“Nice stay”

Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ijmuiden
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Amazing view, beautiful hotel, staff lovely, very clean rooms. Free Wifi in rooms & they store your luggage if your room isn't ready. Over an hour bus ride to Amsterdam but a quick little bus ride to Haarlem which is a cute little town. It's full of shops, parks, restaurants, grocery stores etc. We had a wonderful time in town. Very quit after 9/10pm. Nice stay but the only complaint I have is Housekeeping at this place. Check out is before noon & the cleaning lady was trying to come into my room at 10am <-- that's not right!!! Other than that I would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Maarten_M188596, General Manager at Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear sir, madam,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences on Tripadvisor.
With pleasure we have read your comments and compliments. Indeed, the city of Haarlem is very nice to visit and only a short drive from the hotel.

We will discuss your comments about our room-attendants.

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

I have little option but to stay here as it is close to where I need to be.
Room (316) was a good size, restaurant is OK.
The not so good parts are:
Room was cold and mastering the inadequate heating took a bit of skill. I was cold the first night. The room must have been designed for giants. The safe was on the top of the wardrobe so was useless as I could not reach inside. The bathroom was old with a cracked sink. The mirror and shower were far too high. The shower placement pointing out only means one thing - a wet floor.
There was no shower gel or shampoo available - surely a must for business travelers.
Internet access was nothing special and could not hold a video call. It tripped out many times.
This is a strange place that cannot seem to know if its a business hotel or a cheap beach hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Maarten_M188596, General Manager at Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear sir, madam,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback after your stay in our hotel.
This will give us the opportunity to improve our service and products in the near future.

We will discuss your remarks with our team and are looking forward meeting you again in our hotel.

Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

The Holiday Inn Seaport Beach is situated close to the DFDS ferry terminal overlooking the sea.

The reception area is high ceilinged light and airy, it leads off to the restaurant, lifts and is eqipped with a shoe polishing machine as well as the standard reception desk.

I was made welcome by Inge and Denise, check in was made easy and quick by the two very friendly and helpful receptionists, I was given all the information I required, I.e. how to get in and out of the secure parking area, wifi codes, when and where the restaurant was etc.etc.

My room was nice and clean, it had a balcony facing the sea, equipped with a very comfortable large king size bed, a TV, desk and sockets for computers, telephone chargers and AC. The bathroom again was clean and came with all the usual accoutrements and large soft towels.

Dinner: the restaurant is semi circular with the tables round the windows placed on a mezzanine deck, in the centre of the room there is a gas log fire where guests can sit and have a drink while they read free magazines or newspapers, very cosy, the menu is varied and has a good number of dishes, as usual when in Holland I plump for fish. I ordered Lemon Sole, it was beautifully cooked and sat on a bed of light mashed potatoes and spinich, I did not fancy any of the desserts, however I asked if I could have some vanilla ice cream, it was no problem and when it was served I was pleasantly surprised to see that the chef had decorated the dish with fruit, delicious.

Breakfast: was the standard affair, boiled and scambled egg, bacon, beans, etc. All nicely laid out and in addition there was a good selection of cold cuts and Dutch cheese.

Checkout: like in checking it was accomplished without any drama. All in all I ejoyed my sojourn and would recommend the hotel to anyone wishing to stay in Ijmuiden. It just remains to thank all the hotel pesonell for their help and kindness, good job, I'll be back ,

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Maarten_M188596, General Manager at Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for you kind feedback. It is a pleasure to read about your stay in our hotel.
I want to thank you also for the compliments to our individual employees at the front desk. I will pass your nice comments to them.

I hope to meet you personally during your next stay in our hotel!

With kind regards,

Maarten van Nigtevegt'
General manager

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. Check-in went smoothly. Our room was quite nice with a comfortable bed but not great pillows. The room was relatively quiet. This was my first time in Holland, I should've done a little more research on the location. The town of Ijmuiden is very industrial. Looking at the pictures of the hotel, marina, beach etc. it looked like a great spot. Unfortunately, there is a huge steel mill very close by and many industrial buildings. Perhaps in the summer when the weather is warm, you can overlook the industrial area and enjoy the beach/sea/wind. The hotel itself was fine but I wouldn't stay there again because of the location. We had appetizers and drinks in the restaurant when we arrived because our room wasn't ready. There were only a couple of other people in the restaurant so the service should've been great but it was very slow and I found the food to be expensive and mediocre at best. We didn't eat there again. I also found this Holiday Inn to not be up to the same standards as they are in Canada or the U.S. They could be a little more generous with their toiletries and the look of the hotel in general is a bit drab. We were very close to the bus line which was convenient for a day trip to Haarlem, which we loved. I'm glad we only had 3 nights in this location before we moved on to Amsterdam. One night would've been enough.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Maarten_M188596, Manager at Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear sir, madam,

Thank you for your feedback after your stay in our hotel.
We will discuss your remarks about the service with our restaurant staff.

Hotel management.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Rooms are so cold there is wind inside.
Staff and management is not good.
Food is not good.
Service is the inadequate.
I believe this is not a usual Holiday Inn quality hotel.
NOT SUGGESTED AT ALL!

We came here to attend a 4 seminar. The room was so cold that you could feel the wind inside! The hallways and the elevators are warmer than the room! When you call the hotel staff to check if the heater was broken they sent the waiter in the restaurant! The heater was stopping every 15 minutes by itself. The warmest air the heater was giving out was so cold that even the hotel staff who came to check the heater said: "it gives kind of an warm air! but this is it we are sorry. we have climate control! Then we believe we have different understanding of climates!" Me and my friend here would like to point out that this is a branch of an INTERNATIONAL CHAIN OF HOTELS.we have the right to expect to stay warm enough!
The water in the room was getting off balance and a bit colder when we were taking a shower. It did it every 2-3 mins by itself!
The seminar lasted long hours during our stay and when we came out of the seminar; we could not find any food. Even when the room service was open and we went to the restaurant they told us that we could not eat there only room service was open.
Moreover, the only food I could find was a frozen pizza at the room service and it had a HAIR in it! When I called to order a new one or to have it deducted from my bill: The room service said that they have to CHECK how much of the pizza was eaten!!!!
Also; the restaurant food was expensive. Almsot everything was OVER SALTY and generally never came as ordered. Once we went for a lunch there were 6 tables and 1 waiter. Everyone went to the counter to self order it. We even needed to get our own spoon for the soup.
When we wanted the hamburger and ordered it "very very very well done": inside it came in a form of pink mince!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Su S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Dear Su S,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the room temperature, customer service and food selection which was unacceptable. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 2 October 2013

stayed 5days in this HI during November 12, for a business trip.
Pros: friendly staff, warm bar/restaurant, large room, marina view, correct breakfast. free and fast internet
Cons: far from every thing, no amenities in the bathroom, no currency exchange office (has to drive to Harlem for that), room bit cold

Room Tip: marina view
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear DZtrotter,

Thank you for your feedback of our property. We strive to provide the best possible experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am glad to read you appreciate our staff service and rooms. However, I am sorry that on this day you found your stay to be less than satisfactory due to the amenities and hotel location. I have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable feedback as this is our best resource of improving our services.

Once again, thank you for posting your comments.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Recently used our reward points to stay here for 3 nights. Hotel and staff were excellent. Spacious, updated rooms. We had views of Marina and smoke stacks from our room. Breakfast and restaurant were both very good. Delicious Chinese Restaurant also next door to hotel. Lengthy trip by public transportation to city center of Amsterdam. Bus and boat ride combination shorter if transfers coordinate, otherwise longer. At least an hour by bus. Visited Village of Zaanse Shans, nearby on last day. If not centering visit on Amsterdam, it's a good value.

Room Tip: Request upper level room overlooking marina.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear sir, madam,

Many thanks for leaving your positive comments at Tripadvisor. It is always a pleasure to read that you also enjoyed our hotel, its location and the wonderful Chinese restaurant next door. It is also good that you mentioned the sightseeing possibillities like Amsterdam and Zaanse Schans. And indeed, it is not far from the hotel.

Thank you very much and we hope to meet you again in our hotel.

Maarten van Nigtevegt

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ijmuiden
3 mi away
Palace Hotel
#21 of 25 in Zandvoort
Van der Valk Hotel Akersloot / A9
PUUR ZEE Hotel Villa de Klughte

Been to Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach? Share your experiences!