“Small, modish place close to the centre”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Restaurant Ampersand - CLOSED

Restaurant Ampersand
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Haarlem, The Netherlands
“Small, modish place close to the centre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We went here on a hot Wednesday night on a social deal. Four courses for 17.50. I am never sure if it is fair ot judge a place on such a deal as you don't see the menu at its best but a pared down version. The food was nice but a little samey. We were given bread and I was surprised to see later that we were charged extra for it. We already knew that they didnt serve tap water and that you had to buy bottled water to drink with your wine. My starter and main were served with the same salad base and my partner's starter and main both had green beans and peppers as a constituent. My starter of beetroot carpaccio with cheese ( and salad) was nice and my partner pronounced the meat of her main course to be nice and juicy, though she would have liked some of the chips that other guests seemed to get but she didn't. We both had tomato soup which was ok but perhaps not the right choice given the weather, a cold soup might have been more apt. My main was tortillas filled with oriental vegetables and vegetarian 'chicken' cut up and served on a bed of mixed salad and which just didn't work. It just wasnt a restaurant dish. The waiter was efficient and friendly and asked if all was to our taste so I told him about the tortilla and suggested it might be better as a pancake roll/loempia and to be be fair he said he would pass my comments to the chef. We then finished with a chocolate cake, ice cream and cream. The wine list was short but we had a perfectly agreeable Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile. Most people were sitting outside and though our table was inside it had plenty of space though some of the others looked a little too close together for my liking. The restaurant has some promise but on this evidence has some work still to do.

• Visited July 2014