“Beer is great! Food not so much...”
Review of Jopenkerk

Jopenkerk
Ranked #3 of 344 Restaurants in Haarlem
Cuisines: Dutch
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A regional Brewery with all kinds of beer from their own brewery. You can go for a drink, for lunch and dinner, all 'honest' products, Dutch cuisine with a nice authentic touch!
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Let me just say the beer here is great and the church is beautiful inside. We have been a few times now to try the different beers and one time we did get hungry so we decided to order some food. Probably a mistake since they obviously want the beer to be the focus here and that is understandable.

My partner got the burger and he said it was probably the worst one he has ever had. It was mostly because the bun was so stale... I got a cesaer salad (Which I admit this is probably a poor choice for a brewery but I was just craving a salad all of a sudden). It was not bad... but not good... Everyone else we were with hated their food and were alot more vocal about it but I don't like to make a fuss to service staff since I have been a server.

Lastly, I assume the fried items from the menu are fine since it's a bar menu. So stick to those things or eat your main meal elsewhere before/after sampling all the delcious beers! That's all!

Proost!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,185)

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Great little brewery with a wide range of boutique beers in an old church with plenty of atmosphere.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

In the past it was a church (Jacobskerk), but now it functions as a brewery for the Haarlem's beer Jopen, who owns now the church. It also works as a restaurant and a café. In the spring-summer (or when it's sunny) they get the majority of Hortusplein for their terrace, so it's quite nice to seat outside. It is quite popular so in the evenings and weekends it gets quite crowded.

You can have lunch and dinner here, or just have a beer. They serve of course Jopen beer, but also a lot of different varieties, so this could be one to write down for the beer lovers.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Popped in here twice on a short break in Haarlem. Staff were really lovely, offering advice on beers & food. We really enjoyed the atmosphere and interesting setting.

There's lots of beers to choose from and some good snack choices to soak up the alcohol. There's lots of tables on the plaza outside if its a nice evening.

I'd definitely recommend on a visit to Haarlem.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This brewery was lively and fun to grab a few beers and snacks. It wasn't that warm when we were there but it looked like they have a large patio to sit outside when the weather is nice. Jopen beers are great!