“Relaxed grandeur with friendly service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel Karel V Utrecht

Grand Hotel Karel V Utrecht
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Utrecht
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Relaxed grandeur with friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed at the hotel for a weekend break - room was a very generous size and very comfortable. Overall decor of the hotel is classic, but feels a bit like a hospital in parts. However the grounds are very lush and spacious and the hotel is within easy walking distance of the city centre. The breakfast is definitely worth having, with high quality produce and excellent service. Staff were friendly and helpful throughout the stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Greek first
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

A lovely hotel set in spacious and quiet grounds and yet in the city centre. The rooms are a good size and well-equipped. But what stands out is the friendliness of the staff and the excellent service. I arrived after a minor accident at Schipol and my trousers were covered in blood. Amazingly, the night concierge manage to wash the blood out and he delivered the clean trousers for me in time for breakfast. All the staff were helpful. Breakfast was included and if you order from the menu is really good. Definitely a hotel to return to!

Room Tip: Rooms in the new block are spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Bracknell, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I had stayed at the hotel during a recent business trip to Utrecht, and i really enjoyed staying there for a couple of days. The location was nice (near to the train station), and the rooms were really spacious.
The breakfast was good, and the room service was also supportive. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: Avoid 4th room on the old block... The rain falling on the tin makes some noise... Its all right if...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Newbridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Hotel Karel V is a lovely hotel a stone's throw from the centre of Utrecht. Unfortunately I was on business and only stayed the one night but the hotel was clean, nicely decorated. The bathroom was of a high standard and the beds comfortable. The hotel bar was a big understocked (i.e. only had one brand of gin) but overall a fine place to stay. As I said, I only paid a flying visit, but it is a good hotel and I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

In general this hotel and it's stuff were very very good. Was very clean all the building (reception, breakfast area, rooms, garden etc). It had a very big and beautiful garden.
But, 3 things were not correct for my opinion. The major was that when we arrived and when we checked out the stuff in the reception didn't helped us to take our baggages and make us comfortable and then to discuss about the payment or anything else. A 5* hotel that costs quit lot of money, must first take our baggages and offer us a coffee, jus or water to relax and then do anything else. The 2nd is that the breakfast was very expensive and not so rich according it's price. The 3rd was that the people that worked in the breakfast area were not so speakable with the customers. They just did their job the best the can, but not say something to the customers, not be generous, not have a smile in their mouths. And of course they must learn NOT to take our plates before we finish our food, NOT take our coffees before we drink them at all, not bring the coffees almost always spilled on his plate.

Room Tip: the best was that when we came back in the evening, the curtains and the bed were ready at all every...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Waalre
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Wonderful location, high class hotel. On walking distance of shopping area and restaurants, really in teh center of Utrecht. The hotel has two evry good restaurants, one more or less informal (Brasserie Goeie Louisa) and a top class (Karel V). Really good food!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Leuven, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed in March 2014 for two nights at the Keizer Karel V hotel. The hotel is very nice, good located, parking was convenient, breakfast was very good, so is the brasserie and its terrace...
I would say it would be a perfect place if it wasn't for some mistakes they made.
I invited my mother there for a weekend. When making the booking I especially asked for a suite, so I could sit in the separate living area while my mother had some rest in the afternoons. I explicitly asked during the booking to have two separate beds, which they assured me was no issue.
When arriving in the room, there was only one big bed. After informing the reception, they indicated they wanted to add an other bed in the room, however... the suite is not THAT big and putting another bed would make it very uncomfortable. So finally, after insisting they did manage to make two small beds from the big bed. It was not really done with a lot of pleasure, I did not appreciate this attitude, as I made it clear at booking and I was promised it wouldn't be an issue.
In the evening we had some room service, food was really good.
When we went to sleep, my mother found her pillow too thick. I asked the reception if they had thinner pillows. I know the person at the reception did the best he could and really looked everywhere, but couldn't find a thin pillow. Maybe we are too spoiled, but I don't think a pillow menu or even thin pillow should be too much to ask at such a kind of hotel.
My mother got sick at night (nothing to do with the food) and made some stains on the undersheet. When leaving to visit Utrecht the next day, we clearly pulled off the sheets, so the stains would be well visible. When returning in the afternoon, we saw that housekeeping did not change the undersheet. I found this really unacceptable, as you could not have missed the stains. When calling the reception asking for houskeeping to change the sheets, they indicated we had to wait until 5pm as there was no housekeeping available at that time (I don't understand this is possible in a 5 star hotel). So again I had to insist and tell them that my mother couldn't wait for another 2 hours to get some rest.... it's not nice if you need to insist. One of the reasons why taking a suite in a 5 star hotel is to get some level of service. Finally at the end two persons from the reception came to change the sheets. But again after insisting.
I think it is really unacceptable for a 5 star hotel. You pay a high price for a nice room and good service, this is worth to me, however if you need to insist and staff makes you feel like what ever you are asking is too much you feel ripped off.... that's not why I go to a 5 star hotel. I do expect some level of service at an upscale place.
So although the hotel was nice, room was ok, food and roomservice fine, location magnificent, I would not return there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family