“Nothing changes”

Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ijmuiden
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I have written reviews on this hotel before and looking at other reviews it appears that management do little to improve things.
The hotel overall is reasonably ok. Rooms are clean but basic. Heating in the rooms is problematic with little chance to change the temperature.
Breakfast is adequate at best.
My biggest gripe as a lone business traveller is the WiFi. This is just poor with little and sometimes no connection so trying to do anything is a long process.
Also for me the lack of shampoo means it is one of the only places i need to bring my own.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear derekm6,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your recent stay. We certainly regret we still fell short of your expectations. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and providing us a valuable feedback.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel with a bus tour of 48 people! The bedrooms were of a high standard and very clean! The reception staff were very friendly and helpful! Unfortunately the food was of a very poor standard with little or no choice! Breakfast every day consisted of boiled eggs and baked beans! I have travelled extensively through Europe and stayed at many Holiday Inn Hotels but I have never came across anything quite as bad as this! It has to be noted that this hotel has another dining room for guests so I can only assume that they have a proper menu! If you do not value your guests on the bus tours perhaps it would be better if you didn't cater for them at all! It is a real shame as it is a lovely hotel in a good location and very handy for all the attractions!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Heatherhoney28,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased to note that you liked our hotel location, clean and comfortable rooms as well as the friendly and helpful staff. Our hotel is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. It seems that we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel stay experience with regard to the quality of breakfast and bus tour services. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your comments has been forwarded to the hotel management and we are confident they will take necessary actions to improve our guest satisfaction.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 19 April 2014

The view from the hotel was beautiful. The place was quiet. I loved that.

The girl at the reception was very friendly.

The bus service (Bus 82) to the hotel was very convenient. The bus driver was kind and did me a favor by dropping me at the entrance of the hotel even if that was not where the bus stop was supposed to be.

There were a couple of problems. The hotel website was misleading. The Fast Flying Ferry mentioned on the website was no longer operational. It took me a few hours to find that out at the harbor. The warm food (mushrooms and eggs) was cold.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank C H
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Amazing view, beautiful hotel, staff lovely, very clean rooms. Free Wifi in rooms & they store your luggage if your room isn't ready. Over an hour bus ride to Amsterdam but a quick little bus ride to Haarlem which is a cute little town. It's full of shops, parks, restaurants, grocery stores etc. We had a wonderful time in town. Very quit after 9/10pm. Nice stay but the only complaint I have is Housekeeping at this place. Check out is before noon & the cleaning lady was trying to come into my room at 10am <-- that's not right!!! Other than that I would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Maarten_M188596, General Manager at Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear sir, madam,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences on Tripadvisor.
With pleasure we have read your comments and compliments. Indeed, the city of Haarlem is very nice to visit and only a short drive from the hotel.

We will discuss your comments about our room-attendants.

Maarten van Nigtevegt

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

I have little option but to stay here as it is close to where I need to be.
Room (316) was a good size, restaurant is OK.
The not so good parts are:
Room was cold and mastering the inadequate heating took a bit of skill. I was cold the first night. The room must have been designed for giants. The safe was on the top of the wardrobe so was useless as I could not reach inside. The bathroom was old with a cracked sink. The mirror and shower were far too high. The shower placement pointing out only means one thing - a wet floor.
There was no shower gel or shampoo available - surely a must for business travelers.
Internet access was nothing special and could not hold a video call. It tripped out many times.
This is a strange place that cannot seem to know if its a business hotel or a cheap beach hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Maarten_M188596, General Manager at Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear sir, madam,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback after your stay in our hotel.
This will give us the opportunity to improve our service and products in the near future.

We will discuss your remarks with our team and are looking forward meeting you again in our hotel.

Maarten van Nigtevegt

Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

The Holiday Inn Seaport Beach is situated close to the DFDS ferry terminal overlooking the sea.

The reception area is high ceilinged light and airy, it leads off to the restaurant, lifts and is eqipped with a shoe polishing machine as well as the standard reception desk.

I was made welcome by Inge and Denise, check in was made easy and quick by the two very friendly and helpful receptionists, I was given all the information I required, I.e. how to get in and out of the secure parking area, wifi codes, when and where the restaurant was etc.etc.

My room was nice and clean, it had a balcony facing the sea, equipped with a very comfortable large king size bed, a TV, desk and sockets for computers, telephone chargers and AC. The bathroom again was clean and came with all the usual accoutrements and large soft towels.

Dinner: the restaurant is semi circular with the tables round the windows placed on a mezzanine deck, in the centre of the room there is a gas log fire where guests can sit and have a drink while they read free magazines or newspapers, very cosy, the menu is varied and has a good number of dishes, as usual when in Holland I plump for fish. I ordered Lemon Sole, it was beautifully cooked and sat on a bed of light mashed potatoes and spinich, I did not fancy any of the desserts, however I asked if I could have some vanilla ice cream, it was no problem and when it was served I was pleasantly surprised to see that the chef had decorated the dish with fruit, delicious.

Breakfast: was the standard affair, boiled and scambled egg, bacon, beans, etc. All nicely laid out and in addition there was a good selection of cold cuts and Dutch cheese.

Checkout: like in checking it was accomplished without any drama. All in all I ejoyed my sojourn and would recommend the hotel to anyone wishing to stay in Ijmuiden. It just remains to thank all the hotel pesonell for their help and kindness, good job, I'll be back ,

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Maarten_M188596, General Manager at Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for you kind feedback. It is a pleasure to read about your stay in our hotel.
I want to thank you also for the compliments to our individual employees at the front desk. I will pass your nice comments to them.

I hope to meet you personally during your next stay in our hotel!

With kind regards,

Maarten van Nigtevegt'
General manager

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. Check-in went smoothly. Our room was quite nice with a comfortable bed but not great pillows. The room was relatively quiet. This was my first time in Holland, I should've done a little more research on the location. The town of Ijmuiden is very industrial. Looking at the pictures of the hotel, marina, beach etc. it looked like a great spot. Unfortunately, there is a huge steel mill very close by and many industrial buildings. Perhaps in the summer when the weather is warm, you can overlook the industrial area and enjoy the beach/sea/wind. The hotel itself was fine but I wouldn't stay there again because of the location. We had appetizers and drinks in the restaurant when we arrived because our room wasn't ready. There were only a couple of other people in the restaurant so the service should've been great but it was very slow and I found the food to be expensive and mediocre at best. We didn't eat there again. I also found this Holiday Inn to not be up to the same standards as they are in Canada or the U.S. They could be a little more generous with their toiletries and the look of the hotel in general is a bit drab. We were very close to the bus line which was convenient for a day trip to Haarlem, which we loved. I'm glad we only had 3 nights in this location before we moved on to Amsterdam. One night would've been enough.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Maarten_M188596, Manager at Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear sir, madam,

Thank you for your feedback after your stay in our hotel.
We will discuss your remarks about the service with our restaurant staff.

Hotel management.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ijmuiden
NH Zandvoort
Augusta Hotel
#2 of 3 in Ijmuiden
Radisson Blu Palace Hotel, Noordwijk Aan Zee
Hotel Van Oranje, Autograph Collection

Been to Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach? Share your experiences!