“Quiet Sleep Close to Central Station”
Review of Park Plaza Utrecht

Park Plaza Utrecht
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Utrecht
Los Angeles, California
“Quiet Sleep Close to Central Station”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The best thing about this hotel is that it is close to Central Station. The rooms are reasonable in size and the bathrooms are modern. It is very quiet here at night even though the hotel is surrounded by tracks, roads and very busy bicycle paths. The hotel is situated in the middle of a huge construction site so the surrounding environment is problematic. There are no restaurants, shops or mini-markets within the immediate vicinity of the hotel. The walk to popular restaurants is approximately 15 minutes and is confusing due to the massive construction projects around Central Station. Finding the hotel can be difficult. Be sure to take the Jaarbeursplein exit from Central and then walk towards the mosque after which you will see the hotel on the right. Be aware that some of the staff at reception are inept at dealing with credit cards without both a chio and a pin. While ultimately being able to resolve the issue, it can be an annoying way to start your stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
SBroers, General Manager at Park Plaza Utrecht, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear ktw53721,

Great to hear that you appreciated our hotel.
Having credit card hassles when checking in is always annoying! So please trust that we used your review internally as an example emphasizing "that it's the small things that can make the difference".
Hope to see you back in Utrecht any time soon!

Shaun Broers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Comments by others suggest that the hotel is close to the railway station. It's close to the tracks, all right, but the extensive building works taking place to the station/shopping centre mean that it's not easy to get to the station. So, it may be better to leave one's stay until one can be certain that the building works are over - probably end of 2014. It should also be remembered that most of the tourist attractions of the city are the other side of the tracks and the shopping centre.

The rooms are of a reasonable size and are clean and well-serviced, but don't merit the title of "superior". They need to be updated somewhat, including the removal of baths and replacement by showers. (Good to have a fridge and safe, but does that make a room superior?)

The rooms can be obtained at a good rate, so I guess you get what you pay for.

The food is very limited. I am intrigued by the comments that items marked on the menu with a V are described as either vegetarian or can be prepared in a vegetarian manner. Does that apply to a "Meat Sandwich". A Caesar Salad with chicken had a V. Omelette and fish dishes are not vegetarian. C'mon people, be honest! I'm NOT a vegetarian, so I'm not on a crusade here.

Overall - no more than average....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Roger P,

Thanks for your feedback! We will use the information provided to enhance service and review our menu presentation.

Hope to welcome you back in the future!

Gelderland
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I had a business meeting at the top floor of Park Plaza Utrecht accompanied by a dinner. The Tunafish Carpaccio was fine. After this starter, the waiter took my plate away but left the cutlery and told me that I needed my used fork & knife for reuse with the next course. I thought that this practice using the same cutlery throughout the dinner vanished with the introduction of the dishwasher
The location is great, you shoul now how to enter it from the railway station.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
SBroers, General Manager at Park Plaza Utrecht, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Gelderlander,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel.
Of course, we were -unpleasantly- surprised to read that you were asked to re-use your cutlery.
Please accept our sincere apologies for this and trust that this is a "one-of" mistake and certainly no hotel policy.
We have used your review as a learning moment for all of us and it has been discussed in the departmental meetings.

Hopefully we can welcome you back soon to show your our true hospitality.

Shaun Broers

Travellers are raving about these Utrecht hotels

Port Moody, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My husband and I loved this hotel! We selected it based upon its location - within walking distance of the train station and attractions we were interested in seeing. I arrived at the hotel feeling unwell and was very relieved when they allowed us to check in 30 minutes early. I immediately lay down on the bed and it was one of the most comfortable I had experienced. The pillows were also really nice and we both slept very soundly. The room was very clean and had nice amenities and lots of soft towels. In the evening, we used the sauna and it had a nice view of the city at sunset. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Rebecca,

Thank you very much for the compliments and for spreading the word! Great to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay.
Hope to see you once back in Utrecht!

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

In summary: staff extremely helpful and friendly, all speaking very good English. Excellent customer service ethic. Rooms and hotel very clean, comfortable beds, excellent toiletries (Elemis is an expensive 'spa' brand from the UK, which was nicer than what I'd brought in my own bag), breakfast was very good (although not cheap), evening meals in the restaurant were freshly cooked, tasty, and good value.

The only negative point was that arriving by car is currently extremely awkward due to roadworks in the area (no noise from these though!). On the positive side, it is very close to the Central train Station and 10 minutes from the heart of Utrecht. Parking at the hotel is not free, but it is much cheaper than in the city itself.

This was my second attempt to stay at the Park Plaza in Utrecht! First time round I had accidentally booked for June instead of May, and only discovered this when trying to check in at 10pm on a Saturday night. Unfortunately the hotel was fully booked, but Michael, on the front desk, was sympathetic and incredibly helpful, and offered to ring round other hotels, gave us access to the wifi so I could look into other options, brought us a drink, etc. I was very impressed.

Once I got home, I looked into cancelling my reservation, but decided I'd rather just keep it: this was partly because I like Utrecht, but also because Michael had been so helpful, I felt the stay in the Park Plaza would be a great one.

As expected, our stay was lovely, and _all_ the staff we spoke to were all courteous and helpful. Our room was upgraded when we checked in, due to a small error that was again not the Park Plaza's fault (the booking company instructed the Park Plaza to cancel my booking after I had enquired if it was _possible_ to cancel or alter the booking). The hotel promptly reinstated my booking and upgraded us to a newly-refurbished room with a Nespresso machine and some nice bathrobes. Really impressive, again, making me happy we'd decided to come back.

Having slept late in the comfy beds, we arrived 10 minutes before breakfast ended - we were told the buffet would shut at 12 but that we were welcome to help ourselves to whatever we would want, and then relax and take our time eating, and that they would leave the coffee machine switched for a second cup of coffee after breakfast. A really nice touch. I am an expert in arriving late for breakfast, and have never been made to feel so welcome and relaxed :-)

When Michael checked me out he asked where I was going next. When I mentioned Amsterdam I was asked if I needed a city map for Amsterdam. Could anyone be more helpful? Thank you all for a great stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
SBroers, General Manager at Park Plaza Utrecht, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Justine,

Thank you very much for your warm words! Your experience in our hotel is exactly what we all are doing it for.
Also warm regards (and a big thank you) from Michael!
We are looking forward on welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This hotel being classified as 4 star is a very bug let down! It is extremely dated, the carpets on the floor are dirty, no milk with the tea and coffee facilities. Noisy as it is right on the train tracks. All in all for the price it is a big let down!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tamz79
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed in the hotel for 7 nights while visiting the Netherlands. The main reason for choosing the hotel was the central location, close to Utrecht Central Railway Station. The hotel is within an easy walk from the station, although station and area upgrade make it a little harder to get there. Considering the close distance to the railway, the noise is not too bad (my room had railway view).
Mattress and room temperature were ok, room decoration outdated, clean but simple bathroom. The room did not give the feel of a 4 star, but more of a 3 star hotel as a result of this.
Upon arrival I had to pay a deposit for the minibar, to find it empty in my room (with a note that it could be stocked by staff). I found this a bit annoying and unnecessary, as I already payed for my room from Australia in advance. Would have preferred that they informed me about this at check-in.
Although the location was convenient, I'm not sure if I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you do not want railway noise (although I think it's not that loud), ask for a room at the st...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo