“Good centrally located option”
Review of Hanze Hotel Zwolle

and 1 more site!
Hanze Hotel Zwolle
Ranked #3 of 14 Zwolle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the MotoGP in assen (about 40 mins ride). Bang in the middle of town and hence can be noisy with drinkers and diners. However, don't let that put you off. Friendly staff, good breakfasts. Rooms can be small but that is no surprise given the age and location.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hanze Hotel Zwolle

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed for 5 nights for business reasons. As soon as I arrived, the entrance door was hidden behind a pile of rubbish. I did not even figure out that was my hotel at first sight.
The hotel lacks an elevator, so somebody had to take my bag and bring it upstairs to my room that was located on third floor. Going up and down 3 floors several times a day was unpleasant, expecially since I always carried my handbag and computer. Moreover the stairs were not well illuminated and small sized. Almost impossible for an elder person or for anybody with some difficulties in moving to climb those stairs several times per day.
On my arrival there was nobody at the reception desk, just a guy who worked as a waiter in the restaurant at the lower floor. He could not provide me with information on where to rent a bike so I had to wait for the next day.
The room was small and 3 flies were happily floating around it. As soon as I entered the room, there was hair in the bathroom on the lavatory and dust over all the surfaces. Even the bed linens were not clean. The shoer doors were not closing properly so water would come out and invade the bathroom floor.
There were no lights near the bed, so no way to read at night except by using light in the middle of the room which was very low and unconfortable to turn off since you would have to stand up from the bed. The room decorations were very poor, for example there was a mirror which from some reason was hanging too high on the wall. I was able to see only my face inside it (I would be able to see also my chest, maybe, if I were 1.80mt tall).
The corridors are small and narrow, so I could hear basically everything that was happening out of my door.
Given the poor cleaning, the bad quality of the room and the total lack of complementary services, I think the hotel is not worth 95 euros per night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is in the heart of Zwolle and I was there on a glorious May evening with the sun shining on the terrace of the Hotel's Tapas restaurant. The place was rocking and it was a Monday night. The food in the bar was excellent as was the service from the waiting staff. If you are on business and need parking then you have to park in the Q-Park car park 30 metres away and it will cost you €16.00 overninght

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Hanze Hotel Zwolle is a simple hotel right in the middle of the old town of Zwolle. When visiting Zwolle in March, this was just the right hotel for us. Please ask for a corner superior room. With two windows, the room will feel a bit bigger. The service was very friendly and we loved eating breakfast downstairs in the mornings. There are restaurants and bars everywhere in the old town and the short walk back to our hotel was a big plus!
During the summer, I guess lack of air condition and the lively square outside will perhaps make this hotel not such a good option.

Room Tip: Superior corner room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

It's in the middle of town, so getting into the Pedestrian Zone can be tricky even on motorcycles.

The Saturday Market is noisy - We loved it.

Saturday evening the Fire Alarm in the Kitchen went off, but kinda funny.

Saturday night got a bit noisy as people came out of the nearby bars & clubs.

I'd stay there again, but my missus thought it was too loud at night and felt the room could have been bigger/better/other.

Room Tip: Get one facing the canal, it's quieter than those facing the market
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We chose the Hanze Hotel on the Rode Torenplein because it is 50 metres from our friend's wedding reception. A good choice on two counts. (1) We had no trouble finding our bed. (2) I have a new theory to prove.
My new theory: old Hansa towns are great places for a party. The Hanseatic League was started in 1159 and reached its height in the 15th century. Hansa towns have old narrow streets, historic old buildings and squares with open-air markets. This is Zwolle, to this day filled with colourful, fun-loving independent characters. This is the spirit of the Hanze Hotel. It is independent and belongs to no hotel chain. It is genuine. The breakfast room had a genuine fresh rose on the table. The food was fresh, purchased from the market outside. It was a special place to stay, the old town of Zwolle and its old hotel.
Ah yes, the wedding. Bride in white, with white umbrella. Arrived by boat (Zwolle is surrounded by a formidable moat). A colourful procession, led by a band, through the oldest past of town to the Stadhuis (town hall). Very emotional family, tears of happiness. Another procession to the reception. Party till midnight.
One thing to bear in mind. If you want a quiet, monastic experience then do what the monks did, go outside the town. Thomas à Kempis, a notable medieval monk, lived most of his life nearby.
I am now researching my theory – seeking the next Hansa town and the next party. There is a wide choice, from Novgorod in Russia to Bruges in Belgium.

Room Tip: Remember, in medieval Europe there were no lifts.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Redfredc
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We were really surprised with this 2 star hotel. It is very clean. The rooms are very cosy. The breakfast is good and the owner is very kind. It is in the center of this beautiful town. We were very satisfied.

Room Tip: the best rooms are those in the upper floor
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family