“Unpretentious, welcoming and great food.”
Review of Karmozijn

Karmozijn
Ranked #106 of 344 Restaurants in Haarlem
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: fabelous restaurant a one man show, kitchen and service in one hand. very cosy interior, good wines and menu price around 40 Euros
Reviewed 30 July 2013

A most excellent evening. We were welcomed by the chef/patron who was attentive throughout providing a welcome atmosphere, excellent cooking and good judgement. We were reluctant to leave! Highly recommended and we look forward to a return visit.

1  Thank Aramintap

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We ate here with the four of us. I live in Haarlem and I'd cycled past this place on many occasions but it is very modest from the outside and it didn't really register that it was a restaurant. It was only by word of mouth that I heard how good it was. Stepping into the restaurant is like stepping back in time. It has such a fantastically old fashioned, ornate interior. I loved it. It is quite a small restaurant (which I guess is intentional because Ton does everyting himself) so it had a very cosy, familiar atmosphere.
Ton advised on the wine, and we chose our food. From start to finish it was a true dining experience. It is not the type of restaurant where you are rushed in, fed and pushed out, you need to allow for the whoe night and each course is presented at exactly the right time when you've had time to savour and digest the last course and you are ready for the next.
The food is exceptional - very well presented and tastes delicious. But the most impressive thing about Karmozijn is Ton - he takes everything in his stride, cooking and serving everyone with no stress, modest attitude, whist sipping glasses of champagne in between!
He truly has a unique package, I'd recommend this to anyone.

1  Thank joanne_wyatt
Reviewed 13 January 2013

This is an extraordinary place. Ton is not only a very gifted cook, but also an immaculate host, waiter, sommelier. Cooking is very much in the classical style. Wine list is limited, but Ton always has something special up his sleeve. I always felt most comfortable leaving arrangements to him. You are treated as a personal guest and there is a refreshing lack of the mannerisms. No pointing with the little finger. No clever arrangements of food morsels on the plate. Instead sensational flavours and a homely atmosphere. I rarely left before midnight.

3  Thank Jens S
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Again we had a very memorabel evening at the Karmozijn. Ton, the host, chef and sommelier, took very good care of us.

You have an excellent selection from the menu and you can choose courses to make up a 3 or 4 course menu. I went for the starter with parma ham and duck liver shavings, grilled scallops with a tomato sabayon and a calf ribeye with a sauce based on sweetbread. All were delicious.

What I find remarkable is that the wines from the winelist can be drunk by the glass! An excellent service indeed.

Very recommendable restaurant in a very nice street in the centre of Haarlem

2  Thank Johan17
Reviewed 30 September 2012

What can I say, sometimes restaurants still surprise you, and this was definitely the case here. The owner has made it his own challenge to do it all and to do that all alone. Somehow he excelled in it. As a result everything is just perfect. It takes up all evening and that's just part of the experience. Loved it!