“Very Nice Hotel in Central Area”
Review of Stempels Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Haarlem
Stempels Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Haarlem
Orlando, FL
“Very Nice Hotel in Central Area”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights prior to a cruise from Amsterdam and were very happy. The staff were very pleasant and helpful upon checking in and throughout our visit and the room was good sized and quiet despite facing the street (double paned windows no doubt helped). Although it was just at the top of the stairs, we didn't hear noise from down below because of a double door "foyer" arrangement which effectively sealed off the main room itself from that area. Only drawback was that the doors were fairly substantial and hard to prop open, but all in all, a small price to pay for a restful night's sleep. Bed was very comfortable, room was air conditioned and had a computer with free internet. Location was about as central as you can get as it is right beside the St. Bavo Church and not far from the Grote Market. Although there is an underground parking facility nearby (De Appelaar), it was almost full when we arrived on a Sunday afternoon. Virtually empty the next morning, however. It does have an elevator that makes it easier to haul up luggage. Hotel is about a short block away. Later, we chose a fixed price dinner which was enjoyable with good service. Breakfast was self-service with a good selection and quality, but like most hotel breakfasts, it was a bit pricey. Popular bar downstairs and cafe with outside tables. Note: The street right outside the hotel shuts down to full vehicular access at 11:00am, so plan accordingly if you need to be collected by someone who does not have a pass to drop the bollards after that (local taxis do). Easiest location seemed to be at the entrance to the parking garage where there is a good pickup/drop off area. As we had been to Amsterdam before, we enjoyed Haarlem much more than Amsterdam as it is smaller, quieter, cleaner, and friendlier. Our stay at Stempels also made it more enjoyable. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: As we had substantial luggage for a cruise, we requested a room with elevator access (some rooms do...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gatorboyOrlando_FL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2012

A delightful hotel in the center of the pedestrian area of Haarlem, with very friendly and hospitable staff.

Large rooms, nicely furnished, clean and well kept.

The only disadvantage of this hotel's location - which is right in the heart of the marketplace, the restaurant and night-life area - is that rooms that face onto the street can be quite noisy late on Friday and Saturday night due to all the revelry taking place in the pedestrian mall below. I don't think this would be a problem anytime other than Friday and Saturday nights in the summertime - but, if you plan to stay here over a summer weekend, it would be a good idea to ask for an 'inside room' when making your reservation.

Rooms on the second floor of the hotel (inside or outside) will be quieter, because there will be less noise coming up the open stairwell from the restaurants and bars on the main floor.

All in all, though, an excellent hotel, with very gracious and hospitable staff. I would happily return.

Room Tip: On summer weekends, ask for an inside room (not looking out onto the street)
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank solotravellerCanada
Netherlands
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I was at the hotel for a two-day conference last October and also stayed there. The location is excellent, right on the town square in the old city centre, surrounded by restaurants, cafes and shops. It is a very charming boutique hotel, which is converted from an old printing facility where many old Dutch banknotes and stamps were printed - hence the name of the hotel.

I had a room on the top floor and my room and bathroom were super spacious, clean, modern and cosy. The bed was very comfortable. The room even had a desktop computer - I can't remember if there was complimentary internet on the computer but I think so.

We were in two different meeting rooms - the rooms were cosier than conventional meeting rooms, more like private dining rooms but equipped with meeting equipments.

The breakfast buffet was fairly small but sufficient and decent. We had lunch on one day in the hotel - the dining room was nice, albeit a little formal. Food-wise, the lunch was average.

I don't remember for sure but I think there isn't any elevator in the hotel. As my room was on the top floor, I had to climb quite some stairs to get there. Guests who are less mobile may want to double-check about the availability of elevators or request for rooms on lower floors before booking.

I would definitely recommend this charming hotel to anyone visiting Haarlem.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MochaAddict
hereford
Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights with work. All staff were extrememly helpful and friendly. Rooms were modern, clean and pleasant to stay in. Breakfast was good every morning. Location is central Haarlem so easy to get anywhere by foot, also on the town square so excellent location for sampling local caf's and bars. Would definitely recommend and intend to stay on my next visit to Haarlem

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank traveller722
Geneva, Illinois
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Charming hotel in the center of a charming town. Easy walking distance to everything in town including the train station. Staff went out of their way to be accommodating and everyone speaks English. The only improvement could have been with the breakfast. It is a small buffet and often one or more items were out and they were not replenished quickly. Loved having a pc and free internet in the room. The best bed ever!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gottogetther
lancashire england
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I reviewed this hotel in 2010, when I was there for a wedding. This time I was back to visit the same couple and their baby! The hotel was just as I remembered it, so everything I said in the last review still stands.
One good thing was I had booked a double room for two but I did mention in the email that I would be on my own for the first night - I only did this because of the local tourist tax which is pppn. When I got the bill they had charged me single occupancy for the first night - something a lot of hotels haven't done when I've been in this situation.
And this time I brought my own kettle!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wherever1
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Stempels April 2012

Stempels is a restaurant/brasserie in Haarlem which does a sideline in accomodation and has a bar attached on the end.

It is located inside a beautiful old building right on the central square of Haarlem where the Cathedral of St. Bavo is located. The bells chime often but are mild and un-instrusive, adding a pleasant background noise to the general ambience of the town.

Rooms are well presented and well kept, and most important the beds are super comfortable. I got a wonderful view of St Bavo Church.

If you book here I would recommend a half board option where you get breakfast and dinner included in the price of your room for a little extra.

The restaurant itself serves very good food, it is minimalist and luxurious and you can order a wine accompaniment for an extra €27.00 (not included in the hotel price). The food is excellent and the courses are well balanced with a good combination of flavours well matched with the wine.

Concierge service is excellent and I was contacted by mobile after I had mistakenly left my washbag in the bathroom after leaving.

Overall a highly recommended place to stay, the only negative thing I can think of was the occasional bang coming from downstairs which is understandable as they are running a busy Brasserie. No noise at all after 11pm until I was woken pleasantly by the Church bells around 9am. Best night's rest I had in all of Holland.

One thing I would add is that the bar gets very busy in the evening (perhaps busier for me as I was staying on a Friday night) so expect a lively crowd when you arrive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back for complete quiet, but the noise is only slight from the front rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo