“Great little town”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Haarlem

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
london
4 helpful votes
“Great little town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

Me and my boyfriend visited Haarlem for a short break and found what was a wonderful small town just on the edge of Northern Holland. Picture perfect town, with great cycling routes, markets for great food produce and friendly locals. If you are looking for night life the best place would be Amsterdam which is only a short train ride away. Haarlem is beautiful and well looked after and I will definitely visit the small town again. Things you must do is visit Grote Market and St Bravos Church and you must rent a bicycle to have a different experience of Haarlem.

1 Thank Nadia006
Chania Town, Greece
9 helpful votes
“Like a warm hug...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

Christmas 2009. I had just arrived in Holland to spend the Christmas with my girlfriend... I will try not to get affected by how everything amazing seems when I spend my time with her, and write aν objective review! As soon as I landed on Schiphol airport, in Amsterdam, I felt this European cultural atmosphere around me immedietly... Haarlem, is not even 20 minutes by car from Amsterdam, so it didn´t take us long to arrive! I couldn´t even imagine before what I was just starring at...

The city is wonderful!!! It is so friendly, you feel like it is hugging you all the time when you walk in the streets with the old tall well-preserved traditional buildings. Bikes everywhere, trees everywhere, shops to buy anything you can imagine, and the poeple so so friendly! Ready to be at your service any time... This is what I am telling everyone back here in Greece: I felt like everyone was working for me!

Haarlem is such a beautiful city... I normally wouldn't find any place to suggest for you to visit, since every corner has its own beauty. But every visitor has to pass through the Grote Markt (Big Market Square)! There you can see the old castle turned into the City Hall, the huge Protestant church of St Bavo and wonderful cafe's... The Grote Markt hasn't changed much from the older years of the Middle Ages, but yet you can see how modern it is, with the beautiful shops and so many people passing by! There are also some Museums there, but the most beautiful museum in Haarlem is the Teyler's Museum, which is located near Het Spaarne, the river of Haarlem! Unfortunately I had't enough time to visit it, but only to hear that it was the first museum of Holland makes you excited... Closing, I would like to suggest you a visit to the windmill "De Adriaan", which is a museum mill! There you can see it working and be guided to the main parts of the mill, see models of different kinds of mill and enjoy the wonderful view of Haarlem!

It is really a great city to visit, and I bet it is a wonderful city to live in... I can't wait to visit it again! And to get guided by my favorite guide... ;)(L) Ik hou van jou Essie!

(Sorry about my English mistakes)

2 Thank joyjohnnickname
Millsboro, Delaware
7 helpful votes
“Canal City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2009

We originally planned for Amsterdam but elected Haarlem necause of hotel availability. What a treat! The weekend was alive with festivals and canal events and the area was outstanding. Only 20 minutes from Amsterdam by train also gave us the ability to travel back and forth at out liesure. I think it was a more "Down Home" experience with more Holland activities than Amsterdam provided. People were much more Dutch than their "Big City" counterparts.

1 Thank KenOk
N Ireland
16 helpful votes
“Haarlem, a chilled out mini Amsterdam”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2008

I traveled to Haarlem in the Netherlands recently instead of my usual quarterly break to Amsterdam. It was a good decision and I was very very pleasantly surprised by the overall chilled out atmospere of the place and the low cost compared to Amsterdam. I stayed at the Hotel Carrillion in the main market square in the centre of the town and although it is a 2* hotel it was good value for money. Basic yet functional is how I would best describe it but compared to Amsterdam it was much cheaper. My only disappointment was that the noise from the market square after closing time was considerable but it didnt really detract from the overall experience. Haarlem has lots to offer with its great shopping, loads of restaurants and even the odd coffee shop for those who partake. I would highly recommend it as an alternative to its more expensive big sister Amsterdam

2 Thank Maggie L
The Villages, Florida
202 helpful votes
“Great town square”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2007

Vladimer one of the owners of Maes B&B recommended that a trip to Haarlem would be a good excursion. So off we went and of course he wasn't wrong. A very short train ride and there we were. A nice city, with a great town square. Not as many tourist as Amsterdam but lots of shops, restaurants and cafes. Well worth the trip.

1 Thank jonbarb

Been to Haarlem? Share your experiences!