“One of the most modern hotels I've been to”

Van der Valk Hotel Haarlem
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Haarlem
Birmingham, AL
“One of the most modern hotels I've been to”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

This hotel has a newer and older section. I stayed in the newer section and I feel like I might have been the first person to ever stay in my room. The rooms are very very modern with a comfortable bed. The bathroom is great, it has one of those overheard large rain showers. Overall I found the room excellent. The restaurant in the hotel is great, we had both dinner and breakfast there. The only downside I can find with this hotel is that it's a pretty long walk to get into Haarlem. The weather was really bad so I didn't try to walk anywhere from the hotel, but I really didn't see much that was within close walking distance.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

My husband and I picked this hotel because there was free parking. We came for two nights to hang out in Haarlem and Amsterdam. We were pleasantly surprised with the hotel. The reception staff were very friendly and gave us maps of the areas. They directed us to the bus station right outside the hotel property that took us into Haarlem in 11 minutes flat for 2 Euro each. The same bus also takes you to the train station, where you can get to Amsterdam very quickly. The room is very spacious with a comfortable bed, oversized chair, desk and ample place to put suitcases. The free WiFi is great. The bathroom is equipped with a shower and tub. There was also a balcony for each room. The breakfast is very accommodating to say the least. I haven't had that nice of a european breakfast in a very long time. We went to the hotel for a light dinner one night, but wasn't impressed. Skip it.
I had two concerns that kept me from giving Van der Valk Hotel 5 stars. First, the shower was not clean to my standards. There was evidence that the previous guest cleaned their razor out in the shower, leaving stubble behind. Also, it was a bit noisy outside our window, which faced a busy street. I usually don't notice such things, but I had a terrible cold, which kept me up most of the night. I could hear the traffic below and lots of loud talking. Despite these minor issues, I very much enjoyed our stay at Van der Valk Hotel and would absolutely come again.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the busy street.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
East Sussex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Excellent breakfast although the restaurant food is a bit overpriced.
Service is splendid.
We try to 'hit' a van Der Valk wherever we stay in Holland.
The only 'but' is the constant building work in ALL hotels we visit

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Calgary Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Second time staying here. There are two sections to this hotel. This time I was in the Main part of the Hotel on the side with the Reception and Dining areas. (They are renovating the other part.) The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. Beautifully decorated. The staff are helpful and friendly and even allowed me to use up all of my Euro change to pay my hotel bill. The breakfast buffet is always excellent at the Valk.

Excellent access to the bus platform to downtown Haarlam and straight to the train station for a 20 minute train to Amsterdam.

Haarlam itself is a very pretty town with interesting things to see (St Bavo;s church, Hals museum etc)

Room Tip: If you can try to get a room that faces away from the highway and gas station. There was some very...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Milton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Don't let the distance from Schiphol Amsterdam airport put you off. A 20-30 mins bus ride straight from airport will take you directly to hotel. Very conveniently located in a quiet neighborhood and a comfortable and enjoyable walk along the canal to Haarlem downtown through interesting neighborhoods.
Clean rooms with one the most comfortable beds I have slept in a long time. Very helpful staff.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Close to the historic Haarlem town center. Good food and good sized rooms, breakfast is excellent. The Bathrooms are really smart but the room decor is somewhat miserable and the carpets are too dark and garish in the hallways.

WiFi was fine and did no air con in the room. The Hotel is however a building site at the moment but once done even though off a main road double glazing is efficient.

Room Tip: Check whats going on with the building work before you come
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Zeewolde, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Near Schiphol and the Zandvoort racetrack and close to the historic Haarlem town center. Very efficient operation. booking over their website is easy and simple. Good food, all night bar, good roomy rooms, breakfast is very complete. parking is okay. WiFi was free but slow.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the upper floors, quiteer.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haarlem
Carlton Square Hotel
Ambassador City Centre Hotel
Haarlem Hotelsuites
Haarlem Hotelsuites
#6 of 12 in Haarlem

Been to Van der Valk Hotel Haarlem? Share your experiences!