“Felt like home!”

Bed and Breakfast L'Anders
Ranked #2 of 18 Haarlem B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I had a wonderful stay at Bed & Breakfast L'Anders.

The location can't be beat: right on the Grote Markt, close to everything. Also, the train station is only a 10 minute walk, and from there you can get just about anywhere so easily.

I was in Room 2, at the back of the building - great choice. No noise from the square, and only one flight of stairs to climb. The room was large, and I had everything I needed. Very comfortable. I think the only thing I would comment on is that, even without being on the market square, there was still noise in the room from other guests coming and going (i.e. noises from doors and stairs, etc). The B & B did provide ear plugs, which was awesome. I'm a very light sleeper, so if I was OK, anyone would be OK. :)

Breakfast was wonderful - what a treat to sit on the square each morning, have a wonderful meal, and watch the world go by. Also, the staff was extremely accommodating with my dietary requirements. Couldn't have been more helpful! I had to leave early on my final morning, and they packed the nicest little breakfast for me to take to Schiphol.

I almost always travel by myself and don't usually enjoy sitting in a restaurant for dinner alone, but the staff at L'Anders made me feel right at home, and I had two excellent dinners there.

The owners and staff at this B & B made it one of the friendliest I have ever stayed at. I can't say enough about all of them - just exceptional. It felt like I was still at home. I wouldn't stay anywhere else next time I come to Haarlem.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Twinkle-Teeth
There are newer reviews for Bed and Breakfast L'Anders

Reviewed 2 September 2013

A superb stay in the Grotte market with the most generous hosts. We were in room 1 overlooking the market square. Yes it was noisy at night but that reflected the life of the place. It was like living on a film set. We loved it and we slept really well without ear plugs! We stayed for 6 nights and felt really at home. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. Lots of lovely food as well as advice about places to go and things to see. Lovely little treats like complimentary drinks and packed lunches when we couldn't make breakfast. We were in our car and parking around about is not too easy. Something that makes Haarlem really special as the bike clearly had priority over cars. It was suggested we leave our car at the park and ride at Ikea and get the train into the town. This worked really well for us.
Such a great holiday, so many kind and friendly people. We cannot recommend this place to stay and Haarlem enough. Many many thanks.

Room Tip: Room 1 is huge with a great view of the market square
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kay w
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Acomodating host! All rooms are on the 2nd or 3rd floor, steep steps but they bring up your luggage. Nicely decorated. Hair dryer available. No A/C but generally not needed as it cools off at night even on the hottest day. Breakfast is served starting at 10 am but any day you want an early start, let them know the afternoon before and they will pack up a breakfast for you and leave it in thr 3rd floor fridge. Grote market square is beautiful but can be quite noisy on a summer weekend evening. Some do not depart until 4 or 5 am! Bring good quality ear plugs and you will have a great stay (test the ear plugs 1st, they are not all equal)

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We had the most amazing time! 5 of us were on a mother/daughter Taste of Europe! And we all agreed that L'Anders in Haarlem was our favorite place of the whole trip. Xiadong (our wonderful host) was gracious and welcoming! We arrived after a looonnng flight from Atlanta and were delighted that we were staying at Brasserie L'Anders. This charming bed and breakfast is right on the Grote Markt . I have never been anywhere so charming in my life! We had a wonderful night and great breakfast was included. We sat outside and watched people riding by on their bikes while dining on cheeses, bread, yogurt, nutella.... and yummy coffee. The church where Mozart played as a child was steps away. Shopping was delightful. And our favorite part.... the Corrie Ten Boom haus was a few blocks away! A free tour ( they do take donations and sell books) of the home where they hid jews during WWII was inspiring! We visited 4 countries during our trip, but L'Anders in the Netherlands was our favorite! Thank you Xiandong Watchao! Your family is lovely! If you are ever in Atlanta, we would love to welcome you into our home like you welcomed us!

Room Tip: the front room has an amazing view of the square, but there were some people laughing loudly after m...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ali M
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We stayed at this wonderful B&B for two nights before joining up with our tour group. Upon arriving early on our first day, we knew the room would not be ready so we decided to leave our luggage with the caretaker at the restaurant. The restaurant looked so inviting that we decided to have a lovely and delicious lunch only to be surprised that the it was complementary. From that moment on, this place was wonderful. The breakfasts were excellent, the room was huge and the bed was so comfortable. Although we had the room in the front, right on Grote Square, we did not mind the noise because we used ear plugs (highly recommended). We enjoyed seeing the activity on the Square, and, in fact, were delighted when we woke up to a market set up on Saturday morning (not to be missed)! This place is a treasure and the best place to stay in Haarlem.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, try a room in the back. If you want to see what is going on in Grote Square, sta...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2013

The reviews we read prior to our trip were absolutely correct. We had a great room, comfy bed and nice bathroom. The winding steps up were a little challenging but even though we are in our 70's we didn't have any problems. Breakfast was wonderful, fresh squeezed OJ, muesli/yogurt, cheese, ham, croissant and some great healthy bread. Our last day she fixed our breakfast early so we could make our train. Wonderful place, they bent over backwards to please you. Absolutely recommend this place. Great place for shopping also.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 13 May 2013

The owner of this B&B was very attentive and made sure that our needs were met. He answered any questions that we had with expertise. We came on the craziest day ever because it was Queen's day and there was a carnival in the Grote Market square. He kindly provided ear plugs for us to help with the noise. Even though he had his hands full with many customers that night, we felt that he still attended to our wishes.
The restaurant serves delicious food and would highly recommend eating there. The staff is superb and very friendly.

Room Tip: Yes, Room #1 is facing the Grote Market. If you are a light sleeper, you might want to choose anoth...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Misterlanders, Owner at Bed and Breakfast L'Anders, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Dear Mr & Mme Perry,
We have to thank you 2 for all the nice sweet gifts you offered to us.
We really enjoyed your stay at our place.
I hope that you had a good time in Paris.
Maybe see you again, in Holland or in Canada, who knows ;)
Best regards.