“overal ok, but some big mistakes made during our stay”

Grand Hotel Karel V Utrecht
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Utrecht
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed in March 2014 for two nights at the Keizer Karel V hotel. The hotel is very nice, good located, parking was convenient, breakfast was very good, so is the brasserie and its terrace...
I would say it would be a perfect place if it wasn't for some mistakes they made.
I invited my mother there for a weekend. When making the booking I especially asked for a suite, so I could sit in the separate living area while my mother had some rest in the afternoons. I explicitly asked during the booking to have two separate beds, which they assured me was no issue.
When arriving in the room, there was only one big bed. After informing the reception, they indicated they wanted to add an other bed in the room, however... the suite is not THAT big and putting another bed would make it very uncomfortable. So finally, after insisting they did manage to make two small beds from the big bed. It was not really done with a lot of pleasure, I did not appreciate this attitude, as I made it clear at booking and I was promised it wouldn't be an issue.
In the evening we had some room service, food was really good.
When we went to sleep, my mother found her pillow too thick. I asked the reception if they had thinner pillows. I know the person at the reception did the best he could and really looked everywhere, but couldn't find a thin pillow. Maybe we are too spoiled, but I don't think a pillow menu or even thin pillow should be too much to ask at such a kind of hotel.
My mother got sick at night (nothing to do with the food) and made some stains on the undersheet. When leaving to visit Utrecht the next day, we clearly pulled off the sheets, so the stains would be well visible. When returning in the afternoon, we saw that housekeeping did not change the undersheet. I found this really unacceptable, as you could not have missed the stains. When calling the reception asking for houskeeping to change the sheets, they indicated we had to wait until 5pm as there was no housekeeping available at that time (I don't understand this is possible in a 5 star hotel). So again I had to insist and tell them that my mother couldn't wait for another 2 hours to get some rest.... it's not nice if you need to insist. One of the reasons why taking a suite in a 5 star hotel is to get some level of service. Finally at the end two persons from the reception came to change the sheets. But again after insisting.
I think it is really unacceptable for a 5 star hotel. You pay a high price for a nice room and good service, this is worth to me, however if you need to insist and staff makes you feel like what ever you are asking is too much you feel ripped off.... that's not why I go to a 5 star hotel. I do expect some level of service at an upscale place.
So although the hotel was nice, room was ok, food and roomservice fine, location magnificent, I would not return there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Keppebolletje

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed over Easter and had a room in the modern wing, which was rather bland and boring but very quiet, a definite plus. The porter put our bikes in the luggage room without any quibbles and offered to help us with our bags. Dinner was in the brasserie and was beautifully cooked and served, and the service was also good. However the best bit was the breakfast, which was served in a beautiful dining room, and had a first class selection - one of the best hotel breakfasts I have had (maybe there were extras because it was Easter but there was a very wide choice of fresh food). The service at breakfast was also very good. Worth staying just for the breakfast, and we got an Easter rate as well.
Overall the hotel is well located and reasonably priced, but the high rating is mainly due to the breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid the Roman wing if you want a room with character.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Very conveniently located with very friendly staff. Rooms are comfy, facilities are great. Food was also delicious. Wifi also reliable. Interesting old building to explore. Room is spacious. The style of the decor isn't really my style, but it's good considering that the style matches the old historical building (very classic look). Don't get me wrong, the hotel is modern, it's just that the furniture aren't particularly of my liking,

Room Tip: Pick a room in the main building (reception and dining hall are here). The hotel comprises of severa...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Rooms are nice and big in the main house or in the new building. Cellar bar is fine, bistro is not my choice, no athmo. Our bed had a worn out mattress, but beside that service was very helpful, nice breakfast and great location.

Room Tip: Main building has more to offer
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Been there for one night.
Me and the family has only excellent recommendations.
Location, atmosphere, service, rooms
Everything
I don't know if there are rooms with connecting doors, so check it
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The hotel is very nice and with a unique design and located in a quiet area very close to the beautiful Utrecht city center and many restaurants and shopping. Hotel is very old with simple over utilized furniture. The bed’s matrices are completely uncomfortable and annoying during sleep. Hotel’s staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The bed’s matrices are completely uncomfortable and annoying during sleep.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here a few times over the years. The hotel has a special character and style. I found the reception staff very informative, friendly and helpful. The morning shift concierge is a superb representation of the charm and individual character of the hotel.
The hotel's interior and the gardens are historically interesting and memorable, breaking the modern tradition of bland top class chain hotels.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business