be very fresh daily. So really, no need for the extras.

On the day of my departure, the housekeeper assisted me with the luggage again and they stored it till whenever I needed to.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Used Tripadvisor to find a decent hotel in Amsterdam and we weren't disappointed. Yes, the rooms are small but they are clean and well presented. With a great city like Amsterdam on your doorstep who wants to spend much time in a hotel room? The staff were all very helpful and friendly and seemed genuinely keen to make guests welcome at the hotel. Although the atmosphere is very relaxed, standards are high and the self service breakfast definitely sets you up for a day of exploring the canals and backwaters of this fascinating city.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 27 April 2010

This hotel took me in while I was stuck in Amsterdam because of the Iceland volcano. They really went out of their way to accommodate a stranded traveler. Great service, everyone was very nice.

The location couldn't be better, about 10 feet from the train stop fredricksplien (translated to Fredricks Square). It's a very short walk to Rembrandtplien (Rembrandt Square) where there are a ton of bars and good restaurants. It's also an easy walk to the Heineken brewery.

I had the largest room in the hotel on the top (4th) floor. It was a good size for a european hotel. I know that some of the rooms in the basement are very very small but mine was plenty big for me.

For value the hotel doesn't charge for wireless internet and has free coffee, espresso, etc all day, free breakfast. They also didn't charge me for making an international call when I checked out but that could have just been because they were being nice.

I would for sure recommend this hotel to both business and pleasure travelers.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2010

Hotel V offers stylish comfort and attentive service in an interesting location right on a tramline, about ten minutes ride to Dam Square. The guest lounge is particularly inviting with its open fireplace and relaxing ambience. We particularly enjoyed the generous buffet breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple