“Good hotel, great location”

Ambassador City Centre Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Haarlem
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had a triple room, and it was quite spacious. Everything was clean and in working order. The desk staff were very helpful, and it was quite reasonable to use the phone to make an international call. The hotel is located in the heart of Haarlem, with lots of restaurant options nearby. It's an easy walk to the train station. The Saturday morning market, which is fantastic, is only steps away.

Room Tip: We reserved a deluxe room. I'm not sure it was deluxe in décor, but it definitely was spacious.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Very well located hotel, fair foom rate, kirsch decor with thousands of watches at the reception lounge and the breakfast place with Egyptian motifs. Nice and silent rooms and I must say that in my case I got an amazing sight from the tower of the Grot of St. Bavokerk.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed 3 nights in a two-story family room at the Ambassador Hotel. It's furnished sparely - no art on the walls or anything, really. This hotel has "wet" bathrooms - now shower door, curtain or anything separating you from the toilet and vanity except a few inches. It was quite warm during our early July stay and there were oscillating floor fans on both stories of the room. This was room 120, and even though it's listed as "first floor" you have to climb another set of tall stairs (carrying your luggage) to reach the hallway where this room is located.

Loved hearing the church bells through the open window. Our room overlooking the courtyard was pretty quiet area in spite of the central location. It did get noisy after Holland's quarter-final win of the World Cup - everyone in orange. Pretty cool!

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a courtyard-facing room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NotALostWanderer
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed for two weeks in Joops Hotel, an annex of the hotel located in a side alley off the main building. I am going to try to objectively state the pluses and minuses.

Location: The hotel is smack in the center of the delightful old city of Haarlem, by the market square, surrounded by all the historic buildings including the Great St Bavo Cathedral. Joops Hotel is about a 100 m walk into a side alley off the hotel lobby. It was quite a hassle lugging my suitcase (very big because long stay) along the old unevenly cobbled street. Fortunately once inside the building there is a (very narrow) elevator with which to get my stuff to the 3rd floor. I rented a bike and thanks to the staff was able to stash it in the hotel's courtyard which was accessible through a hole-in-the-wall door in the same alley. At night you can hear the Haarlem nightlife going on outside, especially from the cannabis cafe right across. But the neighborhood is otherwise quite safe. You can walk to the railway station in about 15 minutes.

Room: The room, a studio apartment for 3, was quite spacious. The furniture was mostly old wooden furniture. The windows were openable, enabling some ventilation, but did not shut tightly enough to prevent the cold from seeping in. There was a kitchenette in the room, but I never used it other than the microwave because the cooking fumes would surely be hard to get rid of. The single beds were very narrow so that I -- and I am a 5" Asian -- had to be very careful when turning over, and the mattress was old and gave me back pain. I also wished they had better, brighter lighting in the room. The rooms facing the courtyard and at the main building seem to be more "hotel-like," more modernly furnished and have better light. There is free wifi in the room with reasonable speed.

Cleanliness: The carpet was rather stained. The bathroom was a narrow affair with no shower curtains and no boundaries between the toilet - sink - and shower area. Whenever we shower the whole bathroom would get wet and a squeegee is provided to remedy that.

Amenities: The hotel does not provide towels or bath amenities. Eating utensils are provided in the kitchenette. There is a communal washing machine for which you can purchase detergent tablets at the front desk. Buffet breakfast is served in the main building and good value, with eggs, pastries, toast, cheeses, cured meats, salad, fruits, and jams in abundance.

Service: The staff is young, speak English well, and eager to help. They provided me with my own door pass to access the courtyard to stash my bike, without extra charge. Stashing your luggage at the front desk while waiting for checkin or after checkout was also not a problem. Only thing is they were unable to help me get my luggage to the room because there were only 2 of them at the front desk and that's all the staff they have on duty. Joops Hotel (the annex) is unmanned save for the cleaning lady who comes in the mornings.

Overall the feel was more like a student dormitory, but not bad I guess for a long-ish budget stay.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 12 June 2014

great location... You can always hear the church bells and wish the collection of clocks in the reception were working.. Great place to be live in and very centrally located... The loo was a tad small compared to the size of the room , but it is a nice place....

Room Tip: The rooms on the 1 floor are a bit of a climb and I think the rooms on the ground floor are bigger...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed in this hotel because it was booked by our tour group. The location was excellent & within walking distance to many great sites & the canal. The room, however was not so great. We understand they were in the middle of remodeling & figure they just hadn't gotten to our room yet. The carpet was stained & worn while the walls had numerous scuff marks & in desperate need of paint. Otherwise the room appeared clean (sheets, sinks, bathroom). Can't beat the location!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

My husband & I spent 4 nights at the Ambassador City Hotel in Haarlem. Great location overlooking the beautiful St. Bravo church and one of the town squares. The room was big & comfortable w/3 large windows. The bathroom wasn't cleaned well when we checked in was never cleaned well during our stay. It also needed updating. The carpet in the room was stained and needed replaced and the TV was tiny. The desk staff could have been more friendly. Over all we enjoyed our visit and the location was perfect.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple