“Decent hotel in Utrecht but horrible free wifi”
Review of Park Plaza Utrecht

Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Utrecht
Wyncote, Pennsylvania, United States
“Decent hotel in Utrecht but horrible free wifi”
Reviewed 2 February 2013

The Park Plaza is a reasonable hotel a short walk from Utrecht Centraal Station. While it isn't obvious and the information desk at Centraal Station is little help, if you walk away from the station while on a platform, you will come to a tunnel that leads right to the hotel, and this is about 6-10 minutes shorter than going through the main station to get here.

The standard room is decent, although the desk chair is not too comfortable, request a room facing towards the front of the hotel, as I'm told that is quieter than those facing the station.

Breakfast is ok and not too expensive.

My only real issue is with the WiFi. It is free, but useless, with speeds and reliability that harken back to the 90’s. I ended up upgrading to the paid (€4.50/24hrs) WiFi, which was usable but only affects one device, so while I'm typing this on my iPad 4 and connection speeds are very decent, my iPhone logged into the same account is almost too slow to use.

I would definitely stay here again if only the WiFi speeds were improved for the free version, or if there were even a way to have the one paid account cover two devices.

The location is about a 10-minute walk to Centrum. I didn't mind that at all. I've also stayed at the Apollo Hotel, and found the Park Plaza to be nicer overall (and quieter).

Room Tip: Request a room facing the front, away from the station, single queen bed
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
ParkPlazaUtrecht, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Utrecht, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Dear gynmd,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor, this is much appreciated.

Concerning your comments about the Wi-Fi we do apologize, it is correct that the standard Wi-Fi is basic and gives everybody the opportunity to check email and use basic Internet, if you need more speed, you can indeed upgrade. If you return next time please contact the reception desk, we have login codes with more speed which also can be used on more devices.

On behalf of our entire staff here at Park Plaza Utrecht we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

+31 30 29 25 160

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Stayed here for four nights, chose it mainly because of its vicinity to the railway station.

There were not many choices in Utrecht, and I went back and forth between the NH and Plaza for a long time, since they are almost adjacent. Luckily, I chose the Plaza, it's way nicer than the NH.

But somehow I still feel robbed, even though I got a deal with buffet breakfast included (it would have cost 20 euros per person per day otherwise). The price per night was however not a steal, but since there was not much choice...

+ The staff was ok, breakfast was very good, roomservice worked fine. There was a complimentary robe and slippers in the room, but only one set of them.

+- The room was clean and spacious, but it was worn. With the fresh lobby and the facade, and the price I paid you would have expected more.

+- There was only one locker room for both men and women going to the sauna and the gym. It might get a bit weird for some people changing in a mixed company... that's probably why we had the sauna all to ourselves! The sauna in itself was great, it has a scenic window with a nice view especially at night.

- Otherwise an impressive exterior is stained by the wooden garden chairs and tables at the entrance. I think they are meant for smokers, but boy, are they an eye and an image sore!

- It's a very noisy hotel. On the other side the railway, on the other a huge crossing. Plus the air conditioning makes a sound, so pack your earplugs, in case you don't want the ones the hotel provides!

I'm kind of happy about the experience, but still I expected more, I guess because of the price. Holland is not a cheap country, maybe it's just that.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EvenJo
ParkPlazaUtrecht, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Utrecht, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Dear EV_2012,

We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for reviewing our Hotel on Tripadvisor.
This helps us to maintain the quality of our products and services.

Our Hotel is doing the utmost to keep our product up to date, so is the lobby area renovated 5 years ago, 40 Hotel rooms 2 years ago and last year we got a new floor in the Restaurant. At this moment we are investigating the possibility to renovate the last rooms this year.

Please feel free to always inform us when need for example an extra bathrobe, we are more than willing to assist you.

Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I stayed at Park Plaza Utrech a few months ago as the city of Amsterdam was full fue to some congress. I was positively surprised how easy it was to get there by train from the airport and the train connection to Ams was also very handy (aprox. 30min and oneway&return for 1 adult 14e).
City of Utrecht was larger than I thought, a lot of great shops and nice restaurants along the river. It´s not necessary to go as far as Ams for shopping and nice dinner.
Our first room was facing the trail tracks and to be honest you might need earplugs because of the noise, but what is great the earplugs are provided by the hotel!
Anyway we changed to another room next day and there was no noise problems after that.
Breakfast: I loved it! I have not seen as beautifull and high standard breakfast ever. It may not be the largest one with 150 choises but definetly everything you need!
Staff and the service in the reception is great! I will definetly be back if going in that area.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Niina H,

Thank you for all your positive comments I will share them with my staff.
Concerning the noise, the location of the hotel has lost of advantages, but unfortunately the city centre also bring some noise, our apology for the inconvenience this caused for you the first night.

Dear Niina, again thank you for filling out the Tripadvisor Review.

Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 January 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the park plaza for a week before finding an apartment to live in Utrecht for our exchange semester. Park plaza was great! The rooms were cleaned daily, the shower had good pressure, the t.v. channels were offered in english, the hotel had free wi-fi and the breakfast was incredible. We got a great deal at park plaza through eurobookings.com, i would recommend using their website to find a nice deal, instead of booking a room through park plazas website (as they charged more). The location is right next to the train station, which is great for arriving. If you are here to explore Utrecht, the small amazing city it is you will need to hire a bike for the day anyway, which can be done close to park plaza so do not worry about it not being DIRECTLY in the heart of the city. It is still a great location.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
ParkPlazaUtrecht, General Manager at Park Plaza Utrecht, responded to this review, 20 January 2013
Dear Ms. Tomasz2303,

Thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor!

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we are very pleased with your comments.
Please contact us directly (+31 30 2925200) next time when you find a rate somewhere else cheaper than we offer on our own website. On our website you always should have the best rate.
We hope that you enjoyed living in Utrecht and you are always welcome to visit us again!

Kind regards, Jenny Noz
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I spent 5 nights in this hotel and they stay was just about OK. Utretcht is a small town so the choice of hotels compared to neighboring Amsterdam is poor. The hotel by itself was very basic. This could pass for a budget hotel in any country in SE Asia. The property is very old and some renovation could help. I would probably look for a better hotel if I am going to visit Utrecht ever again.

Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank AjitMoses
Dear AjitMoses,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Park Plaza Utrecht.

We are very sorry that you expererienced the hotel as very basic and that you consider staying somewhere else. We apologize that we could not meet your expectations.
As your comments are from your stay early 2012 we hope that you will give us another chance and stay with us again. Please try one of our executive rooms the might meet your expectations better. Please contact me directly for any further information or reservations +31 30 2925200. AjitMoses, thanks again and we will be pleased to welcome you at Park Plaza Utrecht!

Kind regards, Jenny Noz
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Found the hotel right next to the train station - very useful.
All staff were capable and very friendly & welcoming. The room and other areas of the hotel were very neat and clean.
I particularly appreciated the coffee machine in the room.
Being a pan-European business traveller, found the internet connection (a pre-requisite for me) a little slow.
Didn't try the restaurant, but enjoyed the bar service, and breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dear OxonMan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your stay at Park Plaza Utrecht on Tripadvisor!
We are pleased to hear that you experienced the staff as very friendly and welcoming. We will share your comments with them as it will encourage them to continue.
We regret that you experienced the free internet as a little slow. It could be possible that it was an incident during your stay. We apologize for the inconvenience caused. Please be informed that we also provide at a small charge high speed internet. Good to hear that you enjoyed the bar and breakfast. We hope that next time you will visit our restaurant as well.

We look forward to welcome you again OxonMan.

Best regards, Jenny Noz
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Having stayed at both the Park Plaza and the NH next door, I've got to say that I clearly prefer this one. Its situated just around the corner from the train station and the city center can be reached within 3minutes by using the tunnel that's crossing under the rails.
Rooms are clean and I liked the bed and service. Because of the cold weather I asked for the sauna one night and it was heated up just for me. Its a rather small sauna, but it has a window overlooking Utrecht, which is quite nice. Sadly there is no relaxation area.
On my next trip to Utrecht I'll definitely try to get a room here again!

Room Tip: The hotel is quite popular so book ahead. On occasions I could not get a room on short notice (2 day...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
ParkPlazaUtrecht, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Utrecht, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Dear Frank Zapp,

We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your tripadvisor review.
This helps us to maintain the quality of our products and services.

You comments about the hotel are much appreciated.