“Small but smart”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Utrecht
Van Dijk Apartments
Cambridge
“Small but smart”
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

Prompt, friendly communication from the owners and a smart, clean but very small app't in Central Utrecht. Don't be fooled, this really will feel a squeeze if you need much space - this is definitely for a single traveler or very close couples only.

Given major construction around the area, which of course is not the owners fault, it was also difficult to get to by car and the noise starts right outside at 7.00 am. You won't be getting any sleep after then while these works are going on.

Being there on business with a colleague, the above 2 things made the whole experience more demanding than was welcome.

In fairness, the owners offer 50% off the 1st night of any subsequent stay, but it would have been fairer to make guests aware of the sheer scale of the works beforehand and make the offer for that stay.

I'll need to repeat the trip alone in 12m, but would only book again if the construction is finished, though sadly this looked unlikely. Also, not being able to pay by CC is hassle, but may not be for all.

We stayed Mon-Thursday so the noise of major construction might not be an issue at weekends.

Oh, and the nearest restaurant (Kueken?) is a very short walk away and really excellent.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Kyiv, null, Ukraine
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Apartments is small but functional. Has everything you need for a short stay. I agree with the above - the water flow in the shower works disgusting! The apartment is on the corner of two dusty streets - next is big build! High audibility - noisy and stuffy! No air-con! A lot of drug addicts in the street next to the house! The apartment is as far from the center also! A lot of drug addicts in the street next to the house! They knocked on the my door. I did not felt safty in this small aquarium. Next day I phoned the owner that I was not comfortable here, and I'll be to move out. But they do not refund me the money for 3 days!!! They promised to send me later, but still nothing! I think that is not justified by the ratio of price - quality. I strongly not recommend this appartments to stay in Utrecht.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2012

The apartment I stayed in is a converted shop front. There is enough space in the living room/kitchen but the bedroom is cramped, having just enough space for two small-width singles and a tiny gap between them. The bathroom is small but workable; my only problem being that the shower drain was 90% blocked, leading to flooding.

The bedroom also has a TV and a closet with adequate space. One wall in the bedroom is quite scruffy and needs a good clean.

I stayed on my own and for just two nights, so the space was adequate.

It was well, if sparsely, furnished. The living room had a sofa and table and chair set. There was also a TV but the batteries in the remote were dead. Against a far wall were a half-size fridge and a cooktop stove as well as a barely adequate supply of crockery.

Because I stayed in summer, it was noticeable that no windows opened and the situation was saved only by the presence of an air-conditioner in the living room which managed to put sufficient cool air into the bedroom as well.

Location is good, being on the fringes of the inner city, about a 15 minute walk out. There are a couple of pubs and a good shopping street nearby.

Cost was good at 60 euros per night but there is an additional fee of 30 euros for cleaning up after you depart, payable up front. I thought this cost was around 3 times more than it should have been. There was a notice in the apartment asking that you clean up after yourself, so if you comply then the "cleaning fee" is something of a "gotcha".

The property is run by a small company and accepts only cash. This suited me fine but obviously would not suit everyone.

Would I stay there again? On balance, I would because it is, after all, an apartment selling at about half what others would cost.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 11 February 2011

Bedroom is really tiny, you can not walk between two single beds. No lock on bathroom door, heating turned off mid evening and no way to turn it on. For the price poor value. Owners were helpful, but does not make up for general lack of standard amenities.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Utrecht hotels

Canada
Reviewed 29 January 2011

Bottom line: Great! Fairly central location with everything you need nearby, clean and new apartment, kitchen facilities, free internet + a cute balcony.
Only really minor problems like not enough dishes and a bit of street noise in the front room. Would stay again & definitely recommend.

In October 2010 my parents and me went to visit my brother who was going to school in Utrecht. It is really hard to find hotels in the area that sleep 3 people, or if you do find one it's often pretty pricey. Plus we wanted the convenience of being able to cook for ourselves. We found everything we needed at this apartment.

Pros
- Location! It was not right in the centre of town but it was perfect for our needs. It was only about a 15-20 minute walk right into the main centre of town, 20-25 minutes or so to the central station. And just a short walk away were many pubs, restaurants, & shops (including groceries)

- Clean and new - Sleeps 3 - 2 in twin beds in the bedroom. The 3rd person was on the futon in the living room. The futon was comfy enough, though it was a bit noisy to sleep in the front room due to the train.

- Kitchen facilities: stove top, microwave, fridge (no oven)

- Free wi-fi, reliable - Tastefully decorated in a very mod ikea kind of way. Pictures are representative

- Back patio - we didn't get to use it because it was too chilly but it would be great to have your morning coffee there

- Great big kitchen table

- Price for what you get is fair although the whole having to pay extra for linens thing is a bit weird to us

- Friendly owners - I didn't personally deal with them but my Dad said they were very friendly and helpful

- Door code made it easy for all of us to come and go as we pleased with no key

Cons
- Only 3 of every kitchen item! My brother came over for a lot of meals and there were 4 of us but then we only had 3 plates, 3 knives, etc. We made do but it would be good to have a few more dishes and utensils

- The noise from the nearby train is a bit loud in the front room if you're trying to sleep on the futon, it didn't really bother us though. It was super quiet in the bedroom if the door was shut.

- No bathroom towel rack - we were always hanging our towels on doors or piling the on the little table in the bathroom - kind of annoying. The bathroom was really cramped and inconvenient to get ready in due to lack of counter space, storage, etc. The shower was nice.

And it's not really a con, but if you don't know your way around I would suggest maybe a cab to get their the first time. My parents arrived before me and walked and apparently had a bit of trouble finding it.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank Ashley_j_s
Muenster, Germany
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Although booked 3 months ahead, the first 2 days of our reservation were booked to another party. As a result we stayed at Bizzflats Baron d'Hanis in Antwerp for the first 3 days and loved it. Wish we had stayed the full week there! Anyway, the furniture is very uncomfortable, very small rooms, minimal cooking utensils, tiny bathroom sink with shelf mounted so you cannot easily shave or brush teeth. The nearby railroad tracks posed little noise problem for us since we kept the windows closed in November. HOWEVER, you will hear constant traffic on the indoor stairway that services the apartments on the other floors that runs above the bathroom and alongside the living room. After we had arrived, we had to make arrangements to be at the room to pay for it, so we could go nowhere for a while. When the person showed up to collect the money, he stayed to restock laundered items in some locked compartments. Oh, which reminds me there is only one closet space in the whole apartment. Stains on walls, needs paint badly. If you plan on being here in the summer you will find there are no windows that open except a small one in the kitchen. Living room/kitchen door opens directly to busy sidewalk. Reading lamp over one of the beds had a broken neck and hung down over inches over head space and was easy to hit when getting up.

Overall I would highly recommend staying clear of this apartment.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple