“If your room is at a fire escape ask to be moved or you won't get much sleep.”

Van der Valk Hotel Haarlem
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Haarlem
Scotland
“If your room is at a fire escape ask to be moved or you won't get much sleep.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2009

I stayed here for one night on business during May 2009. The hotel is huge. Entrance hall is pleasant with a pond in the lobby. Reception is on the first floor, I had to wait quite some time to check in even though I was the front of the queue. The hotel decor is very pleasant and the rooms are modern and funky, boutique hotel styled. The restaurant is large and impersonal and the waiting staff are very slow. There is also a bar but I wasn't in there.
My room was large and spacious with king size bed, desk, sofa, spacious ensuite with bath and separate shower. Unfortunately it was beside the fire escape which was one of the push bar ones and I was woken at least 4 times during the night by people going into the landing where the vending machine is - the machine makes a noise like a pelican crossing and it sounds all night long. I was on floor 5 where the gym is and there were often people waiting outside for classes to start so it was noisy and I didn't like there being strangers loitering outside my bedroom door.
The gym is small but there are also 2 exercise classrooms. The admission is an additional 7.50 euros to use, so I didn't give it a go.
Good breakfast buffet but the tables were, by 07:45, mostly dirty and the waiting staff weren't keeping on top of it.
Ample parking at the hotel. I believe there are good conference rooms but I had no reason to investigate.
I would stay at this hotel again but not if I had a room at a fire door or on the gym floor.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

I stayed in this hotel with an under 14 girls basketball team including around ten adults for 6 nights.The hotel was excellent ,very clean, the rooms were as big as any other hotel I used, the staff very helpfull, the breakfast top class. We used the bar and resturant which was reasonable and efficent. The service was a little slow but we must really learn to relax. We had a couple of great evenings in the very large swimming complex in the hotel grounds although not part of the Hotel you can book it at the reception (cheaper). I would reccomend this hotel to all, the only downside was there were no tea making facilities but after reading reviews before we went to Holland we brought a small electric kettle which did the job we got tea cups from the resturant . The location was great for visiting Haarlem not in a busy area but close enough to walk. Lastly we couldn't fault the reception staff whocouldn,t be helpfull enough also the resturant staff who fed us after closing time when our games ran late

• Liked — The big bedrooms and helpful staff
  • Disliked — No tea making facilities
  • Stayed July 2008
1 Thank BBallerDublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2008

This hotel is part of the Valk hotel chain, famous in the Netherlands as a hotel/restaurant chains.

This hotel is located in the south part of Haarlem. Public transport is nearby, but I cannot comment on its effectivity since I didn't use it during my stay.

Check-in was very slow; I think it took 5 minutes to get me checked in. Since their were two guest in front of me, the whole checkin took 15+ minutes.

Hotelroom is pretty spacious. We had a balcony which is shared with all the other rooms on that level. The windows had extra locks to make sure no one could enter your room from the balcony.
The bed wasn't that cosy ; I requested a king/queen bed type. Most Valk hotel only offer a 2 * 1 person bed pushed against each other. Not my idea of a king/queen bed.

Bathroom is pretty spacious with a separate shower and bath. The shower was pretty broken, causing a lot of water to run on the floor. The toilet was badly designed; if you have long legs, you will not be able to sit on the toilet. Most airlines even have more legroom...

Breakfast was ok. Nothing fancy, but it wasn't too expensive either (I think 12 EUR per person). Upon checkout I was surprised that the invoice was higher than agreed during booking. Apparently they add the 'city tax' later. Not very nice.

I had a party nearby, which why I choose this hotel to spend the night. For any other reason I wouldn't book this hotel. Price is pretty steep, location is so-so. You will be able to book a better hotel, or a better price.

• Liked — Free parking
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Salisbury, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2008

We stayed at the hotel as part of large group organised through Continental Car Tours - 48 people.

Check-in was quick and easy. We had a room on the lower ground floor, overlooking a public pool. Nice spacious rooms, and large bathroom. Our floor was wet when we got into the room, and we soon worked out why...the water pressure is so high that the shower tray fills up quicker than the drain can handle it so gocareful! Also the water is very hot and can scold you. There were no tea/coffee making faclities which i thought strange for a 4* hotel, but apart from that the rooms were good.

The bar tender was very rude and the drinks expensive. The hotel would not allow us to charge anything to the room, so make sure you have plenty of Euros - 15.90 for two gin and tonics, albeit generous measures! The food was good, and breakfast the same on each morning, but we only stayed two nights so not a problem. Not sure if it changes for weekday stays.

Lots of car parking and easy to get into Amsterdam - we took the bus (from outside hotel) number 300 to Haarlam Station and caught the train into Amsterdam central, The buses and trains run regularly and theservice cheap and reliable. Ate in the Come Back rest. in Amsterdam Sunday evening and that was really good. We tried to find a cashpoint as we had spent alot of euros in the hotel but the ones we came across were out of order and the Cash Shops would not allow us to draw money out on debit/credit cards or they we shut! We tried to pay for our meal in the rest. by card (as they had a mastercard/cirruss symbol on the door) but they did not want to take the card because of the bank charges - so take lots of euros, but beware of pick-pockets! Had alot of fun in Amsterdam taking in the views/culture(!) and overall had an enjoyable stay but having been and experienced Amsterdam, we wont be going back. Once was enough for us!!!

• Liked — spacious rooms
  • Disliked — the bar prices/attitude of bar tender
  • Stayed May 2008
Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2008

This hotel is part of the van der valk chain. Rooms are spacy; large bathrooms. I have stayed here several times. Prices about 85 euro per night excluding breakfast. Breakfast is pretty good, including champagne. Dinner is very good as well, but service very slow.
We also stayed in the jaccuzi suite once for 150 euro, a very large and good room with jaccuzi and waterbed, great!
Plenty of free parking. However you need a car to get here. Amsterdam center is about 27 kilometers from here.
And yes the hotel does have an american feel to it.

• Liked — Large rooms and large bathrooms
  • Disliked — There is nothing exciting within walking distance
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
Liskeard, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2007

My experience was a very good one, nothing like most reviews I've read here. Staff were attentive and helpful, the room ,although a little on the hot side in August and no A/C, was clean, well equipped and had a large, luxurious bathroom. The breakfasts were brilliant although service in the restaurant on the one evening I ate there was not good.
Not central to either Haarlem or Amsterdam but easy enough to get to either by bus.
Overall, not the 4* it claims to be but good value for money and a pleasant experience which I will repeat next time I go to Haarlem / Amsterdam.

• Liked — large rooms, excellet bathroom
  • Disliked — communal balconies and large sliding windows which create very hot interiors in summer
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank egregor50
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2007

In all fairness, I didn't select this hotel - it was part of a package deal. I would have never chosen this hotel because of the location. That being said, the rooms were the most "American/Western" I have seen in budget accommodations in Europe.

The good news:
- This hotel had a super nice bathtub, large bathroom, and a even a hair dryer.
- It was clean and had a nice patio accessible from the rooms.
- It had real TV channels - but shame on you if you are watching TV on vacation!

The bad news:
- The HUGE problem (at least for me) with this hotel was its location. It is NOT in Amsterdam ( I guess that is a given by its name). And, it is NOT in Haarlem either. I guess it technically has a Haarlem address, but it is NO WHERE near the town center. You have to take a bus, and there is a stop about one block from the hotel. Haarlem city center is a charming town and a nice break from Amsterdam crowds, etc - but I would suggest staying in town, not at this hotel. To top it off, the area of the hotel was shady - questionable - and there were no amenities close.
- Another BIG problem I had with this hotel is that they wouldn't exchange my US Travelers checks for EUROS and they didn't have a cash machine in the hotel, or anywhere nearby. Thankfully, I had enough EUROS to get myself to the train station where I was able to access a cash machine. Be aware of this situation.

Overall, I am a big fan of LOCATION. Given similar prices, I would take a good LOCATION over a more LUXURIOUS hotel any day. And given that, this hotel bombed for me.

• Liked — The American Style Rooms
  • Disliked — LOCATION!!!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CloudSwing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haarlem
Carlton Square Hotel
Ambassador City Centre Hotel
Haarlem Hotelsuites
Haarlem Hotelsuites
#6 of 12 in Haarlem

Been to Van der Valk Hotel Haarlem? Share your experiences!