“Excellent for a short stay”
Review of Ibis Utrecht

Ibis Utrecht
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Utrecht
Manchester, England
“Excellent for a short stay”
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I stayed overnight with friends for a football match. The hotel is very easy to find by road and there was ample parking at the back. As is common in the Netherlands, the receptionist spoke excellent English. She was very welcoming and checked us in efficiently. Having established our plans (into Utrecht for the afternoon, then train to Amsterdam for the match) she furnished us with a map and showed us how to get to the station and the town centre. She thoughtfully organised twin rooms with separate beds, which we 4 lads appreciated! She was also thoughtful in offering us two "keys" (ie swipe cards) and also offered us breakfast.

The hotel is well located - it is less than half a mile or so from the A2 motorway. It's a short tram ride into town, but we elected to walk - we took a very pleasant 20 minute leisurely and picturesque stroll alongside the canal to Utrecht Centraal Station (from where it's a 15 minute train ride to Amsterdam, 4 trains an hour) and on walking through the station you find yourself in the retail centre of the city.

The hotel is modern, and the rooms were quite small, but spotlessly clean. The beds were very comfortable, and the rooms were well lit - not always the case in the Netherlands, where there seems to be a tendency for gloomy rooms, dark decoration and dim lighting. There was a TV which we didn't use, but it had a comprehensive channel list. The window had both a blind and curtains, so it was possible to get a thorough blackout if necessary. There was no wardrobe as such, but there was a clothes rail in a little alcove in the corner with plenty of hanging space. I spotted two electrical outlets, which is handy if there are two of you and both want to charge their phones, or you want to charge a phone whilst running a laptop. These are conveniently placed next to the desk (which is more of a shelf, but big enough to work on if visiting on business) but also handy for the bed if you use your mobile as an alarm. A single upright chair is provided for the desk, and there is a padded seat area next to the bed. There are no tea or coffee making facilities, but I wouldn't mark the hotel down for this as it is usual for hotels in the Netherlands in my experience.

The shower room (no bath) was also spotlessly clean, there were good supplies of shower gel/shampoo in squeeze bottles by the shower and by the handbasin, and there was a built-in hairdryer.

We visited the bar in the evening - it's open until 0100 but we didn't get back until 0030 so weren't in there long - long enough, however, to note that it too was bright and clean and welcoming, and the barman was pleasant and friendly.

Breakfast was €14.00 each. This was buffet style, and you can just help yourself to what you want. A full English is provided - the usual Continental interpretation of a full English, that is - small rashers of sweet cure bacon, little cocktail sausages (nice tasty ones) and scrambled eggs, and mushrooms were also provided. I enjoyed it, I quite like Continental full English breakfasts, but you have to accept they aren't the same as the ones we get in England! There was also a good range of cold meats and cheeses, croissants, pain au raisin and sweet pastries, a variety of breads and a toaster that (unusually for a hotel) actually toasted bread properly! There were the usual spreads in little pots, as well as chocolate sprinkles (very Dutch). Also, cereals, very decent machine coffee, fruit juices and that peculiar sour buttermilk (karnemelk) that seems so popular in the Netherlands. We were all very happy with it and it set us up for the day.

This is a budget hotel and it might be a little compact for an extended stay, but my overall impression was that for a few days it offers everything you need, the service was excellent, everything was clean and well maintained, and we all felt it was excellent value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dancing_Badger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Me and my family came to this gotel for wekend and just wanted to visit Amsterdam. Everything was fine, unless the administrator of this hotel decided to take from my credit card 456 euros for two rooms for two nights instead of 284 euros. More than that, when we just came to hotel and were doing registration he took money for breakfast from my bank account, but in the morning we weren't in the list! So I had to pay for that breakfast by cash. Wonderful isn't it? When I told about all those situation to another administrator, she told me "no problem!". She told me that she'll tak another 284 euros and return me all previous payments (about 456 euros). And you know what? today, on the 25.10.12 Another 284 euros has been taken from my bank account but I still hadn't recieved anithing back! So, for now, it's look like I have payed for two rooms for two night 741 euros. You really think its ok? Your company took from me 456 euros just for nothing and doesn't want return them to me! i really dissapointed...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank drummer_machine
roussillon
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I dont often write about business style hotels, but this place really stands out as great value (I got 3 nights for around 160€ with a special offer) and the staff are very good indeed. I guess Ibis hotels have had an uplift as the whole place looks fresh and more modern. The front desk and restaurant staff were very friendly and super-helpful. Rooms are simple but very clean and a reasonable size for the price. The beds are not the highest quality, but they're big. All in all, it was way beyond what I expected, which rarely happens with cheap hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Prestwood, Bucks., U.K.
Reviewed 30 August 2012

With the ongoing major roadworks all around that sector of Utrecht, the Hotel was a little difficult to find but after the first time it was a lot easier. The staff were superb - both pleasant and helpful. A couple of observations however. Personally I hate the individual pots of butter, jam, marmalade at breakfsat because you end up with a mountain of empty messy pots. My wife and I don't have a cooked breakfast so by the time we have finished with croissant or toast and butter and jam we have a veritable mountain of empty sticky cartons with nowhere to put them. A "table refuse pot" would enable folk to keep the table looking the high standard that it was when we sat down to eat. The other point about breakfast is that if you can't have cooked breakfast for dietary reasons we felt that 28 euros (for 2) was a tad on the high side. That having been said, the choice of food was excellent and the room was spot on.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 August 2012

If this review were based only upon one member of staff's hospitality, I would give 10 stars (out of 5 even). Marie-Louise was absolutely charming and went out of her way to deliver outstanding service and I am sure she and her speciality French toast will be sorely missed.

During my stay(s) at the Ibis, the other staff members have also been very obliging and friendly. The restaurant is excellent and the rooms are simple and meet your needs. Particularly good as a business hotel, but I guess I am biased since I stayed there on business.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 14 August 2012

No problems with hotel just bit far from old centre of Utrecht. 15-20 min walk to horrible modern
Station/shopping centre, then good 10-15min walk through shoping centre/station & finally
5-15mins to Oude Graght.

Near impossible to avoid HC/CS centre.

Other than above old centre of Utrech not wothout charm.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family