“Good not great”

Spandershoeve
Ranked #3 of 143 Restaurants in Hilversum
Cuisines: Indonesian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: They used to have a michelin star.
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Had dinner there a few weeks ago. I had never had Indonesian food so my expectations were no doubt high. I found the food quite unexciting a mix between Thai, Malaysian and Indian but it lacked punch and overall sophistication. Maybe it was me not understanding or appreciating it but still this was my interpretation. I would probably not go back. Surprising to me that it has a star in Michelin. Compared to other South East Asian restaurants I have been to which do not have one like Farang in Helsinki this does not even come close. So this si the benchmark and compared to this it underdelivered.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

Spandershoeve has been known for being the only Indonesian restaurant with a Michelin star. Those days have been long gone. The place looks shabby and old, the service is a bit too nonchalant and sloppy for my taste. The dishes are mediocre or good enough at best. Being married to an Indonesian family and travelling Indonesia on several occasions I learned what Indonesian should taste like. And that is not what the toned-down for Western taste kitchen Spandershoeve makes. The prices however are still pretending the Michelin days are still not over. We've been here two times and left both times very disappointed. A lot of pretence but it's just isn't good enough. A lot of people are very enthousiastic about this place. Probably because the food is safe and not very outspoken.

4  Thank bnbass
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Really very good restaurant in the surprising location of Hilversum. The service was attentive and good without being overbearing, the venue very nice and, most importantly, the food was excellent. The dishes were well thought out, with fresh ingredients and imaginative recipes. Well worth a diversion to eat there,

1  Thank SamDubberley
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Went to Spandershoeve as we were near Hilversum and were looking for a decent riistafel. Were a bit worried as we didn't have any decent clothes (one of those trips) and this looked high end (everyone was out for Saturday night), but we were welcomed by the owner and treated royally. Had a good - not great (difference between 4 and 5 stars) riistafel and enjoyed our evening. There are some items I'd steer clear of if they weren't part of an integrated meal.

1  Thank BlueHenFlyer
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We visited in summer and were lucky to arrive early. There was only one other couple in the restaurant so we got a bit worried. The place was clean tables looked very welcoming with no stains on it (as i read in another review). The menu looked nice but we wanted to change 2 dishes. In holland this isn't easy but here it was dine with a smile. By the time out food arrived the place was already packed with locals and it stayed like that till we left.

The selection of wine was affordable and the food was amazing. We cleaned every single dish except for the rice because we just couldn't eat any more. The dessert luckily balanced out the meal thus ending a wonderful evening.

1  Thank Bartbaus