“Great place”
Review of Carlton President

Carlton President
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Utrecht
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Quiet location, spotlessly clean, well decorated and equiped, lovely staff and beds to die for. The only bugbear was powdered milk in the bedrooms so I went and bought some green tea, otherwise I really cannot fault it.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a good room as all rooms seem well insulated from outside noise
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
CarltonUtrecht, Manager at Carlton President, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Dear fuglycat,

Thanks you very much for this great review. Super to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Carlton President.

Hope to see you soon back the hotel.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

We've just returned from a long weekend at the hotel and both agree what a gem of an hotel this is. there was nothing we could find fault with. From the excellent front of house staff, to the waiting staff and not forgetting the cleaners (the room was always imaculate when we returned). The beds were to die for! can't remember sleeping so well in an hotel. We ate our evening meals here too, the quality and presentation were first class. Above all it tasted GREAT!! Will definately recommend this hotel to friends. Well done to you all.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank raymond d

Dear Raymond,

Wauw! We are speachless reading your very kind review!

Always super to read that guests enjoy their stay at the Carlton President.

Hope that your next stay will be even more rememberable.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I only stayed at this hotel for 1 night, and I would go there again if I have to be in the neighbourhood. The hotel is not located in pretty surroundings; it's close to the highway, and there are no nice walks from the hotel. Having said that: in the rooms there was no noise from outside at all, in fact the rooms were very quiet, which is not often the case in hotels.

The breakfast buffet was fine; enough food to choose from: cooked breakfast, but also a variety of bread, cheese and meats.
I had a salad for lunch on my day of arrival which was nice, and the waitress didn't make me wait long for drinks or my meal.

On weekdays there is a shuttle service to the train station in Maarssen, just a few minutes away. From there you have easy connections to Utrecht or Amsterdam. There is also a bus service directly into Utrecht from the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank FerryV
CarltonUtrecht, Manager at Carlton President, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Dear FerryV,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this great review about our hotel.

Great to see you enjoyed your time at the Carlton President.

Next time you stay with us, I am very happy to show you around a very nice area nearby the hotel were you good take a nice walk.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Too late trying to book for Amsterdam and was left with 500€ rooms or out of town! This hotel is only 30mins away and has great rooms and sauna/hot tub facilities. Just off the highway but very well soundproofed. Nice bar, cheap parking and it also allowed us to visit Utrecht, which is definitely worth the trip!
No choice turned out to be the best choice!

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank TheRobertss

Dear TheRobertss,

What a pleasure to read your review on our hotel.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write the review and complimenting us.

Hope to see you soon at the Carlton President again.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

This hotel is disappointing in all respects. The rooms are ok (albeit a bit small), but that is about it. The restaurant was terrible - the food was poor and the service non-existent. Our waiter forgot to bring our drinks even though we reminded him 3 times.

It is just off the motorway and not close to anything else. It is a 4 mile taxi journey to the nearest town with some decent restaurants.

I would rate this hotel similar to a Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
CarltonUtrecht, Manager at Carlton President, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Dear Ianofsurrey,

First of all I would like to thank you for the time you took to review the Carlton President.

First of all my sincere apologies that your stay did not meet up to your expectation.

I have discussed your remarks concerning the service in the restaurant with my chef and restaurant manager. I can has assured you that all necessary steps are taken to improve and avoid this in the future. One of the steps is the introduction of our new FoodBook. A new way of presenting a better variety of great dishes to improve the quality of the food.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the shortcomings.

Thank you again for taking the time to write and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again to the Carlton President.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

I have just returned from four nights in the Carlton President where I and my group stayed having picked Utrecht as our centre for our trip. My outstanding memory will be of the high level of service from the staff on Reception to the Dining Room manager and all his staff and, indeed, the chamber maids. We met with intelligent and friendly responses to all our requests - someone is handpicking the staff for this hotel. Everywhere was very clean, the food is according to budget and was good value for the price. The house wine was very acceptable. The beds were truely comfortable and the temperature was well controlled. There are also very confortable armchairs in each room. The television receives BBC 1 and 2 as well as all the local channels. Curtains really do the job, or you can look out on to the garden and the traffic on the highway, but it is only a faint buzz through the double glazing. I couldn't bear the artificial milk in the bedrooms but the restaurant were happy to give me fresh milk each day to keep in the little fridge in the room. It's the little things like this that make all the difference. It is true you are not in the city centre (I suspect that would cost a lot more), but such a comfortable retreat to return to after a day out made up for that.

Room Tip: I was on the first floor and the rooms were nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
CarltonUtrecht, Manager at Carlton President, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear LinorainSummert,

What a pleasure to read your kind review.

We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Always great to see that our guests are enjoying our hospitality.

Hope to see you soon back at the Carlton President!

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Our stay at this hotel (last weekend) was brief but excellent. Location is great (right along A2 highway - but not at all noisy! - and near Utrecht city center), and we very much liked the rooms: tastefully decorated, spotlessly clean. 3 outstanding features: curtain really 'blacks out' the room, bed was very comfortable, and bathroom towels were huge and soft (very uncommon for 4-stars in Netherlands). Check-in and out were very efficient, and breakfast buffet variety and quality were adequate.

Would only make 2 remarks:
> the rate I was quoted when reserving by phone was EUR 114 (incl breakfast) for a Saturday night stay - good deal, but they then added a EUR 35 surcharge for our 3-year old daughter's roll-away bed. Not sure if this customary for this type of hotel, but we prefer the 'kids stay for free' principle, especially for babies/toddlers!
> my reservation confirmation promised an 'extensive American breakfast buffet'... as mentioned above, breakfast was perfectly ok, but I'd been looking forward to made-to-order omelets and pancakes, which were not available. To be fair, they did offer bacon, sausages and boiled eggs, which I guess complies at least partly with my definition of 'American breakfast'

Neither of these 2 slight disappointments were 'deal-breakers' by any means though, and I'd happily recommend this hotel and stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
CarltonUtrecht, Manager at Carlton President, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear Karsten72,

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate it.

Please contact (gm at president dot carlton dot nl) me so I can arrange the credit for the charge for the extra bed. It should not have been charged as kids stay for free in the room of the parents until the age of 4.

Very sorry about the confusion!

Thanks again for your compliments and I hope to see you soon again to make your stay an unforgettable one.