“Great Boutique Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Utrecht
Australia
“Great Boutique Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

This is hidden gem in Utrecht. After a long day of business meetings I look forward to a quiet retreat in this great boutique hotel.
Great staff right from the top ( Hotel Manager ) and Sales Manager ( Echo ) to the front desk up to the Shuttle service driver ( Paul ).
Room is fairly size with a great veranda.

Room Tip: You will never go wrong with President Carlton
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CarltonUtrecht, General Manager at Carlton President, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Dear sistema888,

Thank you very much for these kind words! It is really a pleasure to read your review.

I will pass on your compliments to my Sales Manager and the shuttle bus driver.

Hopefully we can meet in person next time you visit the Netherlands and hopefully our hotel.

Bart Blikman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Vledder, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

I stayed here during a business trip. The hotel has a free shuttle bus to office locations in the near vicinity, which is a very good service. Friendly staff, the rooms have a very good level of comfort and the restaurant offers nice dishes for dinner with a good price/quality. I was surprised about the good quality of the free WiFi connection. I have only one suggestion for the breakfast. Would be nice to offer a light breakfast (croissant, coffea, juice) instead of the pricy breakfast buffet.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
CarltonUtrecht, General Manager at Carlton President, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Dear Jaap,

Thank’s for taking the time to review us. We really appreciate it.

Nice to read that you used our complimentary shuttle service. We are really proud of this new service for our guests.

Brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

I was staying for business reasons (not a familiar situation for me) and only had the one night. I would have loved to see the city, but the hôtel is well away from the centre. The rooms are beautifully clean, well appointed and extremely comfortable. Alternative (English) pillows were provided in the room, and I slept like a log.
Restaurant prices were good, portions were satisfying, from what I had ("fish & chips" - a bit salty, but tasty) and from what I could see of my fellow diners' servings.
I only have one quibble, €7 for a beer in the bar seems a little dear. But then, I can't compare prices in the centre.
Staff - both FoH and restaurant - all very friendly, not pushy or clinging, good. Chatty, not too busy.
Might I ask one question about the breakfast coffee machine? How does black coffee become "café crème"? I thought I was being had for my total lack of Dutch, by a snide fellow guest. But he was right. Confused the Hell out of me. Damn good coffee, though. And had no milk in it.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear mr Bailey,

Thank you very much for this very kind review.

It is really great to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

Regarding the beer. We have different sizes of beer. The large pint is a bit more expensive the regular dutch size.

Next time you visit the hotel, let me know and I offer you a nice lager in the bar.

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

A very nice hotel located just on the border to Maarsden. The food is good, the rooms are all good sizes with balconies. The Hot tub, sauna and the gym was a great area to spend some time in. The bar was a nice place for borh food and drink

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CarltonUtrecht, General Manager at Carlton President, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear Ilisv,

Thank you very much for your review.

It’s always a pleasure to read that our distinguished guests enjoyed there stay with us.

Bunderhee, Niedersachsen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

A couple of times a year, I have to stay over for a project. Depending on the client, I do not always want the hassle of a city-center hotel. The Carlton President Hotel Utrecht is perfectly located 2 minutes from the highway between Amsterdam and Utrecht. Nice people, great rooms, perfect dinner. You must try the Club Sandwich bij the way. I strongly advise this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CarltonUtrecht, General Manager at Carlton President, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Dear mr Van Santen,

Thanks a lot for this very nice review.

I will pass on your compliments about the Club Sandwich to my chef.

Hope to see you back soon at the Carlton President.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occaisions and will try to avoid doing so in the future. The hotel rooms are pretty good for Utrecht but the general attitude of staff and both the food and running of the restaurant needs a lot of improvement. The hotel does nothing to make you feel welcome and a valued guest, more of an inconvenience. My latest meal in the restaurant resulted in me waiting at a table for nearly 20 mintes before the staff noticed me and asked if I wanted a drink. The starter came out half cold (clearly microwaved) and although this was mentioed the waitress dissmissed the comment and I still got charged for the food. Maybe the lack of close competition means this hotel does not try very hard to please it's guests and I will be avoiding this hotel for future business trips to Utrecht.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear mr Andrew D,

First of all I want to express my gratitude towards you for taking the time to write this review.

Thank you for the compliments on our rooms.

I am really sorry that you did not experienced our quality of service how it normally should be.

We always try to exceed the guests expectations. And I feel ashamed that we did not achieve it during you last stay.

As I did not get a remark during on of you earlier stays I can imagine, and I hope, it was a one off experience.

As we constantly train our staff I will also use this review during the next on the job training session.

Dear mr Andrew, I hope you reconsider to stay with us next time you visit Utrecht. I will personally make sure that it will be a stay you will enjoy for the full 100%.

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

Stayed here with my mum for 3 nights. An impressive hotel - very comfortable, clean room. I'd read some reviews before we went and was interested to see the comments on vegetarian meals. Fed up of feeling like a 2nd class citizen being offered an omelette I was pleased to see that a previous visitor had commented on the vege options and that the response was to offer a decent choice. My experience was the usual omelette and vege pie on the menu, but on asking the waiter if there was anything else he was extremely helpful and I opted for a pasta dish which was delicious. Having been a vegetarian all my life it would be nice to have an actual vegetarian section on the menu so you don't have to ask ..... and please just remove the boring omelette. Good food but too expensive - 2 main meals, 1/2 caraffe house wine and 2 coffees - 66 euros. My only other gripe is that on our return from floriade, I asked the receptionist if our table could be half an hour later as we got back a little later than anticipated (not our fault). Response was "no" as they had later sittings booked. So in the 20 mins we had we showered, changed and plonked ourselves at our table (with wet hair). The restaurant was by no means very busy. Could have been a bit more understanding. The outside area is lovely and sitting out in the evening with a cold beer lounging on the comfy settees - great. Just wanted to express these points because it really is a nice hotel and could be excellent. I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear TinkerbellEngland,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review on Tripadvisor.

I will check the front desk about the reservation schedule for the restaurant. Normally it should always be possible to change the dining time.

Great to see that you enjoyed the service and vegetarian meal in our restaurant.

Hopefully I can meet you personally next time you visit the Carlton President.