“A fantastic hotel, highly recommended”
Review of Mary K Hotel

Mary K Hotel
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Utrecht
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two different weeks in March 2014 and it was so good I am moved to write a review. The hotel is in a lovely, picturesque location in the centre of Utrecht, canalside, but five minutes walk away from the busy part. My room for each stay faced onto the canal at the front and was lovely and quiet.

The hotel is beautifully designed and decorated with careful thought given to the comfort and style of each individual room. The beds are really comfortable and there are nice touches such as Marin and Goetz toiletries provided in each room, nespresso machines, kettles, etc. Breakfast was great.

What really makes this hotel outstanding is the staff - they were all amazing, so friendly and welcoming, but not over-bearing. They work very hard to make this hotel as special as it is - again, small touches that really make a difference, such as providing me with a small jug of milk in my room each day for my cup of tea (the Dutch seem to be put creamer in everything!) and a flower in a jug with a personal message on arrival, looking up train times, and so on.

I would suggest that anyone thinking of opening a boutique hotel or B&B carry out a research visit and by staying at the Mary K to see how they do it. I'm so glad I booked here for my visit to Utrecht rather than a big corporate hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Rachel C
There are newer reviews for Mary K Hotel

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Such a lovely little hotel with beautifully decorated rooms with individual touches and quirky features like a mini-easel, flowers and fun toiletries. Every detail has been thought of and it was real pleasure to stay here.

I stayed here on business (choosing it myself based on reviews here, instead of the 'business' chain hotels my company recommended) and it was brilliant with free wifi access and great train connections (only 10 min walk to the station). Location was also good for restaurants and shops (only 5 min from the main restaurant area)

Be warned that there's no lift and its a (beautiful) old town house with steep stairs if you're on the top floor with lots of luggage!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Ane2012
Reviewed 7 January 2014

After nearly 20 years of traveling to Utrecht I've finally found a place that more than goes out of its to make you feel at home and appreciated.
Stayed at nearly every hotel in this wonderful city and not a single one (including the snooty Karel V) has warm and welcoming atmosphere……enough about them.
The Mary K run by a wonderful young couple (with a baby on the way) and a very attentive staff has set the bar high in Utrecht.
They know your name when you walk in and every time they see you they stop, make eye contact and ask how thing are.
The rooms are all decorated with the individual touches of local artists and are kept to a very clean standard.
During my visit (8 days) I stayed in two different rooms on the ground floor. The room at the back has a semi-private garden and a hanging basket chair (great for couples xoxoxo). The room in the front is a bit larger and better suited to the business traveler.

For breakfast there are three choices that more than covers what you need to start your day, all ingredients are top notch.
On the weekends the cellar has a nice bar and entertainment in a historical yet hip and intimate atmosphere.
I highly recommend the Mary K

Room Tip: During my visit (8 days) I stayed in two different rooms on the ground floor. The room at the back h...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank HIYADON
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

From the very friendly welcome by Niels, to the personal message in my room, I can honestly say what a wonderful hotel this is.
My room called the bedstead was amazingly quirky! A super funky carpet and raised bed make the room very different and have a canal view too.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Duncan K
Reviewed 13 December 2013

That is a real boutique hotel. A few rooms, personalized service. Every room is different, with a lot of character. It is situated in a lovely and part of the city, right in front of the canal. About 10 min walk from the central station.

Great breakfast too! Will 100% be back next time I pass by Utrecht.

Room Tip: Can't really go wrong. Be aware that at least some rooms (incl #3) offer a fairly elevated bed w...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MtlD
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed at Mary K Hotel for three nights with work colleagues on our recent trip to Utrecht - we all talked about going back there just to stay at the hotel again :) Personal service, great breakfast and individual rooms - only nine in total I think, saw five of them and found them all very inviting and unusual. Quiet street by a canal near the historic centre in Utrecht, close to some wonderful restaurants. Would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Stayed in the Greenhouse and it had direct access to the garden!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My son and I stayed for 2 nights from 1 to 3 September 2013. We were booked into the Garden Room. The room had a very stylish contemporary design plus some interesting art work in the form of a mural on the wall (quite amusing but may scare the kids). The room was very comfortable and clean and there were some nice touches like a personal welcome note from the hotel plus free coffee from one of those hard to fathom coffee machines.

The bathroom facilities consisted of an en-suite wet room which was very modern and well equipped.

The staff at this hotel are extremely welcoming and very friendly/ helpful. The only very minor criticism I would have was that the breakfast options are a little basic (typical British comment when a fry up isn't available) and the cost a little steep. However there is a multitude of alternative eateries nearby so not really an issue. We would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: I can only vouch for the Garden Room which was very nice. Also for all you smokers out there this r...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family