“Great Location but terrible customer service”

Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Amersfoort
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Besides the Hotel being in a convenient place and has good amenities, I am struggling to write other positive things about this hotel from the experience I recently had with them.

I returned for the second time on leisure after being impressed with it on a prior stay when I was there for business.

At the time of booking, I requested for a wheelchair friendly room for my disabled mother. This, coupled with the fact it was her birthday weekend, I asked for a nice room. Arrived there and there was no more available Privilege Room (Background: I am a Le Club Accor Gold and am entitled to a free upgrade, subject to availability) Not being upgraded is ok with me as it was the King's Day weekend so I can imagine hotels are full.

They showed me an Executive Suite and told me it was an additional Euros 90. I declined and that was that. I certainly didn't expect a free upgrade from them. However, when I logged online, I found if I were to upgrade, it would have cost just an additional Euros 60. Why did they quote me another additional Euros 30? I just thought maybe their booking system is different to the one online and left it at that.

The one that irked me was when my disabled parent requested for late check out at 1600 and they agreed to it. Quite by chance, I happened to be at the lobby at noon and it was then transpired that they were going to charge me for late check out. I explained that my disabled parent needed more time to get ready and that my Le Club Accor Gold had a free late check out option, subject to availability. I explained to him that I doubt about leaving so late at 1600 but we asked for it just in case my disabled parent needed more time to rest. I suggested checking out at 1400, which he still insisted on charging me. After to and fro-ing, he agreed to a 1400 check out without charge. But that already left a bitter taste in the mouth and dampened the mood on my disabled parent's birthday weekend. Perhaps he thought I was not telling the truth about my parent being disabled but he did see us going off with the wheelchair.

My gripe is not about the lack of recognition about Le Club Accor elite status in terms of upgrade and request for a late check out. I can understand that and for the record, I never ask for late check out at other Accor Properties (always checking out early for business meetings) unless I absolutely need to.

It is about the staff's attitude and lack of compassion to those who are physically challenged. Those one or two extra hours means a lot to disabled patrons so I hope the General Manager will be able to address this issue with his staff. I am thinking of returning later this year to the hotel for business but I shall await the response from the General Manager before I make a decision.

Also, my points and my 'check in' at Places by Le Club has not been updated and verified. I travelled through five hotels during that period and the other hotel stay points have been credited. I was in Bangkok last week and within 36 hours, everything was credited. Perhaps the General Manager/Owner could highlight the Le Club Accor program to his team.

I would have rated this five star as I have no other complaints re location, rooms, sleep quality etc. But the experience with customer service at check out was really unpleasant and unfortunately that was all we remembered.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Martin L, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Lynn O.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our hotel. We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow us to express our sincerest apologies.

Let us start by saying that your Le Club points via an incheck at 'Places by Le Club' are not added by an individual hotel but done centrally by our colleagues in Paris. We have send them a request to update your points.
We can only hope this will happen soonest.

And you are wright, you booked a Superior room and if there would have been availability, you would have had an upgrade to a Privilege Room. But our hotel was almost fully booked and a complimentary upgrade to a Privilege Room was not possible. We wished it was different.
Our staff then informed you about one of the few rooms still available. That was the Executive or Presidential Suite. Indeed the upgrade costs from a Superior room to this type of Suite are 90 euros. Maybe, you may have read on the internet the upgrade costs to a Junior Suite.

Based on your gold Le Club card you should have had the free late check out. I am happy to read our staff granted your request. Naturally, if there was availability, it should have been done without discussion. Please accept our apologies for this mistake. Please rest assured that we haven taken the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.
A next visit you will notice so!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Just got back from a trip to Holland to see the bulb fields and gardens, had a very pleasant stay here. the staff are really lovely, kind and helpful, and the rooms are so comfortable, great bathroom, spotless beds and rooms. just a wee bit dark but I guess very modern. Breakfast was good, and I am sorry to say I saw a member of our coach party stealing from the breakfast, not only food but coffee and cups, I can only say how sorry I was to see this, it gives a very bad impression of English people. I did mention it to our driver. I think he dealt with it .
The overall stay was great. it is so easy to get into the centre of the beautiful town and had lots of lovely food to eat there. What a very pretty place Amerfoort is and wonderful kind and friendly Dutch people.

Room Tip: So easy to get around from this hotel, the railway station is close by and you can be in The Haige u...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Martin L, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear citychick-11

We are very pleased to read your 'great' compliments about our staff and hotel. Thank you so much.
We are happy to have had you and your group as our guests. Please come again!
We hope the driver enjoyed the bread to go. No worries about this. All that matters is that you were brought home safely.
Thank you all for staying with us.

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Very convenient to the Centraal station in Amersfoort. Walking takes about 10 minutes. (Bring your umbrella - it's The Netherlands after all!) The hotel is in a building with lots if amenities - restaurant with any type of food you could want, Dirk grocery store, fitness center, and a decent bar in the hotel. Rooms are nicely appointed. I stayed in April 2014 and the hotel was relatively new. Very comfortable.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Martin L, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear Kingjaners,

Indeed good to mention once: the amenities of the building of the hotel. But more important is that you had a very comfortable stay with us.
Thank you for your nice review.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Perfect room with confortable bed, huge tv, nice bathroom, only towels do not fit with overall quality, were very harsh. Staff was ok spoke good english. There was no room service menu on my room, neither the "do not disturb sign" as a result i was waken up by the cleaning lady at 7 a.m.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Hello Paloma,

Thank you for writing our rooms are perfect and fancy. Please come again!
And when you come, please always approach our receptionists if there's something missing in the room. Or not to your liking. We want your whole visit to be perfect! And we love to solve possible shortcomings or defects during your (next) stay.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Just back from five nights staying in Amersfoort. Very pleasant town, market squares, lots of bars and restaurants. Well located for Amsterdam, thirty minutes by train, and the Keukenhof bulb fields, stunning place 50 minutes drive away.
The hotel was very comfortable, staff were friendly and attentive, overall very good. Lots of parking, although the signs to get into the car park could be greatly improved (the entrance is round the back, the same entrance as the Burger King drive-thru. Park in level -1, there is a door from there straight into the hotel reception). Overall, a very pleasant few days.
The entries below ref fitness centre and swimming pool should be blank but this site would not allow me to correct my error in completing them.

Room Tip: Standard room was perfectly adequate. Although the hotel is on a roundabout, there was no traffic no...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Robert S.

Thank your for your high rating. We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is a very nice hotel and the staff were very friendly and helpful. I give it a 1 star rating because as a Business traveler my schedule changes often. I recently stayed at the Mecure for 4 weeks. I had reserved a room for 5 weeks but completed my business there early. I gave the front desk notice 2 weeks before my final day that I would be checking out one week early. When I went to check out I find out that I'm being charged 50 percent of the cost of my room for the 7 days I didn't stay in the hotel. This is they're "Policy" for checking out early. They're are other hotels in the area like the Royal Parc Hilton that do not charge this penalty for checking out early.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Tex19672000
Martin L, Eigenaar at Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Lawrence Weiner, why do you write this on TRIPADVISOR, without mentioning that you made a res for 5 weeks and decided to depart two weeks earlier although the rate was based on a 5 weeks stay? Why don't you mention that I returned you the entire early-departure charge? I appreciate your comments but I do not understand your behaviour in this as you agreed to my proposal in refunding you. You wrote me back: Thank you and I do accept this offer. It is the right thing to do. And I refunded you as I promised. Why don't you write this as well?
Regards,
Martin Lindelauf
Deal is a deal!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Martin L, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amersfoort Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014